Drag link ends - what's the difference?

SvtLdr

Search Engine Certified Mechanic
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Can anyone explain why the drag link is designed with only one end that is replaceable? The tie rod end (TRE) that's connected to the pitman arm can be purchased separately but the TRE at the passenger side knuckle is one solid piece. When that side wears out, it's time for a new drag link. Why not design the drag link with two separate TRE's, like the tie rod is?
20201218_164200.jpg20201218_164316.jpg

I realize there's a signification bend on this end required to clear the axle when steering. It seems though that there still could be room to incorporate another threaded portion and clamp sleeve. Perhaps not?

Does it have to do with manufacturing reasons? If so, is it process related or just cost driven? I realize that adding another separate TRE would add cost to the design. Maybe the added cost outweighs the convenience gain for the end user?

Does it have to do with steering geometry? I recognize that adding a straight threaded portion to the drag link would slightly change the connection angle at the knuckle. Does that tip the balance toward poor street manners?

I've given this some thought and some heavy debate with a close friend. I'm expecting the answer to be rather simple. Hopefully you all (@mrblaine) can enlighten me. Thanks much.

Can anyone explain why the drag link is designed with only one end that is replaceable? The tie rod end (TRE) that's connected to the pitman arm can be purchased separately but the TRE at the passenger side knuckle is one solid piece. When that side wears out, it's time for a new drag link. Why not design the drag link with two separate TRE's, like the tie rod is?
View attachment 211705View attachment 211706

I realize there's a signification bend on this end required to clear the axle when steering. It seems though that there still could be room to incorporate another threaded portion and clamp sleeve. Perhaps not?

Does it have to do with manufacturing reasons? If so, is it process related or just cost driven? I realize that adding another separate TRE would add cost to the design. Maybe the added cost outweighs the convenience gain for the end user?

Does it have to do with steering geometry? I recognize that adding a straight threaded portion to the drag link would slightly change the connection angle at the knuckle. Does that tip the balance toward poor street manners?

I've given this some thought and some heavy debate with a close friend. I'm expecting the answer to be rather simple. Hopefully you all (@mrblaine) can enlighten me. Thanks much.
In stock form the additional cost to make the right side TRE (which is what it is, a long TRE that we call the draglink) is not much more than making a short one. Plus that lets you combine several features into one piece like the tie rod end attachment and the stabilizer attachment points.

It is difficult to start over with a new design and solve those issues cost effectively. Synergy has done it but the first versions lacked the slot in the body of the TRE at the right side which introduced a lot of slop when you turned.

The logic is no different than that which was used to make the stock adjuster sleeve that we call the tie rod. It is a smallish tubular sleeve that bends easily but works perfectly until then. Everything you need and nothing you don't. Perfect design actually.

So essentially it comes down to cost? I suppose I should've seen that coming.

I assume the original Synergy design is no longer available due to the reason you mentioned?

So essentially it comes down to cost? I suppose I should've seen that coming.

I assume the original Synergy design is no longer available due to the reason you mentioned?
I think they finally fixed it with the same slot Currie and OEM have.