Double DIN unit help

Brian Love

So I'm seeing in the JK world, they're taking the touch screen units out of Town & County's or Caravans and placing them in the Wrangler. Anyone know if this
A. Possible
B. Is there a retrofit console with the space in it since my Wrangler doesn't have a double din space?

I know there's a small LCD display unit that runs $1000+ for the space we have, but it'd be awesome to run the T&C unit as they're around $200...

Thanks!

So I'm seeing in the JK world, they're taking the touch screen units out of Town & County's or Caravans and placing them in the Wrangler. Anyone know if this
A. Possible
B. Is there a retrofit console with the space in it since my Wrangler doesn't have a double din space?

I know there's a small LCD display unit that runs $1000+ for the space we have, but it'd be awesome to run the T&C unit as they're around $200...

Thanks!

Anything is possible, so yes, it IS possible. It's going to be a LOT of work, I can tell you that much. I've never seen a write-up for such a thing when it comes to retrofitting it to the TJs, so you'd likely be the pioneer in this case. You'd need to be good with reading wiring schematics and wiring / electronics in general.

So yes, it can work, but the question is how much time, effort and money are you willing to put into it to make it work? Personally so me it seems like a complete waste of time unless you spend a lot of time in your vehicle on long road trips and a simple head unit with a Bluetooth won't cut it.

As for a double DIN adapter, well here you go: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SRHX43S/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Reactions: Chief Brohician
I hear ya. I wasn't sure if there would be a wiring harness that would essentially make it plug/play... That console I saw a google image of, but didn't pay attention to the Amazon listing specs on it. Thanks for that link!

I'm more interested in Bluetooth, Sirius Radio (I already have an external unit), and back up camera for plowing and that's where the screen comes in handy. I've tried the aftermarket bluetooth kits/screens, but looking for something to blend in and look stock.

I hear ya. I wasn't sure if there would be a wiring harness that would essentially make it plug/play... That console I saw a google image of, but didn't pay attention to the Amazon listing specs on it. Thanks for that link!

I'm more interested in Bluetooth, Sirius Radio (I already have an external unit), and back up camera for plowing and that's where the screen comes in handy. I've tried the aftermarket bluetooth kits/screens, but looking for something to blend in and look stock.

No plug-and-play harness out there that I know of. If it were me I would just go with a nice Bluetooth head unit that pairs to your phone. Sure, it's not as cool as an in-dash touch screen, but it will make your life much less of a headache!

I've thought about those single din, pop out screen players... Biggest issues are it definitely screams aftermarket (which with a soft-top on in the summer, I'm not sure I like enticing break-ins... and secondly it'd block the top vents (which yes, there's the floor and defroster...). I guess call me old fashioned, but after having MANY cars with aftermarket mods, I like the clean "factory" look.

I've been researching some more, and it looks like the only double din console out there is the one Chris linked earlier, but doesn't appear to be a huge undertaking. The wiring would be the next hangup... Hmm...

Reactions: Chief Brohician
I've been researching some more, and it looks like the only double din console out there is the one Chris linked earlier, but doesn't appear to be a huge undertaking. The wiring would be the next hangup... Hmm...

It wouldn't be that huge of an undertaking to get a double DIN console in there, not at all. Then you could fit an aftermarket double DIN unit in there with built in backup camera functionality.

Try this on for size. This is the complete 2 din bezel for our Wranglers that I have installed. They say for 03 to 06 but it can be used on earlier models as I did.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SRHX43S/?tag=wranglerorg-20

2078265d1430532801-legit-2-din-head-unit-install-daily-drivers-rejoice-r11e.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian Love
Well damn, I guess the asking price of $150 for everything included isn't so bad. I just wish it also included the coin tray! How easy is it to remove the current one to add it to the aftermarket bezel?

Well damn, I guess the asking price of $150 for everything included isn't so bad. I just wish it also included the coin tray! How easy is it to remove the current one to add it to the aftermarket bezel?

Coin tray? What coin tray?

Not a big deal to remove, I used my soldering gun with the flat spoon like tip to heat the plastic tabs. I initially thought it was going to be a bigger deal then it was.

You could do what I did. I have a BOSS BV7949B Single Din Radio. Its got a Touchscreen, Bluetooth, and 2 inputs so you could run a backup and front camera if you like. I've had it installed for a couple months now and its awesome! Its got everything I could of asked for in a radio and looks really nice too.

Here is a link to where I got it on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TKGSMJ6/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Reactions: Chris