Drilled a hole through air filter tube by mistake

Ghulam Rahmatullah

Was putting on a Poison Spyder hood louver without taking the hood off on my 2001 Jeep TJ and by mistake drilled a hole through the air filter hose. See pictures attached.
Do I need to replace the entire hose attachment? Can I drive the car with the hole? Anything to plug it with? Any advice is appreciated - as I am feeling pretty stupid. Thanks,

51669D9E-45D7-4F11-8E1E-50C9D0C6E4F8.jpeg

94C49E24-DDF6-4D96-9419-33F549023865.jpeg

You should be okay to drive with it for a bit. Put a piece a duct tape over as a temporary repair. I would seal it up with silicone or caulking for more long term repair.

The pressure inside the tube is the same as atmosphere or less, so anything solid should plug it up just fine.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Degrease the hose, rough up the surface a little bit, and goober some RTV on it and let it dry for a day before you drive it. Leaving it open would just let a bit of unfiltered air into the intake.

Honestly I was expecting something worse like "I drilled into my gas tank".

Is it acid bases or caustic? I used some of that purple power once, it corroded every thing that I didnt get thoroughly rinsed and dried.

Is it acid bases or caustic? I used some of that purple power once, it corroded every thing that I didnt get thoroughly rinsed and dried.
Not that you care about your paint but others may want to know that PP will knock the shine right off of good paint.

I'd pull it off and get any bits that got removed before they get sucked down into the engine. Doubt any real harm from the plastic shavings, just more like penance for doing it in the first place.

Reactions: TJTJ04
Not that you care about your paint but others may want to know that PP will knock the shine right off of good paint.
I have only 3 vehicle that I care about the paint and my jeep is not one of them...but that is good to know. I try to stick with a hot pressure washer and not much for soap. The hot water works real good in the engine bay.

I refuse to squirt water underneath a perfectly good hood designed to keep such elements out of there !!!!!!!
Never seen no good come from it.
Have you ever looked under the hood after driving in the rain? Most engines in a jeep are covered in mud under the hood, comes up from underneath! Just keep the high pressure off of the PCM...

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo is ph balanced, a pretty good grease remover too. And cheap as well.
I use it when I get really thick grime and grease from old equipment coating my arms. Works really well. Add a bit of sand for scouring powder and it exfoliates too. Never thought of it as an engine bay cleaner before, but I think I'll give it a try come spring cleanup time!