North Carolina Driving the beaches of NC

woodmaster58

Hi Anyone

We are attending a wedding in NC in June, want to take the LJ over to outer banks to do some beach driving for a few days.
Anyone done this, tips on doing this.
There is lotsa info online but want some first person testimonials
Thanks

Reactions: PirataCoqui
Hello, woodmaster, I have done it many times and in many different vehicles and areas along OBX, most recently in my TJ a few weeks ago, on Carova Beach(free off-season). I like going off-season due to it being mostly dead and easy to find hug spans of beach just for you. In the summer, be prepared to share.

It's fun, kids love it, and even better if you like to fish or do some other beachgoing activity. Depending on where you go are and how frequent it is, you might have to worry about deep ruts left behind much bigger vehicles, but I have yet to get stuck with the proper precautions. (IE airing down is a must.), and once you get away from the entry areas, you can choose your line and avoid the ruts.

Here are a few pictures...

IMG_7789.jpg

IMG_7778.jpg

IMG_7782.jpg

IMG_7784.jpg

Yes, it’s great! +1 on the off season. Me and my wife go to Ocracoke Island for a week each in March/April and again in October and have drove most of the Cape Hatteras National Seashore areas that you’re allowed. Lots of loose sand at most of the on/off ramps, that’s where the airing down will help the most. It’s great to get out to an area where as far as you can see in both directions there is no one else but you.

Near the town of Avon, at ramp number 27, are the remnants of the G.A Kohler, an old wooden ship. Sometimes it’s covered with sand, sometimes it’s not. One time we were lucky enough to see parts of the ship.

We also went out one night when the Milky Way was visible. After turning all the lights off and letting our eye adjust, it was easily visible.

5463246A-ECA4-4F61-A599-9B882AE5B4B0.jpeg
E8AC69CD-CBD5-431C-82E2-72EDA21A3D69.jpeg
87E719D0-61FD-4CF0-B900-8D6E84CFB450.jpeg

Reactions: SoCalGlide
Also, you’ll need to get a permit to drive on the Cape Hatteras National Seashore areas. Since Covid, they haven’t been manning the rangers offices much, if any. You can get one online and print it out to take with you. Some places sell them too. One of the campgrounds on Ocracoke was selling them on one trip when I forgot to get one online before we left. There is an option for a 10 day pass or a yearly pass.

Airing down is a must. We once got lucky enough to get a Jeep rental from enterprise while in Nags Head. The entrances are always the gatekeepers deep deep loose sand and ruts galore. Pick your line and maintain momentum.

Which area are you going to?

1BB53200-03AA-4D13-A862-116B068D8DF3.jpeg

Reactions: MountaineerTom