Driver side rear roll bar speaker. I dunno.

lovemachine

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
So a couple weeks ago, I replaced the roll bar speakers in my 2005 with Polk Audio DB522's. The reason was the driver side factory speaker was starting to make a "fuzzy staticky" sound. And it became way too annoying.

Well, the noise is back. I had contacted Crutchfield, thinking it was the new Polk Audio speakers. They sent me out another set, but I have to send the bad one back to them. Awesome.

I put the new speaker in last night, and this morning the sound is still there. So it wasn't the speaker making the noise.

I have no idea what it could be. They DID send me a speaker wiring harness, and when I installed it, I made sure the ends were tight on the speaker. I wonder if the connection isn't tight ENOUGH. But I have no idea.

Anyone more knowledgable than me have any ideas? I'm new to this whole audio thing!

I had a problem with to the dome light cover on the driver side vibrating, which sounded like a blown speaker. Look around there something else might be rattling. Or play around with wire connections, adjust fader/balance.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

You could disconnect the harness from the head unit, connect an ohm meter to those speaker wires and start tugging/moving the wire harness from there to the speaker. You may be able to find a damaged spot. If you see any changes from 8 or 4 ohms while jiggling, you've got a winner.

I had a problem with to the dome light cover on the driver side vibrating, which sounded like a blown speaker. Look around there something else might be rattling. Or play around with wire connections, adjust fader/balance.

Same here. I used some foam sealing tape to secure the light cover.

too increase the sound quality from the sound bar, remove the light cover YES IT rattles, second pull speakers and stuff some poly fill in the sound bar. I did both and its night and day for me.

I know it's not the light cover. I went ahead and ordered a new wiring harness. I guess it COULD be that.

I've been messing with sound systems since the 80's. I doubt seriously it is the new speaker or the harness. If it is, the harness will solve it. Crutchfield has excellent customer service. I would contact them first. They have a lot of experience with sound systems and issues in various vehicles. I'm sure they have someone who knows our soundbar. In the meantime, I would be willing to bet that something in the structure of the soundbar on that side is loose or broken. The suggestion to poly fill in the speaker compartment by Jeep 9748 is also solid.

The cheapest solution would be to start with my suggestions, doing another thorough look-over the soundbar and something inside that may be broken or rattling.

After that, consider replacing the head unit. If you have a stock head unit I would consider replacing it anyway. You will get much better sound out of your Polk's. I highly recommend this unit which is about $85.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KD...b=review&omnews=14027597#customer-reviews-tab

This is my review of the unit:

This receiver is great for convertibles. I drive a Jeep and with the top off you can still read the display. The functionality with my bluetooth for Pandora is great. I can drive with my phone in my pocket and control everything from the receiver, as well as answer phone calls. Don't forget to plug in the mic on the back when you install! The install was super easy. I called Crutchfield for one question and they gave me immediate answers as well as a few more tips on the wiring which would have stumped me. The only downside is figuring out all the functionality. However, the manual is clear and it just takes time to sort through it and figure it out. I appreciate the ability to customize what sources you want to access so you can eliminate others from the display options. The internal amplifier at 22RMS greatly helped my tweeters and mids sound crisp and clear through my Polk speakers. The sub pre-out is nice for sending a signal via RCA's to an amplifier if you desire to add some bass to your system. The removable face plate will be nice in the summer when I have the top off. All in all a great purchase and especially good for those with convertibles or open air vehicles, including marine applications since the circuit board is water resistant.

Pros: Illumination Water Resistant Bluetooth Compatibility Microphone

Cons: Functionality sometimes difficult to figure out

What type of current flows thru the speaker wires? Could he put a multi meter probe on the + or - terminals to check if they are producing current/voltage/whatever?

I got the wiring harness today. I'll put that in this weekend, but is there anything I need to look at while I have the pod opened up?
I only saw the one connector in there...

If the new harness doesn't solve the problem, I assume the next step is to just replace the factory radio then?