Driving a manual is like fly fishing, a auto is like bait casting

A long while back I was working my way through an obstacle and being instructed to just keep it in gear and idle through (by the same guy who spotted me into a flop later on). All that did was get me into trouble. So I went back to actually operating and controlling the vehicle as well as I can.
Just so everyone is clear, I was NOT the spotter that day!

??? Every manual equipped vehicle I've owned in the last 25+ years has had cruise control...
I own four road-going, four-wheeled vehicles right now. All have cruise control. Only one is an automatic (on its second transmission, by the way).

have owned more manuals than autos but, as i get older i perfer an auto. if i wanna shift me some gears i’ll hop on the harley.

Correct! You are a far better spotter than a driver. 🤣
Never piss off your spotter... Shit can get bad in a hurry...lol
screenshot_20220409-202950-jpg.321823

Should have been RoTM.
If any picture deserves RoTM, it's this one. After all, how many times in your life can you get a shot like this? Beautiful scenery, a Jeep in action, and a total "oops" moment!

• Haha
Reactions: RINC
I personally like my manual coming down steep grades just throwing it into low range 1st gear sometimes that’s too slow so it needs to be in 2nd not sure how auto’s do

Reactions: reddvltj
I personally like my manual coming down steep grades just throwing it into low range 1st gear sometimes that’s too slow so it needs to be in 2nd not sure how auto’s do
Autos do fine on steep downgrades too. I drop my 4:1 tcase into 4Lo and transmission into Low and it goes so slow that vehicles crawling down behind me often stack up and I have to give it a little gas to help them out.

Reactions: 97JadeTJ
Actually, both work best in different conditions. I have put a lot of miles on both and they both work off road.
With a stick you have to be a bit better driver. If you can't handle it, get an automatic.
If that is your position, then you don't understand why autos are better for technical rock crawling than a manual is.

I’ve had 4 auto and one manual TJ and I have one of each now - Enjoy both. Both Rubis.

Off road , the 4:1 Rubi set up makes the manual about as good as it gets with manuals.

The Auto is fantastic, and less work as things get rocky and technical. On the road it has more punch also.

Yes a manual is fun. So is an auto. But what makes them both great is being in a TJR.

Last edited:

Off road , the 4:1 Rubi set up makes the manual about as good as it gets with manuals.

I am at the point where 4:1 isn't low enough for a manual. But I would also like the added precision and control of an automatic, which largely eliminates the problem of 4:1 not being low enough.