Drive Shaft Angle & Lift

TJProjectRon

Supporting Member
Working on 97 TJ just acquired. Drive shaft angle is approximately 20 degrees. From articles I have seen posted here, 15 degrees is the very max with less than that desirable. The Jeep has been lifted and distance from bottom of rocker to ground is 26". Would lowering the Jeep help reduce the drive shaft angle? Or..what would be the best most cost effective way to reduce the angle?

Reactions: Chris
The exact pinion or driveshaft angle number is inconsequential, the correct angle varies. Are you running the factory OE driveshaft or is it an aftermarket CV driveshaft?

It is not a CV driveshaft and I don't know all the history. It is slip yoke out of the trans. The rear axle was changed to an 8.8

A MML (motor mount lift) if you don't already have one would help to reduce the angle from the transfer case output shaft.

How much are you lifted? Pictures of the driveshaft and angle would help too!

Not real sure how to tell how much lift. It is 26 inches from the bottom of the rocker panel to the ground. Looks like it may have a small body lift in addition to frame lift. Driveshaft angle is 18 to 20 degrees parked. Will post pics tomorrow. Thank you

Like Jerry said however, the driveshaft angle number is inconsequential, the correct angle will varry. What will matter is what type of driveshaft you're running and the pinion angles in relation to the driveshaft. The rear pinion angle should be roughly 1-2 degrees lower than the rear driveshaft, assuming of course you're running a CV driveshaft (which you absolutely should be if you've got a lift).

DSCN1972.JPG
Here are pics for you to check out
DSCN1971.JPG

The below is how your pinion and transfer case output shafts should look, they're supposed to be parallel to each other with the factory driveshaft as you have. It's hard to tell from the angle of the photo but it looks like your pinion angle may be too high. Did someone adjust the rear axle's pinion angle upward?

2joint_angle.gif

I really don't know for sure. Just bought it couple months ago and started working on it about 2 weeks ago. Don't have any history on it. It does look like pinion and drive shaft are almost in alignment with each other. The Dana 35 was replaced with 8.8 at some point. Could have happened then. Can that be changed with adjustable control arms?

Yes it can be with adjustable arms. Any shocks numbers you can look up. Maybe this would give you a better idea of the lift height.

There's no doubt in my mind that thing NEEDS a CV driveshaft and some adjustable control arms, bad... Talk to @AOR, he will hook you up.

It's very obvious now why it's vibrating.

Reactions: Stinger
Measure coils and then subtract 12". That should identify total susoension lift. Look at transmission skid plate and look for drop down brakets.

Looks like mine before I added my sye/cv driveshaft. Do you have a lot of vibration issues? I didn't think I had any until i did the sye and driveshaft replacement. I measure 26" to bottom of rocker panel with 33's and a 4" lift. SYE/CV driveshaft is long term solution if your gonna keep it lifted
sye installed.jpg

I trailered it home and put it in my garage. It was not in any shape to be driven. Engine noise etc. Definitely a project lol, I estimate it has a 5 in frame lift and a 1 in body lift. Would like to lower it some to like a 3 in lift and take body lift out (i'm pretty short lol). I will definitely get with you AOR when I get to that point. I have had 5 jeeps but this is the first project with modifications and I am learning a lot and enjoying this forum. Thank you guys, you all great guys.