Driveline issues after 1” motor mount lift

JimmyZ

2005 TJ LJ with 2 1/2" OME spring lift running 33"s. Decided to install a 1" daystar mount body replacement lift. Was told it would be a good idea to add a 1" MORE motor mount lift while I was at it. So I did. Now I have driveline issues! Hard to describe buy it making a weird noise? Like a creaking sound? Also have some vibration in the steerng wheel while idling?

Does the tranmission need to rise 1" also?

Anyone else have these problems?

Are these mounts metal or poly ? I suspect they are poly....
Did you tighten the mounting bolts properly ? Did the instructions advise you how much to tighten the bolts?
The creaking sound is probably the body moving slightly on the Daystar mounts.

Yes they are poly. Torqued them all down. I guess I could hit them all with an inpact?
No. Max torque should be 55 for large mounts and 35 for smaller ones. The poly pucks are likely compressing and not allowing proper torque values to be achieved. You risk damaging the threads and creating a whole other problem using an impact and stripping out or snapping a bolt in the threads.

The transmission does not need its own 1" taller mount to match the 1" MML.

The 1" tall motor mounts would have added excessive drivetrain angle correction if you had installed anything else earlier to get rid of vibrations. Like a tcase drop. Such corrections are additive.

IIRC, I have the 1" Daystar BL. It's been 8 years, no issues.
Wasn't needed, but I just recently added the MML.
Before the MML, my radiator was lowered to compensate.

The transmission does not need its own 1" taller mount to match the 1" MML (Motor Mount Lift).

The 1" tall motor mounts would have added excessive drivetrain angle correction if you had installed anything else earlier to get rid of vibrations. Like a tcase drop. Such corrections are additive.
No I didn't have a tcase drop in my Jeep

IIRC, I have the 1" Daystar BL. It's been 8 years, no issues.
Wasn't needed, but I just recently added the MML (Motor Mount Lift).
Before the MML (Motor Mount Lift), my radiator was lowered to compensate.

With only a 2 1/2" rear spring lift in my Jeep, I'm wondering if rising the motor an 1" caused me to not have enough driveline angle now? Somethings not right.

Probably not needed with an LJ. Just move the fan shroud.
I was at 3.5" with no MML, but I've got the Rubicon setup.
I added it for a future TT.

Did you make sure that the trans mount was loose when you put the MML in? If not the trans mount will be in a bind and that causes issues as well.

Will I guess I could either add a belly up skid plate to rise the trany, or I could remove the 1" motor mount lift.
Those two solutions are like $$$$$ vs free. Depends on what you want to accomplish. YOu could always do free now and $$$$$ later

Those two solutions are like $$$$$ vs free. Depends on what you want to accomplish. YOu could always do free now and $$$$$ later
I threw the old mounts out before I even drove it with 1" lift mount. My bad I guess. Might just buy some new regural mounts and see if that helps

The transmission does not need its own 1" taller mount to match the 1" MML (Motor Mount Lift).

Jerry, to piggyback on this; I have a 2in lift with stock arms and an SYE/DC rear drive shaft. I plan on adding a 1” body lift here shortly. Would a 1” MML lift be recommended as well? I have one on order from Brown dog but they seem to have a large backlog to work through.

I threw the old mounts out before I even drove it with 1" lift mount. My bad I guess. Might just buy some new regural mounts and see if that helps
What do you mean you threw the old mounts out? I guess the Daystar poly’s instruct you not to reuse the stock rubber. With the aluminum Savvy’s, you re-use the stock rubber.

Reactions: BlueChip
Jerry, to piggyback on this; I have a 2in lift with stock arms and an SYE/DC rear drive shaft. I plan on adding a 1” body lift here shortly. Would a 1” MML (Motor Mount Lift) lift be recommended as well? I have one on order from Brown dog but they seem to have a large backlog to work through.
Your SYE/DC driveshaft eliminates the need for a MML so far as helping to eliminate drivetrain vibrations go.

What do you mean you threw the old mounts out? I guess the Daystar poly’s instruct you not to reuse the stock rubber. With the aluminum Savvy’s, you re-use the stock rubber.
I was referring to the old motor mounts. With the Daystar ploy body mount lift you don’t reuse anything, comes with all new hardware for the body lift including bolts