driving lights or light bar???

Frank

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I have decided on new headlights and am now asking what you would recommend for either driving lights or a light bar. I am going LEDs but I see spot or flood in driving lights or should I get a 20 combo spot\flood led light bar? I have read the posts about them but I am wanting to know from those who have them and which ones they like I drive home at night in the country and am always dodging Deer. Don't plan to do any night time off roading. Thanks in advance for any ideas and advice.

I can tell you whole heartedly that even if you live out in the middle of nowhere, with no street lights whatsoever, the Truck-Lite 7" LED Headlights are all you need. You honestly do NOT need a light bar with these headlights. They are so high quality and put out so much light it's insane.

We regularly take the TJ to the beach where there are no street lights on the roads or the highway at night. Even with my Truck Lite LED headlights on low beams, they light up the night like nothing you've ever seen. On high beams it's game over!

Reactions: brown_mule
I can tell you whole heartedly that even if you live out in the middle of nowhere, with no street lights whatsoever, the Truck-Lite 7" LED Headlights are all you need. You honestly do NOT need a light bar with these headlights. They are so high quality and put out so much light it's insane.

We regularly take the TJ to the beach where there are no street lights on the roads or the highway at night. Even with my Truck Lite LED headlights on low beams, they light up the night like nothing you've ever seen. On high beams it's game over!

Agree!! You will not use a light bar if you don't plan on any night off-roading.

Reactions: Chris
Generally, light bars have a crappy, or no cut off, so you'll end up blinding any oncoming drivers. Proper driving lights have a good cut off so that doesn't happen.

Reactions: brown_mule
So get the best headlights, got that, as far as driving lights though, I see spot beams and then I see flood beams, I do not want to blind anyone so would the spot beams be best just for the extra light I am looking for of flood beams?

So get the best headlights, got that, as far as driving lights though, I see spot beams and then I see flood beams, I do not want to blind anyone so would the spot beams be best just for the extra light I am looking for of flood beams?

Honestly, you won't need anything more than headlights if you get the good ones.

However, if you insist on driving lights, you really want a spot / flood combo for the best output.

Here is a picture of it.

image.jpeg

Reactions: Frank and Chris
WoW Good headlights are expensive!!!!!!!! Having a hard time spending that much for headlights> Cuts way into my other upgrades! Any good suggestions for headlights that wont break the bank all in one day??? Love the looks of the Truck lite 7 and JW Speakers but Just cannot go that at this time.. help???/

WoW Good headlights are expensive!!!!!!!! Having a hard time spending that much for headlights> Cuts way into my other upgrades! Any good suggestions for headlights that wont break the bank all in one day??? Love the looks of the Truck lite 7 and JW Speakers but Just cannot go that at this time.. help???/

Frank, the next best headlight to the Truck Lites in my opinion are these ones:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B015SL0MSK/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Those are also very reasonable priced as well, and the light output is almost as good as the Truck Lites.

Been looking at those. Like the look and was wondering about light output and cutoff and all. Thanks Chris. Just a lot of money so want to do it right as possible first time. will let ya know when I decide. Thanks.

Been looking at those. Like the look and was wondering about light output and cutoff and all. Thanks Chris. Just a lot of money so want to do it right as possible first time. will let ya know when I decide. Thanks.

Those are about the cheapest 'quality' lights you'll get. Anything cheaper than that and you'll be dealing with some real crap (trust me). Those ones I linked to have excellent light cut off and when I compared them side-by-side with my $330 Truck Lites, well they were almost dead even.

I have HID projector retrofitted headlights which are an amazing amount of light, on and off-road. I have ProComp Explorer S4 cubes up front, additionally, for "pre-lighting" turns and switchbacks on the trail. I just angle them out to the side. It's very nice.

I wanted more lighting, but it's unnecessary at this point. One other thing, flood patterns are not good for on-road because you will outdrive them going 50, 60 and above. Good for slower off-road and slower, bad weather driving on-road.

Reactions: Chris
I ran a 20" Rigid light bar on previous LJ. Turns night into broad daylight. Now keep in mind, these are not for road use and probably illegal to use on highway, but I only used them offroad during hunting season in the woods. First time I used it, I pulled over to see if my headlights were working when I turned it off coming into town because I could not see.