Driver side full door leaves gap at top of door

SOMD-JeepFan

I replaced my half doors with a set of full doors, but the driver side full door does not seal along the top. The door sticks out far enough that I get water inside the Jeep when it rains. Are there any adjustments that I can make that would allow the top of the door to be pulled in? While reading different threads and forums, people mention to adjust the hinges on the door side, but it sounds like this is to fix striker alignment. It seems that the door lines up as I am able to close and secure the door. Basically, I would need to kick the bottom out in order to bring the top in.

Not unusual for the window frame to be bent out, especially if they were stored improperly. The frame can be gently bent back into position.

Reactions: -T.
I'll give that a shot.
Do that with the window down!! :)
My first 'real' job was detailing cars for a Chrysler dealer, and this was an 'adjustment' that was sometimes needed on brand new cars... Ah, the 80's...
Roll the window down, plant your knee on the inside of the door and pull the window frame inward. Be careful, and don't overbend, or the window may not want to roll up properly. But a little bit of adjustment should be no problem at all.

Reactions: SOMD-JeepFan
Do that with the window down!! :)
My first 'real' job was detailing cars for a Chrysler dealer, and this was an 'adjustment' that was sometimes needed on brand new cars... Ah, the 80's...
Roll the window down, plant your knee on the inside of the door and pull the window frame inward. Be careful, and don't overbend, or the window may not want to roll up properly. But a little bit of adjustment should be no problem at all.

EXACTLY THIS! Do it all the time, we usually pull the car around back so the customers don’t see us do it. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: -T.
I had this same problem with my passenger door, but I was afraid of breaking something so I moved the striker in just a tad.

It seals now but it still sticks out slightly. I might try this since apparently this is a common method.

Not unusual for the window frame to be bent out, especially if they were stored improperly. The frame can be gently bent back into position.

As an aside, I briefly hung my full doors from storage hooks. Someone pointed out that the weight would cause the window frame to deform over time.

I made another trip to Home Depot for a second set of hooks. Now the hooks at the window are there just to keep the door in place, not to bear weight.
😏

Reactions: TJ Starting
As an aside, I briefly hung my full doors from storage hooks. Someone pointed out that the weight would cause the window frame to deform over time.

I made another trip to Home Depot for a second set of hooks. Now the hooks at the window are there just to keep the door in place, not to bear weight.
😏

Do you have a picture of your storage solution? I am rethinking mine after reading this thread :D

Do you have a picture of your storage solution? I am rethinking mine after reading this thread :D

I'm not at the house right now, but here's the C64 text adventure version (dating myself):

I bought four of these guys and installed them so that the bottom of the door sits on one unit close to the ground.

With the door resting on the bottom hook, I moved the window hook through the open window. I pulled up on the hook just enough that the window frame was making contact with the pads on the hooks. Once mounted, the window hook didn't bear the weight of the door, but the window frame's contact with the hook pads made sure it wasn't going to go anywhere.

Reactions: rasband
Thanks this worked great for mine! Shined a light through the edge to check my work and after about 4 tries I got it no more light coming past the seal. Also didn’t even realize my passenger side was off as well until I checked it with the light. I just bought a new best top and heard so much noise now no more noise! Thanks