Dumped exhaust melted my sway bar bushing

Brian83

TJ Enthusiast
Looks like a trip back to the exhaust shop and do something different.

IMG_20200731_183305852.jpg

That's just one reason not to dump the exhaust before the factory did. The other is that CO can collect underneath your Jeep and depending on conditions, it could make its way up into the passenger compartment. I'd have it extended out so it's at or close to where the factory put it.

I'm surprised. I have several vehicles with the exhaust dumped before the rear axle. They're all big V8s with long tubes and no cats, and have yet to melt anything.

I would try turning the tip to the side, maybe on a 45°.

Looks like a trip back to the exhaust shop and do something different.

View attachment 180819
Doing something different is what created that problem... Do it like the factory engineers designed.

Violation- altered Factory design of exhaust without forum approval.

Fine- -25 points

Notes- first offense.

Last edited:
There are plenty of good reasons everything comes with a tailpipe.
I'm not sure if you drive it in the winter but heat is a catalyst for rust.

Maybe post a pic from the side of the Jeep showing where exactly it dumps and how far back it goes? Most of the axle dumps I see have the muffler/cat moved farther forward and the pipe ends not that far past the transfercase skid.

That's just one reason not to dump the exhaust before the factory did. The other is that CO can collect underneath your Jeep and depending on conditions, it could make its way up into the passenger compartment. I'd have it extended out so it's at or close to where the factory put it.

See the CO detector next to the radio? That is there because I had a bad case of CO poisoning caused by a leak that let a whole lot less CO into the cab than what you have.

81C6E737-1B0D-4D57-A161-A25A9CAC29F6.jpeg