Double DIN Android Head Unit (InsaneAudio TJ1001) Chinese Knock-Off Review

One thing to add though is that for some reason my factory subwoofer (if you can even call it that) isn't working. I can tell you though that even without that sub, it sounds way better than my older kenwood (or whatever brand) aftermarket head unit.

I'm probably just going to remove the sub, build a custom 10" box that fits inside where the factory sub was and mount a nice amp under the seat.

I know this is super old. But did you ever find a fix for this? Because I purchased one of these similar radios back in 2013 for my 97 TJ at the time worked great. Then few years later I got an LJ which had the stock sub and of course to my surprise it did not work either. Well there is a fix. Im willing to bet the unit you have has probably the wires reversed and does not match what the chinesee instruction manual lists as the subwoofer wiring is.

Let me know if you need the solution I may be able to dig up the exact colors but you just have to flip the pinouts on their stock connector and all is well. I've had the older style radio now in my LJ for close to 5 years without issue.

So, uhm, I ordered a Chinese knockoff stereo for the LJ. There is nothing else like it on the market. The closest thing is the InsaneAudio TJ1001... but I'd argue that the Chinese knockoff is better. It runs Android... I wish it ran iOS but that'll never happen.

You can get it here:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M071MDQ/?tag=wranglerorg-20

View attachment 4487

View attachment 4488

Since it runs android, I've installed Pandora, Netflix, Google Maps, and Plex!

It's freakin amazing. Looks stock too.
Where do you think they're all made to begin with? Even a lot of the so-called German stereos are manufactured in China! Good deal, go Trump.

The TJ1001 is straight from China, the interface is the Windows CE type radio. That is what is installed in my LJ but the Chineese version that is 1/4 of the cost of the TJ1001 that I picked up back in 2013.

Only thing they added a custom boot logo to it that shows Insane Audio vs. Jeep.

If you ever want to install a typical 6 inch screen (I think. It doesn't say. But I doubt the opening is big enough for a 7" or larger.) double din head unit. Here's a link for replacement bezels for early and late model TJ's.

https://www.custominstallparts.com/store/p246/Double_Din_Dash_Kit_-_Wrangler_​ ​1997-2002.html
Also if you want a recommendation for a good overseas double din head unit place. This is it.

www.eincar.com

I got a double din unit from them about two years ago. For my Yukon. It was $140. And worked great. I even messed it up by playing around with the resolution settings and locking myself out. They graciously offered me a new one in exchange. Even though it was my own fault. They sell HUNDREDS of head units. It's mind boggling. And a bit overwhelming searching for a head unit there. But just educate yourself on the key components you want in a head unit and go from there. I would stick with an Android unit. With 5.1 or above installed. And avoid all the free add ons. Like backup cameras and gps antennas. I can find way better for cheap on Amazon and Ebay.

Here's a midrange unti from eincar. But they have many for less and more money. You'll just have to check the differences. They are minor. Just get quad core and android 6 if you can. Or higher. I think they can be upgraded too. But not sure about that.

https://www.eincar.com/eincar-brand...etooth-support-mirror-link-built-in-wifi.html

Reactions: theRealCrazy
Really wish I wouldn't have seen this....I am in the middle of installing my system and have been thinking about a new deck. This would cover all of the bases and then some......hmmmmm. Lots of good info here

Is there a difference between the early 97-02 model and the late 03-06 models? The pics look the same. But I'm assuming the opening is different in the bezel? And how does this compare to say a Kenwood single din with removable faceplate? Any big audio improvement?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=262875577742
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/328...&terminal_id=597594b2122a4b918547bbe89b4acc71
99-04

99 to 04.JPG

04-06

04 to 06.JPG

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Is there a difference between the early 97-02 model and the late 03-06 models? The pics look the same. But I'm assuming the opening is different in the bezel? And how does this compare to say a Kenwood single din with removable faceplate? Any big audio improvement?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=262875577742
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/328...&terminal_id=597594b2122a4b918547bbe89b4acc71
99-04

View attachment 104575

04-06

View attachment 104574
Not sure if these are really any different, but there may be some difference in the wiring because there are some differences in the factory stereos for different TJ years (e.g., slider equalizers vs. button-menu equalizers). This is basically an Android computer. It takes about 30 seconds to boot from when you start the car. All of the functions (radio, bluetooth, navigation, etc.) are applications running on Android. For streaming, it needs an internet connection, such as your phone in hotspot mode. If you have a sizeable digital music collection, you can put as much as you want onto a micro-SD or USB and it can play off of that. Pretty different from a Kenwood unit. The sound is fine for me, but I am not an audiophile by any means. I did have to fine-tune the output gain for each different playing modes. It looks very clean, almost stock. The fit in the 1.5 DIN space is perfect without any aftermarket bezels, and I believe that is true for any year TJ.

The Android version (knobs above bottom row of "buttons") is preferable over the Windows CE/WINCE version (knobs below all buttons).

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Antennas may be different - the end on the antenna extension has a female end on the stock radios after 02'. Just happened to find this out yesterday. I'll put a pic up once I get home so the difference can be seen.

Not sure if these are really any different, but there may be some difference in the wiring because there are some differences in the factory stereos for different TJ years (e.g., slider equalizers vs. button-menu equalizers). This is basically an Android computer. It takes about 30 seconds to boot from when you start the car. All of the functions (radio, bluetooth, navigation, etc.) are applications running on Android. For streaming, it needs an internet connection, such as your phone in hotspot mode. If you have a sizeable digital music collection, you can put as much as you want onto a micro-SD or USB and it can play off of that. Pretty different from a Kenwood unit. The sound is fine for me, but I am not an audiophile by any means. I did have to fine-tune the output gain for each different playing modes. It looks very clean, almost stock. The fit in the 1.5 DIN space is perfect without any aftermarket bezels, and I believe that is true for any year TJ.

