Dumb Question about the Dash

T_Hase89

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
This TJR I bought has a dent in the dash pad on the passenger side. Looks like someone punched it in the past. Although this is a trail rig, it drives me nuts. I assume a couple screws behind glove box and it’ll pull off? Any implications to the airbag? Going to try to give it a little heat and fix it.

7E58D926-16C8-4F8B-A376-D153FBC668A4.jpeg

Unplug the battery, turn on the lights, and wait a few minutes before starting. That way if the airbag is moved the wrong way, you don't end up in the hospital.

I haven't pulled that panel off before, but if you take the glovebox out and pull up the defroster cover, I imagine it would be easy to find any screws. It probably just pops out in most places to allow the airbag to expand.

Looks like someone punched it in the past.

... or their face hit it because the airbag failed. :D

But seriously, this isn't a dumb question. I've actually wondered how the passenger's side airbag is configured as well. I'll be interested to see the responses.

Reactions: T_Hase89
Unplug the battery, turn on the lights, and wait a few minutes before starting. That way if the airbag is moved the wrong way, you don't end up in the hospital.

I haven't pulled that panel off before, but if you take the glovebox out and pull up the defroster cover, I imagine it would be easy to find any screws. It probably just pops out in most places to allow the airbag to expand.
Movement and orientation don't set off the airbags.

Passenger airbag cover not difficult to pull off but is tricky. There are 2-10mm nuts you have to remove (on my 98 anyway) that are tucked way up in each corner as the airbag cover curves towards the windshield, aside from all of the phillips screws holding everything down. Best thing to use is a good thin ratcheting 10mm wrench and a lot of patience. Even more fun putting it back on. But you need to remove glovebox door, grab handle and the defrost vent trim piece right by the windshield that runs the width of the Jeep.

1567769664088.png

1567769753803.png

the same panel in my jeep is weird too, i have like a little arch on the top of that plastic piece it doesn't line up with the dash. very weird !!!!