Downsizing tires in the future I think maybe?

JTrigg

It came with 35"s. Don't really have a problem with them, but come time to put new tires on it, considering going down a bit. It has a lift, and is very much a "climb into" type jeep.

For the foreseeable future, I have no aspirations to do heavy offroad or mudding. Beach cruising and mild offroad are likely. However, one of the primary reasons it was bought, as a second vehicle / toy is I live in Gulf Coast Texas, and the last 18 months has brought in 3 heavy tropical events. My drive, one way, to work is 36 miles and involves some rural backroad type stuff with the realities of 24" water in some spots and mandatory detours into strange areas where 12" to 18" water is not out of line. Have watched folks have to sleep in our parking lot a day or two. Don't want it to be me next time.

Anyway, no specific plan. Looking for thoughts on those in the know, or have done similar, or decided not to. I like the lift and ground clearance, but am pretty sure I am at the limit with 35's. Might want to come a bit closer in from the edge....

33s would be the natural choice,,, maybe 33x10.50s ? Love that HighLine.

I built bigger everytime til I hit 35s, then a kid fell in love and wanted to trade TJs, instead I sold him the lift and tires and went back to 33s. Best choice until I went to even skinnier tires last summer. Going bigger I never noticed the trade offs but going smaller just WOW better ride, better gas mileage, better steering, handling.

35s are great at 5psi climbing a waterfall but they suck at everything else.....

Last edited:
Reactions: Blondie70
What gear ratio do the axles have and what type of lift is installed (height, brand, model etc.)?

Reactions: jjvw
X2. Start with measuring the actual lift height and find out the gearing.

I don't know that the brand or model of lift is necessary. But a picture of it would say a lot. Is it all springs? Body lift? And spring spacers? Could be pretty easy to lower it an inch or so if any spacers are being used. Then 33s would be great.

Don't know too much about the build. The person that did it and I are separated by the previous owner. Not sure of the gear ratio, etc. Kind of learning on it as I go. If you read my intro post, you kind of get the idea of how this all came about, but (in addition to that) I had been looking for a jeep, and really had no plans on anything with this sort of a set up. But it was local, the price was very reasonable, and all the things that needed to be done to get it back on the road were well within my general mechanical skill set. So...it is a running project more than anything else. But any advice is good advice, even if I don't take it.

Also...if someone can tell me what the stock lift is, I can run a tape on it tonight or tomorrow...

20200114_091457.jpg

Last edited:
Measure the height of that spring. Then measure the height of that ACOS thing.

The good news is that your Jeep likely isn't built to handle 35s very well. ;)

Measure the height of that spring. Then measure the height of that ACOS thing.

ground to bottom of the pan = ~24"

Spring = ~13"

the "ACOS thing" = ~ 3"

All measurements done in the dark and fast, so give or take a margin of error of some sort.

Reactions: mots