Double DIN Android Head Unit (InsaneAudio TJ1001) Chinese Knock-Off Review

I know this is super old. But did you ever find a fix for this? Because I purchased one of these similar radios back in 2013 for my 97 TJ at the time worked great. Then few years later I got an LJ which had the stock sub and of course to my surprise it did not work either. Well there is a fix. Im willing to bet the unit you have has probably the wires reversed and does not match what the chinesee instruction manual lists as the subwoofer wiring is.

Let me know if you need the solution I may be able to dig up the exact colors but you just have to flip the pinouts on their stock connector and all is well. I've had the older style radio now in my LJ for close to 5 years without issue.
Hi! Having the same subwoofer issue with my Xtrons unit on 2005 TJ. Would appreciate any info if you remember. All speakers are working just not the sub.

Hello. Didn’t have to, subwoofer works fine with the supplied cables.

^^ EDIT to this turns out, I had a bent pin on my rear driver side speaker, so that wasn't working. As a result, the subwoofer was powering fine. Today I got all 4 speakers working and guess what? Subwoofer no longer fires. Trying the wire swap suggestion and will update.

@pagrey Thank you! I don't know how you figured that wiring out but it is spot on. I tried the C2/C3 swap only and that didn't get my subwoofer working. I have the Xtrons Android 9 unit and I definitely had to swap polarity on C2/C3 AND C13/C14. Sub and all 4 speakers working correctly now! Thanks a ton.

I just bought one of these off eBay - new in the box, straight from China. Android 10.

Anyone know if the wiring issue thing is an error that has been corrected, or is this a case of the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing?

Looking forward to seeing if I have issues sound tuning considering PO installed a Clarion XC1410 4 channel amp and Phoenix Gold Sub-amp and Phoenix Gold Sub.
I could always pull the amps I guess. PO's original setup was the above amps driven by a Pioneer DXT-X2669UI. I still have the Pioneer - I just didn't like it - plus I have limited use of my right arm so added steering wheel control is important to me, and phone capability and GPS.

mind sharing a link? Been searching for one but can't find it on ebay and amazon is sold out

There are several resources on eBay, I just checked - using "xtron psd50" as a search term. I would send you the link but there are variations on what you can buy, with the cheapest being like $219.00.

FWIW - I bought the one that included the OBD dongle. Total with free shipping and Texas state Sales Tax was $244.63. I ordered either last Friday or Saturday, it delivered yesterday - shipped FedEx from Hong Kong.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
This is the one I bought. As @MrMark52 said, there are different variations. Some come as 100% touchscreen. This one on the link has knobs. http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=113855308377
FWIW - my purchase receipt was to UG Electronics Ltd.. Typing that into a Google search takes you to https://www.ugsage.com/5-inch-hd-sc...n-dsp-custom-fit-for-chrysler-jeep-dodge.html . Then use the search to go to the page for the PSD50JWRJL.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
New member here, just wanted to thank all of you who have posted to this thread as you've greatly assisted me in my Android HU research and wanted to share some info from my recent hands-on experience.

Last week I ordered a TJ specific unit from Amazon branded as "MCWAUTO Car Radio ...". I chose this specific unit because of the reviews and the included 32GB of RAM.

Link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X556HLQ/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Observations
  1. Based on the button layout and OS menus, it appears to be a clone of the XTRONS unit
  2. Fit was fine and it powered right up with the included harness.
  3. Initial time to boot to the menu screen takes 36 seconds and another 15 seconds from there until music begins playing. Any secondary boot (within the 60 minutes standby timeframe) only takes 3 seconds to being playing music.
  4. My factory installed sub worked with the included harness but I had to go into the audio settings and turn on the 'Ex Amp' toggle. It was off by default.
  5. Polarity : All of my speaker connections using the provided harness were in reverse polarity. I used an iOS app 'Speaker Pop' that sends a signal through the speakers and uses the mic on the iPhone to determine polarity. I ended up swapping all speaker pair pins and now have correct polarity in all 4 factory speakers. Sounds natural to my ears.
  6. Bluetooth works great for music but I could not get it to connect with the Veepeak BLE+ ODB Scanner. Will attempt connection to the WiFi version of this OBD scanner later this week.
  7. Installing apps from the Google Play store was a breeze. Connected to my home WiFi from the garage :)
  8. There is an included App called 'EasyConnect' that lets you mirror your phone's screen on the HU display.
  9. I tried to install a few inclinometer apps from the Google Play store but none of the ones I found displayed correctly on this particular display (buggy or cutting off parts of the screen).
  10. Bonus: The screen is totally visible when I have my polarized sunglasses on & a backup camera was included but I have not connected it yet. Nice touches!
One minor annoyance is that I was using a Bluetooth headset for a call and when I walked to my Jeep and started it up, the headunit took over the call but never "played" the call audio over the speakers. Seamless call transfer is not so much a reality here. Works well for initiating a new call, not for picking up an existing one.

