Dubai Desert Safari

VegasOPM

Supporting Member
Back in November I went to Dubai for 3 weeks to help get a new Entertainment venue open and the AV Company had several serious off-roaders working there. We had a half-day off and they were kind enough to take me out in the desert to play in the dunes. I live in Las Vegas, so I have played on rocks, desert and some dunes before- but nothing like this. We definitely don't have herds of camels out here in Vegas either- so this was a very special trip for me. 1 JK, 1 JL, 1 Nissan Patrol and a Dodge Truck bombing through the dunes!

I love the fact that everywhere I go, off-road enthusiasts are the same. They love their vehicles AND the places their vehicles can take them.

IMG_0763.JPG

IMG_0649.JPG

IMG_0616.JPG

IMG_0645.JPG

IMG_0648.JPG

IMG_0651.JPG

Very cool! Those Nissan Patrols are hugely popular over there. @Flivver250 lives over in Dubai as well.
The OG Patrols used to be badass, and one of the vehicles I lusted over in my earlier years when I was a huge JDM enthusiast. Something about the boxy, utilitarianism coupled with the mechanical engineering of the era just speaks to me.

Reactions: Squatch and Chris
The OG Patrols used to be badass, and one of the vehicles I lusted over in my earlier years when I was a huge JDM enthusiast. Something about the boxy, utilitarianism coupled with the mechanical engineering of the era just speaks to me.
I still see the Patrols show up every now and then on the local Craigslist. There's one down in Oregon for sale right now, in fact. A little rougher than what I usually see, and pricier, too...

https://corvallis.craigslist.org/cto/d/lebanon-nissan-patrol/6773543945.html

You don't usually see the TJs on the tours because we are deeper in the desert in the hard to reach areas :) All kidding aside, the locals really know how to run the dunes and it is less about the vehicle and more about the driver. The Chevy V-8s seem to dominate the hill climbs, or the radically modified Nissans. The XJs are quite popular because they have power and not very heavy. The old timers like the TJs much better than the JKs, but they aren't very good at maintaining or restoring them. Worn or broken = discard and replace. My posse keeps our rigs fresh.

Reactions: derekmac