Driving music

There's a lot of good music going on here. Gotta try to find some cds. Maybe they'll work, unlike the fm. Need a new hu, speakers, amps, etc. But as much as i like espn radio, I'm feeling like music. Stock stereo, no bluetooth so i can't even stream.

Please excuse me for talking to myself here. The Jeep comes with too many projects. If it wasn't my dd I'd ignore music. Remember the priorities, dirt first, music 2nd.

• Haha
Reactions: Kiwi TJ
I doubt many people have ever heard of the stuff I listen to in my TJ

Odesza
Velvetine
Bassnectar
Phutureprimitive
Tritonal
Seabound
VNV Nation
The xx
Assemblage 23 (very cool)

Then there’s

80’s
Old country
70’s

But I usually listen to the stuff up ^^^ in the TJ

• Wow
Reactions: Quigley

Odesza
Velvetine
Bassnectar
Phutureprimitive
Tritonal
Seabound
VNV Nation
The xx

Then there’s

80’s
Old country
70’s

I'm familiar with bassnectar from when i built the stereo in my last car. Fun stuff, but my stock stereo ain't gonna make it happen.

Reactions: JMT and Denverdean1

Odesza
Velvetine
Bassnectar
Phutureprimitive
Tritonal
Seabound
VNV Nation
The xx

Then there’s

80’s
Old country
70’s

Ok. I just looked up assemblage 23 and that is crazy. There's a lot of influence from early 80s depeche mode, some inxs, joy division, all that stuff i didn't learn to appreciate until the later 80s because at my high school rock was king, country second. We didn't hate the kids with the funny hair and makeup but i didn't appreciate their music until i went to college.

I get really excited when i can really see all the oldschool influences in newer music. Like the red hot chili peppers and the george clinton/funkadelic influence.

When i was a kid i made a crystal radio from a rado shack kit (dad was a science teacher.) I would listen to the reggae show on the local university radio station. Of course bob marley, but others like black uhuru, gregory Isaacs (night nurse is outstanding), burning spear, steel pulse, really good stuff. Then i learned my dad had roommates in college that were in a steel drum band. When i went to college ub40 became a more modern version of that. One thing i had forgotten until dubstep became a thing was that reggae radio show played some percentage of dub. No computers in the 60s and 70s, just sliders, knobs and reverb, but i feel like that's where dubstep came from.

Sorry for the long story, I just love most kinds of music. Especially when it's done hard like moussorgsky, Wagner, a7x, or it makes me feel the pain of the composer like nirvana, old depeche mode, or the outlaw country guys. I need more music back in my life.

Reactions: 02SteelBlue and JMT
I have a wide range. The Highway Men to Pretty Lights. Pulled into work today listening to Zakk Wylde.

Reactions: 02SteelBlue
Ok. I just looked up assemblage 23 and that is crazy. There's a lot of influence from early 80s depeche mode, some inxs, joy division, all that stuff i didn't learn to appreciate until the later 80s because at my high school rock was king, country second. We didn't hate the kids with the funny hair and makeup but i didn't appreciate their music until i went to college.

I get really excited when i can really see all the oldschool influences in newer music. Like the red hot chili peppers and the george clinton/funkadelic influence.

When i was a kid i made a crystal radio from a rado shack kit (dad was a science teacher.) I would listen to the reggae show on the local university radio station. Of course bob marley, but others like black uhuru, gregory Isaacs (night nurse is outstanding), burning spear, steel pulse, really good stuff. Then i learned my dad had roommates in college that were in a steel drum band. When i went to college ub40 became a more modern version of that. One thing i had forgotten until dubstep became a thing was that reggae radio show played some percentage of dub. No computers in the 60s and 70s, just sliders, knobs and reverb, but i feel like that's where dubstep came from.

