Drummond Island, Michigan

ballpark

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
40th birthday trip was a week at Drummond Island with the family. Amazing trip. Hit the trails three days. For those that don't know, Drummond is a 250 sq mile Island to the East of Michigan's Upper Peninsula. There is pretty much nothing on this Island but they were able to get State approval for ATV's and ORV's. The Island is beautiful and mostly untouched. The water is super clear. Its typical Michigan beauty.

The Island is a rock. Most trails are rock. There was some mud, but with the exception of a few areas, nothing that is un driveable. Mostly ungroomed style rocky trails with standing water.

I was alone with my family so, I played it safe. I did break a sway bar link but that was about it. Only time I got stuck was on two logs at the same time. Lifted one side of each axle on my open diffs.

Here are some pics. Let me know if you have any questions:

IMG_5121.JPEG

IMG_5203.JPEG

IMG_5214.JPEG

IMG_5231.JPEG

IMG_5257.JPEG

IMG_5377.JPEG

IMG_5617.JPEG

IMG_5695.JPEG

IMG_5811.JPG

40th birthday trip was a week at Drummond Island with the family. Amazing trip. Hit the trails three days. For those that don't know, Drummond is a 250 sq mile Island to the East of Michigan's Upper Peninsula. There is pretty much nothing on this Island but they were able to get State approval for ATV's and ORV's. The Island is beautiful and mostly untouched. The water is super clear. Its typical Michigan beauty.

The Island is a rock. Most trails are rock. There was some mud, but with the exception of a few areas, nothing that is un driveable. Mostly ungroomed style rocky trails with standing water.

I was alone with my family so, I played it safe. I did break a sway bar link but that was about it. Only time I got stuck was on two logs at the same time. Lifted one side of each axle on my open diffs.

Here are some pics. Let me know if you have any questions:

View attachment 173090

View attachment 173091

View attachment 173092

View attachment 173093

View attachment 173094

View attachment 173095

View attachment 173096

View attachment 173097

View attachment 173098
Looks like you guys had one hell of a time! I remember getting that badge of honor like it was yesterday...good pics and thanks for sharing here. Very cool seeing the black bears too!

Reactions: Squatch
F2AAD964-CF5B-4503-BB6A-D33A54ECC434.jpeg

I visited Drummond Island for the 23rd DI Jeep Jamboree. I’ve got the yellow TJ in this photo. I’m a big fan of rocks, so this trip was a lot of fun.

Where did you stay?

Looks like you guys had one hell of a time! I remember getting that badge of honor like it was yesterday...good pics and thanks for sharing here. Very cool seeing the black bears too!
So, I technically did not earn the badge. I did not back it down Marblehead. But I checked in on the app at my house about 10 miles from the trailhead due to no cell signals. When I checked in, it said congrats, where can we send you the badge? Very confused. I didn’t even have to do anything...

So, I technically did not earn the badge. I did not back it down Marblehead. But I checked in on the app at my house about 10 miles from the trailhead due to no cell signals. When I checked in, it said congrats, where can we send you the badge? Very confused. I didn’t even have to do anything...
Close enough

Reactions: ballpark
You can typically check-in within a 10 mile radius of the trailhead to have the reception, but again it being an “honor” system, badge of honor, you would still proceed to the trail and run it.

Reactions: ballpark
Did you go play at Turtle Creek? That is a private off road park on the island and it has some more challenging trails. We had fun playing on the rocks when we were there, both at the park and on the Island.

Did you go play at Turtle Creek? That is a private off road park on the island and it has some more challenging trails. We had fun playing on the rocks when we were there, both at the park and on the Island.

No turtle creek. I was alone for one, and didn't want to do anything too risky. Also, I was there 6 days and went jeeping on 3 of the days. A family of 4 and a dog in the TJ, and my wife and son just used a lot of the time to read books. I still have a few sections of the state trails that I could have explored.

Next time I will go with some friends. Jeep with someone and give my family a bit more to do...

Reactions: matkal
Badges, you got stinkin' badges? My wife's family has a cabin on Drummond and that's where we've done most of our off-roading over the years on bikes and more recently, the TJ. It never gets old. But out of all the times we've made it though the extreme trails to Marble Head, no badges! What's this about?

