Dunce moment...

AtlWrangler99

TJ Enthusiast
So, I took my TJ to get an oil change and decided to take it to the car wash and wash it myself. I actually did a better job at cleaning it myself than when I pay someone else to wash it. Well anyway upon trying to leave the car wash my baby wouldn't start. So a couple of guys see me having trouble and decide to try and give me a jump. I tell them I had just bought a brand new battery and got a new starter put on three weeks ago so I'm not understanding why it won't start. The guy connects the cable and nothing. Lights and everything are on in the jeep but it won't start, but I keep hearing a "clicking" noise. So the guy figured that maybe his cables are bad. All the while I'm just perplexed why my baby won't start. Well, another guy connects his cables and still nothing. As we are trying to figure out what's going on a third guy pulls up and asks "Are you having trouble I'm a mechanic" I tell him, yeah it won't start and I'm baffled because I have a new battery and starter. He puts the key in the ignition and nothing but the lights are on. So he asks "Do you have an alarm on here?" and I'm like no but the previous owner did put an automatic starter on it but I have never used it to crank the jeep........Y'all why did this guy look at my key ring and there was an unlock button on it. He presses the unlock button, sticks the key in the ignition, turns the switch and she starts right on up. He goes "well it looks like the previous owner put a kill switch on it and you turned the switch on by mistake when you hit the lock button on your key ring"......Can I just say I felt so damn stupid? All this time I thought the buttons on the key ring were for the automatic starter. I'm learning something new every day about Big Red.

[Hoping this thread grows with dunce moments. Here's mine.]

When I first got my TJ, I would off and on do some work under the hood. Fix a light, add power wires for my 2m radio, check oil, and such. I looked for the hood prop to hold the hood up but couldn't find it so I just put the hood all the way out of the way by leaning it, carefully, on the windshield frame. Sure, it is a Jeep, seems real Jeepers don't use lame hood props. I am fine with that.

I was reviewing some content in my manual and, hey, it showed that there is indeed prop and, what? It is attached to the hood? And you unclip it from there to bring it down - DOWN! - to where the radiator is? I mean, the sun came out, trumpets blew, o wondrous amazement aboundeth!

I just never looked up at the hood to see it.

Months!!! It took me months to figure that out.

When I first got my TJ, I would off and on do some work under the hood. Fix a light, add power wires for my 2m radio, check oil, and such. I looked for the hood prop to hold the hood up but couldn't find it so I just put the hood all the way out of the way by leaning it, carefully, on the windshield frame. Sure, it is a Jeep, seems real Jeepers don't use lame hood props. I am fine with that.

I was reviewing some content in my manual and, hey, it showed that there is indeed prop and, what? It is attached to the hood? And you unclip it from there to bring it down - DOWN! - to where the radiator is? I mean, the sun came out, trumpets blew, o wondrous amazement aboundeth!

I know my hood prop is there but I never use it. Its much easier to access everything when the hood is laid back on the windshield in my opinion.

My only dunce moment is getting completely stuck on a forest service road by myself. Who knew 29 inch blizzaks aren't good at clawing through mud!

Dropping the hood to latch it the first time. Hey, that’s what you do with all other cars! Dunce moment...

Left a wrench [emoji373] on the backside of the nut for the rear track bar frame side. Lowered the Jeep and noticed the open end was stabbing into the tire. Had to remove the tire to get it unstuck and keep it from ruining the tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay, I looked all over for my prop rod, and couldn't find one. I even looked on the underside of the hood, but nothing. I was too damned embarrassed to get on here and ask if these things even had one, so I just leaned the hood all the way back every time. Well, I found it when I pulled the interior out. For some unknown reason the PO had removed it, and placed it alongside the jack handle by the passenger seat. I just kept seeing "another jack handle"...DOH!!!

Last edited:

See you just taught me something. I had no idea that it had a prop to hold the hood up. I like you just leaned the hood all the way back on to the windshield frame. Lol

Reactions: TomT509
I was test fitting some cheap fog lights I traded my LED headlights for, left all the washers, nuts, and bumper protectors, on the bumper. Got a phone call mid install, and forgot about what I was doing. This was the day I got my new KO2's, so my wife followed me to the shop. As I get in the car she says "there were pieces falling off your Jeep", then I remember..the fog lights...

When I first got my TJ in May last year, I did all the usual stuff, changed oil, topped off fluids, cleaned batter posts and cables, air filter, etc. Well after I spent about hour and half doing all of that I go in to prime the fresh oil, NOTHING! NO START! WTF did I just do? Low and behold, I left the battery cables dangling. Age is a bitch!