Question about rear driveshaft angle

Trunick

Supporting Member
Last year I purchased a 97 Jeep Sahara from my father in law. He purchased this vehicle in 2009 with the intent of modifying it for more than average off road use but never got around to it. I told him that I would make it a project and he sold it to me for $100. It has 148,000 miles and runs (ran) great. Until I recently added a 2.5 inch lift. The lift was installed by a professional using 2.5 inch Quadratec maximum duty springs and Fox Performance 2.0 shocks. I now have driveline vibrations since getting it back and I am sure from what I have read that its a problem with the drive shaft(s). They are pretty rough, so I am upgrading the front and adding a sye to the rear with a cv shaft. I was wondering if someone could tell me about the angle of my rear drive shaft and anything else I may need to reduce or eliminate the vibration I am experiencing.

IMG_20200126_154304890.jpg

IMG_20200126_155243195.jpg

For your existing driveshaft, you want the pinion angle to be parallel with the transfer case output angle:
2joint_angle (1).gif

Your pinion angle looks a bit low even for this kind of shaft. Rather difficult to tell from a photo.

Once you get your CV driveshaft, you'll want the pinion angle to almost match the driveshaft angle (ideally about 1 degree below):
cv_angle (1).gif

Go to your local farm supply or hardware store and pick up a digital angle finder. Makes tuning this stuff a breeze

Reactions: Sun Dog
i have adj control arms and am learning that its not just one adj. and done. I`ve made several small adj. and now dont vibration until 55-60 and its very minor

At 100 bucks in , you are $15-20,000 dollars ahead of most of us day one ...stay motivated and it will work out.

Use the search engine , lots of info on this from hands on guys.

Reactions: Chris
At 100 bucks in , you are $15-20,000 dollars ahead of most of us day one ...stay motivated and it will work out.

Use the search engine , lots of info on this from hands on guys.
In our world , that means we would spend 15-20,000 more with a good headstart like that.

You obviously married very well.

So I purchased an Advanced Adapters sye and front/rear Adams drive shafts. It took some time to install and I had a few problems but eventually figured it out. It was difficult to get the right torque on the bolts between the yoke and the drive shaft at the transfer case. Adams calls for 18 ft pounds but I couldn't get the torque wrench in there so I guessed. There is a slight hum while in 4w hi, not sure if I should worry. Vibrations are gone in 2wd.

DSCF1236.JPG

DSCF1237.JPG

DSCF1242.JPG

Reactions: ToddK
In our world , that means we would spend 15-20,000 more with a good headstart like that.

You obviously married very well.

I am quickly learning that I could really get in over my head with spending on this project. I am going to take a break from spending, and drive her for a while. I think that my next upgrade will be steering and a new skid plate. The stock one is pretty rough.

Reactions: Blondie70 and AndyG