Driveline vibration after skid plate?

MeanGreen86

Buy once, cry once
Supporting Member
Now that I have your attention I need ideas. I read alot of the driveline threads on here and they are usually a result of altering the suspension or buying a new vehicle. I've had my 04 LJ for over 6 months now and the only addition to my vehicles suspension has been adding the Racho 5000x shocks which ride great. Last friday i mounted my savvy engine skid and drove to get a haircut and I noticed a vibration around 60-65mph. I'm stumped, can a wearing u-joint cause this? I have had zero issues since I bought it.

My guess is you threw a wheel weight.

Check all 3 mounts. And verify the new skid is clearing the front driveshaft. They have been known to sometimes be a bit too close to the shaft and need a bit of clearance added in.

Reactions: MeanGreen86
My guess is you threw a wheel weight.
I never considered that.... the joints on the driveline all look good too. no noticeable slop. Thanks @Alex01. The jeep is going in for the trans leaks, i'll have them check the wheel balance. If its that I owe you a beer when the jeep makes it out west.

Reactions: Alex01
If it is just the engine skid then it cant be related to driveshaft/trasfer case unless you somehow changed the angle of your output shafts

If it is just the engine skid then it cant be related to driveshaft/trasfer case unless you somehow changed the angle of your output shafts
I know they can't be related the title was me making light of my situation. It was just such a weird coincidence that the next drive after the skid plate went on the vibrations started. I think Alex may be right about the wheel weight. My daily drive to work I never see above 50mph but the route to the barber shop i take the highway so i drive 65+ mph

Reactions: D M
I know they can't be related the title was me making light of my situation. It was just such a weird coincidence that the next drive after the skid plate went on the vibrations started. I think Alex may be right about the wheel weight. My daily drive to work I never see above 50mph but the route to the barber shop i take the highway so i drive 65+ mph
Ah okay, I was just trying to help clarify if there was any confusion (y)

figured I'd close this one. Turns out I had bad u-joints in my front axle and the front driveshaft. My normal drive to work didn't see above 50. It revealed itself at 65.