Downshifting Rattle

tylerTJ03

I’ve not been able to find a discussion about this yet so if there is one, my apologies.
I have a 03 Wrangler 4.0 and recently I’ve noticed that when engine breaking, primarily in 2nd gear, and slightly in 3rd gear, a metal rattling noise can be heard until the jeeps rpms catch up to speed. It doesn’t rattle when shifting up, putting it into gear, or anything else. I am curious as to what this could possibly be.
Anyone have any ideas?

I’ve not been able to find a discussion about this yet so if there is one, my apologies.
I have a 03 Wrangler 4.0 and recently I’ve noticed that when engine breaking, primarily in 2nd gear, and slightly in 3rd gear, a metal rattling noise can be heard until the jeeps rpms catch up to speed. It doesn’t rattle when shifting up, putting it into gear, or anything else. I am curious as to what this could possibly be.
Anyone have any ideas?
Pinion noise is possible- they tend to do that on decel-

You might drain the trans fluid and look for metal shavings or the like too.

Also check your u joints- weird stuff goes on and noises are very hard to pin point.

Pinion noise is possible- they tend to do that on decel-

You might drain the trans fluid and look for metal shavings or the like too.

Also check your u joints- weird stuff goes on and noises are very hard to pin point.
Which would you recommend starting with? I’ve had my jeep for a little over a year and a half and while I’ve had to fix multiple things, I’ve not run into this issue yet.

Which would you recommend starting with? I’ve had my jeep for a little over a year and a half and while I’ve had to fix multiple things, I’ve not run into this issue yet.
I’d put the rear on jackstands and get someone in it to handle the gas and brakes- just be really careful-

Or pull the front driveshaft and see if that helps