We were up two weeks ago when the Jamboree was scheduled, but cancelled due to COVID. Still saw a half dozen or so faithful on the trails that made the trip anyway.
WfRHSU_D2x9x2JOLnyzVOyvq-llp-9s9LZ7Bh46bPdKI34YwZN81RIJ06nAVIevRzGBt_mf6QAyvYIuGYFEimNTbyKyl9qPqIG8idaIpX13L7pnYBXcRfPuJiZP0Jr8DjNTkDELFS7ZilEQYJYKTC0eU_ds6XAUu0CVnc_6yVVuaxQGiGbVvFuPfIzGvdg5263Fc6lA41cUaBbpyKrovQVqZWvwSW2_irBS30rBIaXxo4Rsq8jyjQ7DrtgjlwTXHTeWHEejpxsQ76U_tewIqz9IxD6LCqMgndPnKrIPIavi7U17hcBh-yteidL9Ykm8k-u7cFROsV7-KhBXAeMw83nGRQSf9E8XomjH9hbrMjOy5UUGgvL90z-LW40uEjg2LAuIDDMn_egBuIZYA3wowwj27jiTgn2ao80YneNQm81zVp4N8R-uUrGlWrlF64UJX4kMTdCIN5iEdZx4ISLzdda9bydvYdDrd6XsmXyALaBhjw2m3POW0PsqK1y0afcbyu7Nka2fgqBNPC620HJO6d43KUkDruwtpSFoHRinW8deMVIUpa4Ea0A1UP5SjgLuuz-qtvJfxSzIlMYgf2Zka5MHHehC2N113Rn0w2VoyJfEjC6dP563ycb7-uU-UT_rGoAwP7H8tbye9HCSqjBJ5bcNweFgSQKT3WtLuk7LAK8d8iBfVW9dtgmGpDvwDdO_eaPLCv5k=s834-w834-h625-no

Badges, you got stinkin' badges? My wife's family has a cabin on Drummond and that's where we've done most of our off-roading over the years on bikes and more recently, the TJ. It never gets old. But out of all the times we've made it though the extreme trails to Marble Head, no badges! What's this about?

We were up two weeks ago when the Jamboree was scheduled, but cancelled due to COVID. Still saw a half dozen or so faithful on the trails that made the trip anyway.
WfRHSU_D2x9x2JOLnyzVOyvq-llp-9s9LZ7Bh46bPdKI34YwZN81RIJ06nAVIevRzGBt_mf6QAyvYIuGYFEimNTbyKyl9qPqIG8idaIpX13L7pnYBXcRfPuJiZP0Jr8DjNTkDELFS7ZilEQYJYKTC0eU_ds6XAUu0CVnc_6yVVuaxQGiGbVvFuPfIzGvdg5263Fc6lA41cUaBbpyKrovQVqZWvwSW2_irBS30rBIaXxo4Rsq8jyjQ7DrtgjlwTXHTeWHEejpxsQ76U_tewIqz9IxD6LCqMgndPnKrIPIavi7U17hcBh-yteidL9Ykm8k-u7cFROsV7-KhBXAeMw83nGRQSf9E8XomjH9hbrMjOy5UUGgvL90z-LW40uEjg2LAuIDDMn_egBuIZYA3wowwj27jiTgn2ao80YneNQm81zVp4N8R-uUrGlWrlF64UJX4kMTdCIN5iEdZx4ISLzdda9bydvYdDrd6XsmXyALaBhjw2m3POW0PsqK1y0afcbyu7Nka2fgqBNPC620HJO6d43KUkDruwtpSFoHRinW8deMVIUpa4Ea0A1UP5SjgLuuz-qtvJfxSzIlMYgf2Zka5MHHehC2N113Rn0w2VoyJfEjC6dP563ycb7-uU-UT_rGoAwP7H8tbye9HCSqjBJ5bcNweFgSQKT3WtLuk7LAK8d8iBfVW9dtgmGpDvwDdO_eaPLCv5k=s834-w834-h625-no
Look up Jeep badge of honor, then download the app.

Check in on the app at the trailhead and run the trail. Jeep will send you a badge for it.
5F2F59DF-C79A-49F8-878C-FA6A1E034841.jpeg

Reactions: Vasq