TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Here is the finished product.
IMG_20170810_221103.jpg

I used a double DIN replacement center dash bezel I got from Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SRHX43S/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Here is the head unit I used:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XKTXS3D/?tag=wranglerorg-20

(I think I'll send it back for one with a volume knob, to difficult to adjust while driving)

Other parts

Basic hand tools
Soldering iron
Fine tooth hacksaw blade (without the hacksaw)
Heat shrink tubing
Black electrical tape

Removal

Pull up on the defrost grill to remove it. Then remove the two phillips screws by the top center tray securing the radio/HVAC bezel. Pull the bezel away from the dash - it's held on by six metal clips, three on each side. The clips will probably stay in the dash, pull them out with some needle nose pliers and save them.
IMG_20170810_205644.jpg

Remove the old head unit entirely and the HVAC controls from the dash (I just unplugged the electrical connectors to get the controls far enough out, I didn't want to mess with the vacuum lines)

There is a plastic piece separating the radio and the HVAC, it has to be cut out. I used a hacksaw blade to cut from the top of each side of it down about 3/4 inch and from the bottom of it diagonally up and out to meet the top cut. Be careful on the right side so you don't damage the vacuum lines to the HVAC controls.

This is what you should remove
IMG_20170812_133126.jpg

Installation

You'll need to connect the new stereo's wire harness to the factory stereo harness adapter (one came with the bezel kit I ordered from Amazon). You can use crimp on connectors, but I highly recommend soldering the connections.
Follow the instructions with the adapter harness to make the connections to the head unit's harness.

Here's mine, it's different than probably anyone else since my old head unit didn't have rca outputs for my amp. So I had to make a new wire harness to send the speaker wires to the amp and back to the Jeep's factory connector. This isn't necessary for everybody, and I'll probably replace this with rca cables to my amp later.
IMG_20170810_205602.jpg
IMG_20170425_212503.jpg

Next mount the brackets that came with the bezel to the new head unit. There is a left and right bracket, make sure you put them on the correct sides.

Put the HVAC back in the dash, and connect the antenna adapter that came with the bezel. Install and secure the new head unit for a test fit. Get the bezel WITHOUT the metal clips attached and place it on the dash. Check the fit around the new head unit, and remove the bezel to adjust the placement of the head unit. (I had to do this several times adjusting the L brackets on the head unit to get it aligned with the bezel)

Once you're happy with the fit, pull the head unit out. The new bezel does not come with the tray, you'll need to use the one from the original bezel. It was mounted by melting plastic tabs
sketch-1502558764954.png
The folded over plastic will snap off with a small screwdriver. Take the tray and mount it in the new bezel, you'll have to melt the plastic ridges to secure the tray to the bezel. I used a pair of needle nose vise grips, a penny and a propane torch. I held the penny in the vise-grips, got it good and hot (not glowing hot!) And pressed the five plastic ridges to "weld" the tray in.

You will also need to pop out the two vents and pop them into the new bezel. They push out from the inside of the old bezel.

I mounted the GPS antenna to the top of the vent in the center so it was hidden under the bezel's tray.

Make all the connections to the new head unit and mount it. Turn on the ignition and make sure all the speakers work, radio reception, etc... If everything is ok, put the six metal clips on the bezel and mount it pushing straight into the dash, replace the two screws on top by the tray and replace the defrost grill.

IMG_20170810_205602.jpg

Reactions: Chris
Wow, this is an awesome write-up and an awesome head unit. I'm going to have to pick one of these up for my TJ now.

I'm curious to know how you end up liking it in the long term. Though I guess anything is an improvement over the stock radio!

Thanks for doing this (though my wallet doesn't thank you, haha!).

@badlieutenant, looks like you're going to need one of these now!

Wow, this is an awesome write-up and an awesome head unit. I'm going to have to pick one of these up for my TJ now.

I'm curious to know how you end up liking it in the long term. Though I guess anything is an improvement over the stock radio!

Thanks for doing this (though my wallet doesn't thank you, haha!).

@badlieutenant, looks like you're going to need one of these now!
You're welcome! Thank you for the positive input! I think I'm going to exchange this unit for one with a physical volume knob, the touchscreen volume adjustments are just too distracting while driving.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

You're welcome! Thank you for the positive input! I think I'm going to exchange this unit for one with a physical volume knob, the touchscreen volume adjustments are just too distracting while driving.

Do they make one with a physical volume knob? I agree with what you're saying, the touchscreen volume knob would be a pain.

We also have a 2015 Subaru Outback, and even though it's all touchscreen, the volume knob is still physical.

