Drop Down Tailgate for TJ?

Squatch

Master Thread Derailer
Supporting Member
I'm curious to know a couple of things, here. First, I'd just like to know what folks think of this particular product:

https://www.rokmen.com/drop-down-aluminum-tailgate-w-storage-compartment.html#

While I think it's rather boring to look at, I really like the drop-down tailgate. Having the storage in it makes it all the better. Opinions on this?
The second question is regarding the spare tire carrier in picture #6 (of 10). Any ideas on who makes a carrier that appears to mount to hinges in the factory location? Almost looks like factory hinge bases, to me. Might be a home-built unit, but if it is, it's nice. Information on that unit?

I bet anything stored in that makes a helluva noise over bumps.
I bet that’d be cool if you wanted to turn your Jeep into a 3rd grade metal lunchbox.
I bet that’d be cool if I took a superiorly designed, highly capable, four wheel drive vehicle into the deep bush for some brunch and needed a table.

Kidding Squatch! It looks pretty utility to me, but if you like function over form it looks like a good option!

Reactions: Chris and Squatch
I'm curious to know a couple of things, here. First, I'd just like to know what folks think of this particular product:

While I think it's rather boring to look at, I really like the drop-down tailgate. Having the storage in it makes it all the better. Opinions on this?
The second question is regarding the spare tire carrier in picture #6 (of 10). Any ideas on who makes a carrier that appears to mount to hinges in the factory location? Almost looks like factory hinge bases, to me. Might be a home-built unit, but if it is, it's nice. Information on that unit?
I’m actually about to buy mine. I’ve been in contact with swag offroad. I really like the idea of keeping my stock lock so that’s my reasoning.

Both Exogate and Orfab mount to the factory hinge location. I’m running nearly exactly whats in figure 6.

Reactions: Squatch

I like the drop down tailgates. Since you like the storage, id say go for it. I have yet to see a storage solution better than that. You could scratch the storage addition and go with a CJ tailgate as another option. Doing so will give it that classic Jeep look that looks awesome.
But that really is one of the better storage solutions I have seen for our TJ’s/LJ’s.

I bet anything stored in that makes a helluva noise over bumps.
I bet that’d be cool if you wanted to turn your Jeep into a 3rd grade metal lunchbox.
I bet that’d be cool if I took a superiorly designed, highly capable, four wheel drive vehicle into the deep bush for some brunch and needed a table.

Kidding Squatch! It looks pretty utility to me, but if you like function over form it looks like a good option!
Dude!!! LOL Those last two are killing me! Funny stuff! As for the first one, yeah...I was thinking things would need to be wrapped. Or maybe install some of that "pick and pluck" foam like they use in gun cases. I think that'd work. *(Still chuckling from the last two comments...) :p

Last edited:
I’m actually about to buy mine. I’ve been in contact with swag offroad. I really like the idea of keeping my stock lock so that’s my reasoning.

Both Exogate and Orfab mount to the factory hinge location. I’m running nearly exactly whats in figure 6.
For some strange reason, I somehow suspected you'd be the one who'd be eyeballing that tailgate, James. I wonder what in the world would make me think something like that...? ;) So, is Swag Offroad offering the same product, or something similar, yet different?

Reactions: JamesAndTheSahara
For some strange reason, I somehow suspected you'd be the one who'd be eyeballing that tailgate, James. I wonder what in the world would make me think something like that...? ;) So, is Swag Offroad offering the same product, or something similar, yet different?
Swag offroad offers a kit that converts your existing tailgate into a drop down tailgate. You retain the stock latch and lock, so your main key still locks the trunk. I really like this because with other drop down tailgates, you can’t use a hardtop. I will report back when I buy the kit to let you guys know how I like :).

Reactions: Squatch
I've always liked the drop down tail gate and have seen the CJ version and it definitely looks more 'factory' if you know what I mean.

Guess I'm gonna have to look into that CJ version. I'll bet that does look cool. Wouldn't do anything for storage, but I'd bet it's a helluva lot cheaper!

Swag offroad offers a kit that converts your existing tailgate into a drop down tailgate. You retain the stock latch and lock, so your main key still locks the trunk. I really like this because with other drop down tailgates, you can’t use a hardtop. I will report back when I buy the kit to let you guys know how I like :).
Pictures 6, 8 and 10 all show it being used with a hardtop, so that doesn't appear to be a concern with this one.

Reactions: JamesAndTheSahara
Jeep changed from a drop down tailgate to the swing out for the reason I'd never install that conversion. It's just so much harder to reach inside to get what you need with a drop down. It looks cool but it's just not as functional as the swing out which makes getting into the back a lot easier. I wanted to do that myself until I wheeled all day with a guy who had installed one. He told me it looks cool but he wished he hadn't done it, said it was a PITA overall and I saw why. Just an opinion. :)

Jeep changed from a drop down tailgate to the swing out for the reason I'd never install that conversion. It's just so much harder to reach inside to get what you need with a drop down. It looks cool but it's just not as functional as the swing out which makes getting into the back a lot easier. I wanted to do that myself until I wheeled all day with a guy who had installed one. He told me it looks cool but he wished he hadn't done it, said it was a PITA overall and I saw why. Just an opinion. :)
I had actually considered that, as I'm already vertically challenged. On my pick-up, the tailgate can be used as an extension of the bed for hauling. In a TJ, what the hell am I gonna haul? (Though someone...@StG58, maybe...said a washing machine fits nicely in there!) The storage thing I do find appealing, though I suspect there are ways to build something similar that'll attach to the stock tailgate. Hmmm... Thanks for the input, @Jerry Bransford.

That’s just one con though ;). A proper workstation on the trail, the ability to not be hit in the back by the tailgate on a slope, a tailgating seat? Gotta show both sides :D.

Reactions: Starrs and Squatch
Jerry brings up a very good point. I think this is one of those things that looks cool, sounds good on paper, but once you actually live with it, you end up realizing why Jeep went with a swing open tailgate instead.

Reactions: 05 Blue Unlimited
Six of one and half dozen of the other really ..... depends on what your using your TJ for depends how your gonna build your TJ. I'm a great believer in building your Jeep for your needs.
But this is why I love this forum as you get both pros and cons in anything you ask for.

1972-AMC-Full-Line-20-21.jpg?zoom=5.jpg

For those of you old enough to remember the 2-way tailgate in wagons...
Imagine our TJs having that same option. Suh-weet!

View attachment 31469

For those of you old enough to remember the 2-way tailgate in wagons...
Imagine our TJs having that same option. Suh-weet!
That's some mean engineering right there then...those tailgates arent light

Last edited: