Driveshaft protection for crossing big logs?

srimes

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I was thinking it'd be cool to try driving over big logs in the road vs. having to clear them, I have a winch to dry myself across if necessary. But the front driveshaft hangs down. This may be one situation where long arms provide benefit. Is there a simple answer here?

Like this YJ here (try to ignore the rear stretch!)

• Wow
Reactions: lBasket
I was thinking it'd be cool to try driving over big logs in the road vs. having to clear them, I have a winch to dry myself across if necessary. But the front driveshaft hangs down. This may be one situation where long arms provide benefit. Is there a simple answer here?

Like this YJ here (try to ignore the rear stretch!)

I have never seen a tree that big in person in my entire life wow

• Wow
Reactions: Wildman and RINC
I have never seen a tree that big in person in my entire life wow

Came across this last weekend. Top of the log is waist high.

0zd34eijk9gpxuqyphyzl5w-w1239-h929-s-no-authuser-0-jpg.420952

• Wow
Reactions: RINC and lBasket
I was thinking it'd be cool to try driving over big logs in the road vs. having to clear them...
I hope that you noticed that the log rolled at one point. The odds of winding up looking like a crunched up ball of tinfoil 500' down some canyon with a tree on top of you would be pretty high over here on the wet side. Maybe build it like a Willamina mud bogger and put pipe guards like a log pond boat.

Might be fun out in the back forty on a summer weekend...

The best answer is a saw and a winch. I have crossed logs up to about 14" by attacking them at an angle but that goes poorly fast if you have smaller tires and no way to set up a proper approach.

Reactions: Wildman
Chainsaw. I carry a Husky 562 with a 28" bar.

I break stuff Jeeping. Usually winches...at least that's been my luck as of late.

I don't run over trees. Staubs puncture tires. You don't know what you might loosen up in a jackstraw.

Here in the PNW come spring I usually do a lot of slogging...first snow free run down a logging road covered in downed trees.

-Mac

P.S. You haven't said where and when yet on that Mt. Ashland log. Ironically busy the next couple of weekends doing recert training with the Forest Service to keep my chainsaw and crosscut certifications so I can keep volunteering to cut out trails.

I break stuff Jeeping. Usually winches...at least that's been my luck as of late.

I don't run over trees. Staubs puncture tires. You don't know what you might loosen up in a jackstraw.

Here in the PNW come spring I usually do a lot of slogging...first snow free run down a logging road covered in downed trees.

-Mac

P.S. You haven't said where and when yet on that Mt. Ashland log. Ironically busy the next couple of weekends doing recert training with the Forest Service to keep my chainsaw and crosscut certifications so I can keep volunteering to cut out trails.

How do you get involved with trail maintenance for the FS? Looks fun, but haven't been able to find how to do it.

How do you get involved with trail maintenance for the FS? Looks fun, but haven't been able to find how to do it.

CascadeVols.org and Trail keepers of Oregon...sure you could contact either and they'll find you a local group. You can also contact your local FS office and ask for the volunteer coordinator. And well, sometimes you just have to roll your own group...I helped start Friends of Fall Creek Watershed and help organize and run trash pickups in coordination with the FS, BLM and other organizations.

I also volunteer with the PCTA...Pacific Crest Trail Association...they'd love to have some help!

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmMhCN0xgqfgMSkFQb0LI4-xQD_3fQnBE
-Mac

Reactions: Bobohunter1776
CascadeVols.org and Trail keepers of Oregon...sure you could contact either and they'll find you a local group. You can also contact your local FS office and ask for the volunteer coordinator. And well, sometimes you just have to roll your own group...I helped start Friends of Fall Creek Watershed and help organize and run trash pickups in coordination with the FS, BLM and other organizations.

I also volunteer with the PCTA...Pacific Crest Trail Association...they'd love to have some help!

[URL]https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmMhCN0xgqfgMSkFQb0LI4-xQD_3fQnBE[/URL]

-Mac

I'll email some of the Colorado 4x4 groups and see if they have any contacts. I've got some experience with MTB trail building but not sure how much that translates over to FS roads.

Around here the best way to volunteer to take downed trees out of trails is to just grab a buddy and go do it. If its an official USFS volunteer work party they want you to have a USFS chainsaw certification which means taking their class which, of course, is only held during normal USFS working hours. And with that cert on an official volunteer day don't dare to use the saw with anything less than all the protective gear they prescribe.

-Mac

100%! I've had more trouble from wood than rocks. From sticks poking between the tire bead and rim to a sapling poking a hole in the gas tank. Wood worries me. I would trim any branch stubs that could be an issue before trying to cross.

Of course chainsaw is the "right" answer. But wouldn't it be cool to be able to crawl across? The exposed front driveshaft is the main concern keeping me from trying.

I thought I posted the location in the other thread. Here it is in google maps: https://www.google.com/maps?q=loc:42.1185526,-122.6680157

I'm off weekends. The spot is 10 miles from my house.

Went to clear the road today, but before breaking out the saw I decided to check clearance. When I got this far the front driveshaft touched, so I backed down.

1683509872141.png

Contact. What's the fix here?
1683509934391.png

1683510136590.png

Once cleared we went to the next tree, and this was a bit smaller and I was able to cross it.

In California we have an Adopt a Trail program. Local clubs pick a trail to adopt and maintain, members from our club just went last weekend to inspect the trails to see what is needed after the record snow we had this year. Contact a local club or the forest service.

Crawled an old log pile yesterday. After watching the video closely it definitely looks like the front driveshaft made solid contact.

I haven't noticed any damage, thankfully.