DrDmoney’s 2000 Jeep Wrangler Sport

Nice... you should have some fun this weekend. Don't forget to lather them up in anti seize.

Yes, anti-seize is your friend. I made the mistake of not putting any on mine and now my front uppers are seized. Now I have someone else to make fun of for running those silly MC joints, lol! The JJ fan boys are going to flame you brah!

Yes, anti-seize is your friend. I made the mistake of not putting any on mine and now my front uppers are seized. Now I have someone else to make fun of for running those silly MC joints, lol! The JJ fan boys are going to flame you brah!
Must be something in the water here in Northern California I suppose.

Let them, I’ll use my HiLift when I change them and try to work my winch thimble eye into the photo too.

antiseize.jpg

With the room remodel I’m doing I have only had enough time to change the rear uppers and I can’t believe how much better the ride is. It is so noticeable my wife could tell. I had a little issue with the upper axle mount, it had broken the spot welds that retain the offset washer that positions the axle. They had splayed open and were allowing the axle to move enough that it beat the bolt up. Pounded them back and welded them.
85EC2674-D422-4FE5-986D-5E5BB7BDA56C.jpeg
57FF9253-6276-41F6-AE38-C5DC417E210E.jpeg
612FDC48-285B-4797-8411-804666E73A7A.jpeg
5C7AC4D2-7DC2-45DE-96CB-F04AF2F66ECD.jpeg

Had a little bit of time while I was Traeger-ing, straightened my rear lower mounts and installed rear LCA’sView attachment 103174

Out of curiosity, did you do a weight comparison between your old RE parts and the new aluminum control arms? I noticed you have a massive aluminum fetish (lol, you admitted it already) but I’m still nervous about using aluminum on my Jeep, especially skid plates that I end up dragging on rocks. I also ask because sometimes weight differences seem to get blown out of proportion; for example, I always heard beadlocks are so much heavier but when I weighed my old steel wheels with 35” tires they were 92lbs each, and the beadlocks were 101 lbs each, only 9 lbs more with tires that weighed exactly the same (64 lbs).

Reactions: DrDmoney
Out of curiosity, did you do a weight comparison between your old RE parts and the new aluminum control arms? I noticed you have a massive aluminum fetish (lol, you admitted it already) but I’m still nervous about using aluminum on my Jeep, especially skid plates that I end up dragging on rocks. I also ask because sometimes weight differences seem to get blown out of proportion; for example, I always heard beadlocks are so much heavier but when I weighed my old steel wheels with 35” tires they were 92lbs each, and the beadlocks were 101 lbs each, only 9 lbs more with tires that weighed exactly the same (64 lbs).
my old RE arms are about the same weight, maybe lighter even. the problem is my 4.5" Re's aren't as strong and more susceptible to bending. one has been hammered a number of times (passenger side) plus the new arms are double adjustable which allows you to make adjustments in place (pinion angle, four wheel alignment, and such) as for skid plates my skid plate is 3/8" thick and lighter than the factory one it replaced. steel bends easier than aluminum for the same weight. I had my RE 4.5" lift since February of 2000 and it was beat up, I've rebuilt the flex joints 5 or 6 times and replaced the clevite bushings twice. the ends on these are where the weight is, just like the Johnny Joints. If you dont already have the "RE clunk" you will eventually.

Reactions: afmoto and Alex01
Thanks for the reply. I will have to come up and drool all over your Jeep one day, I have the same lift but not nearly as many trick parts. I still consider myself a novice in the sport and have only done the Rubicon once, so definitely learning as much as I can. Going back to do that trail again at the end of August, unfortunately can't join the forum trip in September.

Thanks for the reply. I will have to come up and drool all over your Jeep one day, I have the same lift but not nearly as many trick parts. I still consider myself a novice in the sport and have only done the Rubicon once, so definitely learning as much as I can. Going back to do that trail again at the end of August, unfortunately can't join the forum trip in September.
thats too bad, how did your jeep do on the Con? your build is similar to my original less the 4:1 lowrange

thats too bad, how did your jeep do on the Con? your build is similar to my original less the 4:1 lowrange

It was fine; I drove it there from the southbay, did the trail, then drove it back home with no body damage or anything broken. We finished up the Jeep only weeks before that trip and I only had a chance to do a shakedown run at Hollister for a few hours about two weeks before that trip (was on 32's and a 2" OME lift before that). So yeah, kind of just went for it and jumped in at the deep end... lol 4.56 gears, lunchbox locker in the front, TrueTrac in the rear, bone stock axles and 35" BFG All Terrains on steelies, but got it done.

The Con was intimidating of course because I had never been on anything even remotely that tough, but I went with a good group and had great spotters. 35's don't look so big out there, especially when you see some of the really big rigs on 42's and 44's. On the other hand, as I was starting to feel a little sorry for myself and my 'little Jeep', I came around a corner and saw this Uncle Jesse-looking dude (Duke's of Hazzard doppelganger) and he's driving a stock looking Willy's, probably on 29's... so that's when I realized it's time to sack up and just 'git-r-done'! lol