Sorry for the long story, I just love most kinds of music. Especially when it's done hard like moussorgsky, Wagner, a7x, or it makes me feel the pain of the composer like nirvana, old depeche mode, or the outlaw country guys. I need more music back in my life.
No problem. You're right that a lot of the influence came from Depeche Mode in my own listening experience. You're much better and detecting other influences. I didn't get into Depeche Mode until I was in college in the late 90's and I always loved the earlier stuff, but later began to like it all, including Gahan's darker stuff that followed. At any rate, you've given me some new paths to tread. Thanks for that.

Social Distortion, The Misfits, Rancid, Jonny Cash, Willie Nelson, The Rankins, Gordon Lightfoot, Stan Rogers, The Distillers, Tragically Hip, Motorhead, The Reverend Horton Heat, The Clash, Iggy Pop, Stevie Wonder, The Ramones, Monster Magnet, Billy Idol, The Dead Kennedys, Wylon Jennings, Cypress Hill, LL Cool J, , Slip Knot, Disturbed, Pink Floyd, and on and on and on............

I can and do listen to just about everything except my dog died, my wife left me, crying in my beer country music, but I do like some country.

I'm gonna throw out one from left field. The Pogues. And Irish band. With rousing road trip songs. That I grew up with in the 80's and 90's. I carried a tape of there's around the world while I was in the Marine Corps. I only had room for two. The Pogues and The Police at the time. Nothing gets you going like a good Irish pub song. It's a mix of old and new music. that I love. Lot's of bagpipes with thrashing music behind it.

Take your top down and fly off into the wilderness to these tunes. I set the YT page to a playlist of 50 songs from the Pogues. Just hit the page link and it will play a whole host of songs from them.

Reactions: RussTJ
Social Distortion, The Misfits, Rancid, Jonny Cash, Willie Nelson, The Rankins, Gordon Lightfoot, Stan Rogers, The Distillers, Tragically Hip, Motorhead, The Reverend Horton Heat, The Clash, Iggy Pop, Stevie Wonder, The Ramones, Monster Magnet, Billy Idol, The Dead Kennedys, Wylon Jennings, Cypress Hill, LL Cool J, , Slip Knot, Disturbed, Pink Floyd, and on and on and on............

I can and do listen to just about everything except my dog died, my wife left me, crying in my beer country music, but I do like some country.
Yes! Very loud if possible.

Pandora playlist!

7F36976B-5AF8-4890-B265-BF4255043086.jpeg

Mostly the Blues, Steely Dan/Donald Fagen and really getting into Postmodern Jukebox. Ooh my, oh my.

Joe Cocker, Dr. Hook and the Medicine Show, Janis Joplin, Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots, Bob Seger, Billy Joel, White Stripes, Creedence Clearwater Revival, and most anything Country from the late 80's and earlier (no pop-country, thank you). Like most here, I'm kinda all over the place. Had over 600 albums before I started replacing them with cd's.

Lucky you Daz7! I was just wondering what happened to Midnight Oil the other day- one of my 80's favorites. I been really appreciating Van Halen with Sammy lately- I saw them with DLR a few times and it was always fun, but Sammy added something new and special- great vocalist. Still love most rock, but I listen to a lot of rock-a-billy lately. Fun, upbeat, crosses many genres. Anyone ever hear of Lara Hope and the Ark-Tones? They were the warm-up band for Brian Setzer Orchestra this past tour, and she is awesome. Funny, tongue in cheek lyrics, beautiful voice and a Patsy Cline meets Pin Up Girl style.

Reactions: Squatch
Depends on my cycle, but it's a wide mix. I do not listen to anything other than talk radio on the normal radio dial.
TOOL (#1 band ever)
Cody Jinks
Norma Jean (Not the lady)
10 Years
Old "outlaw" country
Classic rock
90's Alt/R&B/rock etc. No pop garbage

Right now it seems I've been on a Lamb of God kick

I listen mostly to classic rock and older country. My kids just told me about Cody Jinks and I really like his music. @moab I know some of the Pogues stuff and I’m gonna check out more after seeing your post.