The Android version (knobs above bottom row of "buttons") is preferable over the Windows CE/WINCE version (knobs below all buttons).

My android 6 inch 2 din head unit had the same description. 30 second boot up was more like 15 seconds or less. Unless you were listening to radio before. It would come on pretty immediately. I like this version better. As it doesn't take a huge 6 inch hole in your dash to mount it. But all the gps and hotspot stuff seems better done using your phone than either of these units. YMMV.

That was just my experience with my double din 6 inch unit. The gps was better on my phone. And I think landscape it would be just about as big as the screen on this unit anyway. For radio and a back up camera it worked very well. But after a while I didn't use the back up cam. Unless I was in a very tight spot. Either way you couldn't just rely on the back up cam. You needed to look to. As the back up cams are wide angle. And don't always translate how near you are to something. Good to see how close your bumper is to someone else though.

The one thing I like about this unit in this thread over my Kenwood removable faceplate stereo and my previous 6 inch double din unit. Is the knobs. For god sakes why can't they make buttons that you don't need a magnifying glass to see. And tiny lady fingers to operate. Especially when bumping along in a Jeep. My 6 inch double din unit wasn't as bad as my Kenwood. But man even the radio station presets are a tiny little row of buttons along the bottom. That you can't really see. You have look close and touch each one with the tip of your finger. Not an easy feat when bouncing down the road in a Jeep. And the knob is just way to sensitive.

The only thing I don't like about this unit is it's price. $400 plus for the early unit. Would be way better spent on a full size 6 inch double din unit and a new bezel to fit. Far bigger screen. And probably even more functionality or at least the same. And a 6 inch gps screen vs the small screen on this unit.

And how does this compare to say a Kenwood single din with removable faceplate? Any big audio improvement?
I returned the inexpensive Kenwood I had (actually returned two of them) for a double DIN Sony. Very happy. The Kenwood would not play well why trying to use bluetooth for music.

The audio quality is pretty much the same on any new stereo. Check the specs. I'm sure you can spend a bunch of money for more but when i was looking at up to $400 the specs were all the same.

I returned the inexpensive Kenwood I had (actually returned two of them) for a double DIN Sony. Very happy. The Kenwood would not play well why trying to use bluetooth for music.

The audio quality is pretty much the same on any new stereo. Check the specs. I'm sure you can spend a bunch of money for more but when i was looking at up to $400 the specs were all the same.

If there's no difference between the two. And I was looking to upgrade. I'd buy a new bezel. (You can probably find one cheaper than that link I gave above. I know their on amazon and ebay.) and a sub $200 6 inch double din head unit. I bought mine thru www.eincar.com Not a huge difference between a $150 unit and a $300 or even $400 unit. As long as you've got a fairly current version of Android and it's quad core. I wouldn't buy their add ons - cams, gps antennas etc. As they are low quality and sold in a package. Better to just buy the head unit and the extras off amazon or ebay. Avoid Windows CE.

At least with a 6 inch unit and your phone as a hotspot. You've got a decent sized monitor for gps.

*But in the end? Unless you have a hard top and good security. I'd go with a removable Samsung tablet and a phone. And the associated mounts and gps antenna. And a cheap removable faceplate single din stereo. That way you've got everything a souble din head unit could do. (Except play dvd's and cds) But nothing that could be ripped off out of your Jeep. For about the same cost or less. Depending on how much you spend on mounts. And you'd have a 10 inch monitor (with the Samsung tablet) for gps and other apps.

For me it's not just the cost of the head unit if it gets ripped off. It's the damage to your dash. And the installation. That either can take you a long time or cost you if you have it done professionally. Having what essentially amounts to a convertible - whether your running a soft top or literally no top. It's a bitch to have anything other than a removable faceplate stereo. As you can quickly lock it up or take it with you.

I doubt anyone would want a $150 chinese knock off double din 6 inch head unit. But crack heads don't always think straight. And even if it's a $20 outcome. That's a hit of crack. They'll steal anything. Now if you live in a safer area and don't leave your Jeep unattended. Your fine. But when I'm driving around town running errands. I don't want a stereo staring every crackhead in the face. We have very specific challenges running a Jeep. I hated my security glove box. Cause it's ugly as hell! But it's ability to store a faceplate from my stereo is worth it's weight and ugliness.

Last edited:
Just to add options, I went on Amazon and got the Atoto A6 pro..

But got to think they all come from same Chinese factory? But these instructions were very good English and they answered my email immediately.

[New] ATOTO A6 Pro A6Y2721PR Double DIN Android Car Navigation Stereo - 2X Bluetooth with aptX - Quick Charge/Ultra Preamplifier - in Dash Entertainment Multimedia Radio,WiFi,Support 256G SD &More https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G7X2ZJ3/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Basically an Android computer in your dash with great sound.

Can add Dash cam, OBD2, tire pressure, has back up cam, etc

Blue tooth, Google play store, etc.

Has GPS.. wish it was more like a garmin instead of tethering to ur phone but I pre downloaded the entire state map.. I have it in my truck and would like to put it in my Jeep as well.

I can get Rockford fosgate stuff at cost and I still went with this.

Oh and I would like a volume knob instead of a push button volume control. Huge screen