I'll be upgrading the factory speakers next but I have not fully decided whether I'll will keep this unit or not. Just wanted to share my experience with the group as this thread has been extremely helpful in getting me this far with the TJ Android HU.

Cheers!

I used an iOS app 'Speaker Pop' that sends a signal through the speakers and uses the mic on the iPhone to determine polarity. I ended up swapping all speaker pair pins and now have correct polarity in all 4 factory speakers. Sounds natural to my ears.
Great information and the fact that there is an app that will determine speaker polarity is very cool.

New member here, just wanted to thank all of you who have posted to this thread as you've greatly assisted me in my Android HU research and wanted to share some info from my recent hands-on experience.

Last week I ordered a TJ specific unit from Amazon branded as "MCWAUTO Car Radio ...". I chose this specific unit because of the reviews and the included 32GB of RAM.

Observations
  1. Based on the button layout and OS menus, it appears to be a clone of the XTRONS unit
  3. Initial time to boot to the menu screen takes 36 seconds and another 15 seconds from there until music begins playing. Any secondary boot (within the 60 minutes standby timeframe) only takes 3 seconds to being playing music.
  4. My factory installed sub worked with the included harness but I had to go into the audio settings and turn on the 'Ex Amp' toggle. It was off by default.
  5. Polarity : All of my speaker connections using the provided harness were in reverse polarity. I used an iOS app 'Speaker Pop' that sends a signal through the speakers and uses the mic on the iPhone to determine polarity. I ended up swapping all speaker pair pins and now have correct polarity in all 4 factory speakers. Sounds natural to my ears.
  6. Bluetooth works great for music but I could not get it to connect with the Veepeak BLE+ ODB Scanner. Will attempt connection to the WiFi version of this OBD scanner later this week.
  7. Installing apps from the Google Play store was a breeze. Connected to my home WiFi from the garage :)
  8. There is an included App called 'EasyConnect' that lets you mirror your phone's screen on the HU display.
  9. I tried to install a few inclinometer apps from the Google Play store but none of the ones I found displayed correctly on this particular display (buggy or cutting off parts of the screen).
  10. Bonus: The screen is totally visible when I have my polarized sunglasses on & a backup camera was included but I have not connected it yet. Nice touches!
One minor annoyance is that I was using a Bluetooth headset for a call and when I walked to my Jeep and started it up, the headunit took over the call but never "played" the call audio over the speakers. Seamless call transfer is not so much a reality here. Works well for initiating a new call, not for picking up an existing one.

I'll be upgrading the factory speakers next but I have not fully decided whether I'll will keep this unit or not. Just wanted to share my experience with the group as this thread has been extremely helpful in getting me this far with the TJ Android HU.

Cheers!

Yes, your radio is identical to mine - even with the 2/32GB and Android 10.

I haven’t installed mine yet, and although I’ve looked at it, I have not noticed if a name was imprinted on the face, if so was it Xtron or whoever it was bought from. Looks like you took the option of OBD and backup camera where as I only got the OBD (even though I have one from the cheap 2 DIN that I’m going to pull), and I’ve already got a camera that I installed when I installed the 2 DIN (Something like $7.00 off Amazon. Drilled a hole in the bumper to mount because I didn’t want to have to deal with wires or camera when removing the spare or opening the tailgate or dropping/raising the soft top.

Cool on the speaker app! I was looking for something like that just this past week. I found something, but what you found sounds like Exactly what I was looking for.

BTW - I replaced the dash and overhead speakers on mine with Boss Audio MR50B, 5-1/4”. Bought the brackets and rear shields for the dash mounts. That speaker app will help me confirm my suspicions that I got everything hooked up right (I was working around PO’s speaker install which included a Clarion XC1410 driving those two pair).

Thanks for the update! 😀 Looking forward to hearing your satisfaction after you’ve had it awhile.

Observations

Cheers!
Does the radio’s backlight/screen brightness dim with the rest of the IP?

Does the radio’s backlight/screen brightness dim with the rest of the IP?

@Fouledplugs The LCD panel has 2 settings for brightness. A 'daytime' and a 'nighttime' and you can set each of those to one of 6 levels of brightness. When you turn on the headlights, the LCD panel dims to the 'nighttime' setting.