I'm considering this one

Pumpkin 2GB RAM Android 5.1 Quad Core Car Radio Stereo Bluetooth GPS Navigation 2 din In Dash, 1024600 7 inch DVD CD Player Mirror Link 3G WIFI OBD2 DVR Cam-in https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G6XRGBU/?tag=wranglerorg-20

It looks like this one is a little better and has physical controls.

Oh yeah, I see what you mean. I might go that route too. The physical controls are actually very helpful when you're just trying to do something quickly. Especially when the sun is shining on the screen, making it hard to see the digital controls.

Reactions: Becky
I have a question. I have a marine single din installed now. It has a nice white background that I can see in bright sunlight with the top off. How does the touchscreen do in the sunlight?
I think it will be fine, the screen is pretty bright. Hard to know for sure, I haven't seen the sun since I installed it. I run with the top on but no doors or windows. When the sun finally shows back up I'll update you.

Here's the replacement. This specimen is what I call highly refined Chineseium as opposed to the unfiltered low-grade Chineseium that it replaced. As always, you get what you pay for. So much easier to use, better sound and easier to see. The only downside I've seen is this one is 2mm wider, so I'm going to have to trim the dash a bit.

JOYING 7 Car Stereo 2GB 32GB Android 6.0 Head Unit Double Din Touch Screen Radio Auto Car Audio Indash GPS Navigation with Bluetooth WiFi Mirroring https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M670UWI/?tag=wranglerorg-20
192ecabe9b44d1891828389a7a398474.jpg

Here's the replacement. This specimen is what I call highly refined Chineseium as opposed to the unfiltered low-grade Chineseium that it replaced. As always, you get what you pay for. So much easier to use, better sound and easier to see. The only downside I've seen is this one is 2mm wider, so I'm going to have to trim the dash a bit.

JOYING 7 Car Stereo 2GB 32GB Android 6.0 Head Unit Double Din Touch Screen Radio Auto Car Audio Indash GPS Navigation with Bluetooth WiFi Mirroring https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M670UWI/?tag=wranglerorg-20View attachment 20594

I like that one! The Amazon reviews seem pretty good too. I look forward to hearing how you like it in the long run.

I especially like the manual controls on the left side of it!

I have this Joying unit in my JK. For the price it is an EXTREMELY capable unit. Not perfect, but pretty good. I've had mine since December. They release updates about every month. I do miss Sirius (the app sucks), but the fact that I can load my choice of useful android apps (navi software, PDF's of service manuals, Torque OBD app, etc) makes it really nice. Of course, I still keep a compass and map in my glovebox, but still.

EDIT: I had been wondering if those bezels were any good and if there was room to mount the android head unit there. Thanks for the write-up!

I have this Joying unit in my JK. For the price it is an EXTREMELY capable unit. Not perfect, but pretty good. I've had mine since December. They release updates about every month. I do miss Sirius (the app sucks), but the fact that I can load my choice of useful android apps (navi software, PDF's of service manuals, Torque OBD app, etc) makes it really nice. Of course, I still keep a compass and map in my glovebox, but still.

EDIT: I had been wondering if those bezels were any good and if there was room to mount the android head unit there. Thanks for the write-up!
Have you had any issues with it?

The bezel has a good build quality and had fit the Atoto unit well. The Joying is 2-3mm wider and taller. I've been carefully filing the opening to try to keep it square. Slow going.

You're welcome for the write-up, I've learned a lot here and I'll keep trying to give something back.

Yeah, the joying uses the Asian 2din which is like 180x103mm vs the European 180x100. Annoying. I haven't had too many issues, but others have integrating it with some of the later models (canbus/steering wheel controls). The radio reception seems worse than stock, and one release was kind of funky with the bluetooth IIRC, but I kind of view it like a Jeep... something I tinker with :). The actual clarity is as good or better than the stock Infinity system in my JK. Support is OK, but sometimes there's a language barrier, but overall, for the price, I've been very satisfied.

I'm real close to pulling the trigger on an '06... happy to hear this unit will work in it.

Will it integrate with a camera? Both of my other vehicles have B/U cameras and I'm realizing how often I use them. Would be great to get a front and rear facing camera for the wrangler.

Will it integrate with a camera? Both of my other vehicles have B/U cameras and I'm realizing how often I use them. Would be great to get a front and rear facing camera for the wrangler.

Yes, it can utilize a BU camera just fine. I bought a $9 one off of Amazon and it does it's job. Sorry, I don't have a dashcam, but here's a thread you can check out https://forum.carjoying.com/thread-228-dash-cam.html for more info.

Wow, that's a great picture for such a cheap camera. I like the camera location too.

Does it have backup sensors that warn you when you get close to an object?

Reactions: ScottCO