Downtown Portland is flooded!

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Thank god I drive a Jeep, the rain here just won't let up!

12339106_10205669505001052_7056937161782178560_o.jpg

Ouch! I wonder what the river is doing over the falls up in Oregon City? This isn't supposed to let up until Wednesday some time, either, with the heaviest rainfall occurring on Tuesday.

Ouch! I wonder what the river is doing over the falls up in Oregon City? This isn't supposed to let up until Wednesday some time, either, with the heaviest rainfall occurring on Tuesday.

Yeah I'm not sure what it's doing in OC.

All this rain is good especially after such a dry Summer. Seriously though, it makes me glad I have a Jeep that can actually manage. If you look at the cars in that photo there's going to be crap ton of totaled cars due to flood damage.

Me too. It's to bad that the 'Burbon is out with a busted transfer case right now. It's got a ton of ground clearance and the wife likes to drive it when the weather gets bad. The NW River Forecast Center isn't predicting any flooding on the major rivers locally right now. We're getting lucky on this one. The Willamette is still something like 12' below flood stage. The Wilson was up and roaring yesterday. Completely blown out. It'll be interesting to see what the Trask, Kilchis and Lakiamute do. I hope we get some snow pack out of this. We need it.

Here in Beaverton where I live it's just normal rain, no flooding or anything other than some standing water on the side of the streets.

Other than that it looks like most of the flooding is downtown Portland. Can't imagine the commute to work in this weather, makes me glad I work from home!

Anyways, snow pack would be nice, that's one thing we need more than anything else. Still, I'm thankful for all the rain, it does help!

Went out to fill the Jeep with gas a little while ago. The emergency alert system came on the radio with all the beeps and boops. I thought "Oh Crap! ISIS got stupid!" No, Johnson Creek is flooding. It's raining and Johnson Creek is flooding. I laughed so hard I about ran the Jeep into a ditch. If it rains, Johnson Creek is going to flood. Gotta Love Portland!

Out here in Yamhill County, we have about the same thing going on. The creeks are up, the storm drains that are plugged with leaves are filling the streets with water and trees are falling down. Normal stuff for a good rainfall. Nothing to get excited about yet.

Went out to fill the Jeep with gas a little while ago. The emergency alert system came on the radio with all the beeps and boops. I thought "Oh Crap! ISIS got stupid!" No, Johnson Creek is flooding. It's raining and Johnson Creek is flooding. I laughed so hard I about ran the Jeep into a ditch. If it rains, Johnson Creek is going to flood. Gotta Love Portland!

HAHAHA! You'd think living in the rain this long most Portlanders would be used to this.

Reactions: Bermudacat
Short memories or something. Who knows. I gave up on Portland about 30 years ago. About the time the Oregon Journal newspaper went out of business. Now, we keep it around for entertainment purposes only.

I don't blame you. We want to move out of the city and into the country so bad, we're just waiting on some things before that happens and we're trying to find a place that is in the country, affordable, but not so far removed from a city that we couldn't go to a decent sized grocery store, gym, or something like that.

Make sure to check the schools out very thoroughly as well. Huge differences in the quality of education out there. It's expensive as well. There are a ton of folks that want to bail on the city. Prices are stupid high right now for most everything related to housing in the more rural areas. Oldest Daughter is thinking of moving way out and home schooling.

Yep, schools is another thing we're looking at very thoroughly and home schooling may always be an option as well! I'm doing my due diligence first.

Check it out, they shut down highway 217 (near me) because of flooding. So many people coming home from work will be screwed, that's a major highway!

11228512_10153333087551448_8811286206593532733_n.png

Yep, schools is another thing we're looking at very thoroughly and home schooling may always be an option as well! I'm doing my due diligence first.
If you plan on homeschooling your kids, keep the options open to them to go to a public or private(options are good). I was home schooled until my sophomore year of highschool, I wish my parents would have let me switch earlier, as homeschooling was not for me, I excelled in public school while my sister did well being home schooled.
[emoji1] a lot of parents don't put kids emotional and social needs in to the equation before deciding on how to school them. For me it was that I wasn't doing well being taught by family, and I needed peers that weren't related to me to focus on the topics. My sister was the opposite and would rather have the security of our parents teaching her.

If you plan on homeschooling your kids, keep the options open to them to go to a public or private(options are good). I was home schooled until my sophomore year of highschool, I wish my parents would have let me switch earlier, as homeschooling was not for me, I excelled in public school while my sister did well being home schooled.
[emoji1] a lot of parents don't put kids emotional and social needs in to the equation before deciding on how to school them. For me it was that I wasn't doing well being taught by family, and I needed peers that weren't related to me to focus on the topics. My sister was the opposite and would rather have the security of our parents teaching her.

If we did end up home schooling (which is unlikely at this point) we would do one of those programs where the kids go to a home schooling group 2 times a month or something where they get to meet all the other kids and socialize.

I really don't think we will go that route though as I know first hand the value of developing social skills.

To get back on topic, not that the other is uninteresting... Well, here we go again...this time around it looks like it might be serious though. Lots o' water falling from the sky and the usual suspects are flooding and sliding away. Tillamook, Vernonia, Camas / Washougal. The rivers are coming up fast and running with enough debris that the Coast Guard has shut down river traffic and closed the Bars on the Oregon and Washington coasts. That hasn't happened en mass to my knowledge in a very long time.

To get back on topic, not that the other is uninteresting... Well, here we go again...this time around it looks like it might be serious though. Lots o' water falling from the sky and the usual suspects are flooding and sliding away. Tillamook, Vernonia, Camas / Washougal. The rivers are coming up fast and running with enough debris that the Coast Guard has shut down river traffic and closed the Bars on the Oregon and Washington coasts. That hasn't happened en mass to my knowledge in a very long time.

Yep, my aunt is out in Vernonia (luckily she's up in the hills) and she's told us all about it.

The rain doesn't look like it's going to let up anytime soon. I've looked at the forecast and it's just rain, rain, rain for the next 10 days at least.