However, the buttons on the left and right sides of the unit get brighter and darker with each click on the multifunction turn switch in sync with the dash and HVAC lights.

Other notes ... I typically stream my music using Plex and tonight when I tested using the installed PlexAmp on the HU as well as playing music from my iPhone unfortunately the track forward and track back buttons did not control either app. You have to press the FDW/REV buttons on the screen or the phone to change songs.

One cool fun thing ... while I was driving with my son tonight he asked about Gwen Stefani and he was able to pull up a YouTube video while I was hotspot tethered to my phone and it played flawlessly. Fun times!

Reactions: Fouledplugs
Do you know if the radio can display 2 cameras? 1 Front and 1 Rear in any format?

I'm just starting to look for a radio and this one seems very nice.

I was also considering a Joying 8.8" unit, but it looks like they are discontinued.

The unit does have 2 video inputs and I bought 2 cameras as I plan on using it that way but I have not tested it yet. Once I get the cameras connected and I can verify ... I will let you all know.

Additionally I found the included navigation app very helpful while running a few local green trails this weekend. The trails were on the NAV and it was very convenient to see where we were on the dash unit vs. a mounted iPhone. My son loved playing DJ from his phone too.

At first I was thinking about going back to a simple non-LCD stereo but with all the benefits of the mounted screen this weekend I'm leaning more toward sticking with this one at this point.

ODB WiFi Update : The WiFi version of the Veepeak worked and paired up perfectly. Data reading through Torque nicely too. The only downside is that you lose your internet connection when connected to the ODB reader as it swaps out WiFi to the ODB reader instead of your mobile phone's hotspot.

I’d like to see your plan/setup for the camera too. I assume someone on the forums has figured out the best way to hardwire the rear camera. I was looking at a couple wireless ones too. If you can just pull power from somewhere near the rear and not run the full set of wires.

It seems like if you pull a “trigger” wire from a backup light that might automatically turn on the backup camera and display on the screen

I’d like to see your plan/setup for the camera too. I assume someone on the forums has figured out the best way to hardwire the rear camera. I was looking at a couple wireless ones too. If you can just pull power from somewhere near the rear and not run the full set of wires.

It seems like if you pull a “trigger” wire from a backup light that might automatically turn on the backup camera and display on the screen
The head unit may have a reverse light input. My cameras ground near the camera and then the RCA has a power wire built in so it can be powered from the head unit.

Reactions: MrMark52

I bought a camera that would fit in the bumper after drilling a hole in the bumper. I routed the wires from the radio to over the steering column and over to the driver side kick panel, then down and under the threshold to the back seat, then up again and over the wheel well (basically I followed the factory wiring harness to driver side tail light. Then I dropped down to the floor of the Jeep and IIRC i found a rubber plug the trailer towing wiring harness went through, then followed that harness to the center of the bumper.
At that point, I drilled a hole in the center of the bumper and installed the camera - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018800TR2/?tag=wranglerorg-20 is the one I bought but it showing “Out of Stock” at this time. There are other vendors of this camera, just look around.
The front lens unscrews and you can remove the bracket. Then use calipers to measure the OD of the threads of the camera body. I drilled a 1/8” pilot hole right smack dab in the center of the bumper (both left and right and top/bottom). Then install the camera. Before tightening down all the way, check to make sure it is rotated correctly so that up is up.

ive found the location to be perfectly adequate for my “stock all the way” (no lift, level chassis, OEM bumper). I’ve not had any real issues (stays clean except for you normal every day road grime, elevation could be a little higher but I’m happy with it) with the placement in the 11 months I’ve had it installed.

I powered it from the radio - I think it was from a reverse signal wire at the radio. For sure when i shift to reverse, the radio I have goes silent and I get a rear view with lines (lines are generated in the camera which also help when you are getting camera position rotated correctly as noted above).

FWIW - I’m using a 2 din Chines radio I bought last year in my ‘03. I got the 2 din bezel for Christmas last year. Fortunately I kept my old bezel and will be installing the Xtron in the next few days (if not today 🤔).
I got that Chinese unit for $47.00, and it’s been a piece of s___ sense. Having had problems initially, I contacted the Seller, and they gave me $20.00 back. But as time has moved on, the intensity of its s___ odor has only increased.
I’ll miss my occasional free 2 weeks of Sirius/XM, but here’s hoping I can stream Pandora (to name 1 streaming service) without issue from the Xtron.

All as yet TBD. 😀