Great deals on TJ parts on Amazon!

Looking for parts for your Jeep Wrangler TJ? Checkout the selection of TJ parts Amazon has to offer, many with 2-day Prime shipping!

Click the image below to browse TJ parts on Amazon.

Jeep Wrangler TJ Parts on Amazon

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

Driveline vibration after skid plate?

MeanGreen86

Buy once, cry once
Supporting Member
Now that I have your attention I need ideas. I read alot of the driveline threads on here and they are usually a result of altering the suspension or buying a new vehicle. I've had my 04 LJ for over 6 months now and the only addition to my vehicles suspension has been adding the Racho 5000x shocks which ride great. Last friday i mounted my savvy engine skid and drove to get a haircut and I noticed a vibration around 60-65mph. I'm stumped, can a wearing u-joint cause this? I have had zero issues since I bought it.

Goatman

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
Check all 3 mounts. And verify the new skid is clearing the front driveshaft. They have been known to sometimes be a bit too close to the shaft and need a bit of clearance added in.

Reactions: MeanGreen86
OP
MeanGreen86

MeanGreen86

Buy once, cry once
Supporting Member
My guess is you threw a wheel weight.
I never considered that.... the joints on the driveline all look good too. no noticeable slop. Thanks @Alex01. The jeep is going in for the trans leaks, i'll have them check the wheel balance. If its that I owe you a beer when the jeep makes it out west.

Reactions: Alex01

DylanM345

Flipped Tie Rod
Supporting Member
If it is just the engine skid then it cant be related to driveshaft/trasfer case unless you somehow changed the angle of your output shafts

OP
MeanGreen86

MeanGreen86

Buy once, cry once
Supporting Member
If it is just the engine skid then it cant be related to driveshaft/trasfer case unless you somehow changed the angle of your output shafts
I know they can't be related the title was me making light of my situation. It was just such a weird coincidence that the next drive after the skid plate went on the vibrations started. I think Alex may be right about the wheel weight. My daily drive to work I never see above 50mph but the route to the barber shop i take the highway so i drive 65+ mph

Reactions: DylanM345

DylanM345

Flipped Tie Rod
Supporting Member
I know they can't be related the title was me making light of my situation. It was just such a weird coincidence that the next drive after the skid plate went on the vibrations started. I think Alex may be right about the wheel weight. My daily drive to work I never see above 50mph but the route to the barber shop i take the highway so i drive 65+ mph
Ah okay, I was just trying to help clarify if there was any confusion (y)

OP
MeanGreen86

MeanGreen86

Buy once, cry once
Supporting Member
figured I'd close this one. Turns out I had bad u-joints in my front axle and the front driveshaft. My normal drive to work didn't see above 50. It revealed itself at 65.