DuncLJ's Big Bolt-On Bonanza

funny, I was just thinking of replacing my carpet, either ripping it out and line-x ing the tub, or replacing with something like bedrug, nice to see it fits correctly...and, yes, that tub of yours looks very clean!
Thanks, I have bedliner in the rear tub area, and put the Bedrug in the front and rear foot wells. Seems to work out well.

Looks like a little brake upgrade is on tap soon...

PXL_20210623_001515725.jpg

It even came with Bubblegum flavored brake caliper lube...How thoughtful!

PXL_20210623_001536252.jpg

My old carpet was getting pretty worn and tired. It also works like velcro on pine needles and dog hair. It never looks good and clean, even right after I clean it.

I got some new Bedrug. It is waterproof, and doesn't have a deep nap in it to trap things.

Pulled out my old carpet, and set it next to the new pieces. The Bedrug is molded and pretty much cut exactly like the factory carpet.

View attachment 256500

I didn't remove the seats or console, no real need to. I just loosened the console so I could slide the BedRug under it . I would have removed everything if I had any tub repairs to do, but my tub looked really good.

View attachment 256501

Installation was pretty easy. Every piece fit well. The kit came with adhesive heat shield pieces for the driver and passenger floor.

View attachment 256502

Got it all in, and I think it looks pretty good. Hopefully it holds up well and is easier to maintain.

View attachment 256503
View attachment 256504
View attachment 256505
The bedrug is a Great upgrade. I put it in my jeep and mud just vacuums out. I had piles of Michigan Clay embedded in mine...and I just sucked it up. A good stiff brush will loosen any mud up and a shop vac to remove. Its really nice stuff. I'm very happy with it.

I agree, I've been very happy with it. One pass with a shop vac has been able to get anything and everything out of it.
No mud or clay yet, but it's good to know that it cleans up easily. 🍻

Installed my Black Magic Brake Pads and Centric rotors yesterday. I followed the directions pretty much word for word in order to get maximum effectiveness from them. I flushed all the fluid, and did a thorough bleed. Did a good inspection of the knuckles and caliper rails, they are in pretty good shape.

After the install, I did the break-in according to the instructions. By the second round of the break-in, I could lock up the 35's from 40 mph. I did another round of break-in this morning. The Jeep stops very quickly and stays in control.

I'll probably be upgrading to a BBK within the next 2 years or so, but for now, this is a very nice and effective upgrade.

PXL_20210706_204607606.jpg

While everything was off, My "White Rocket" shocks were looking a little ratty. I took them off, and did a scuff and paint with some silver caliper paint. It should hold up better and the silver blends in nicely.

PXL_20210706_184237598.jpg

PXL_20210706_195808129.jpg

Last edited:
I bought gears and lockers about 6 months ago, but other projects have eaten into the funds to get them installed.

I finally got the cash in hand and loaded up the 5.13 Revolution gears and Yukon Grizzly lockers into the Jeep. I dropped them all off at "Fearless Gear" here in Fresno.
I know two buddies who have had gears done by these guys and they seem to know their stuff.
I should have the Jeep back by Thursday.
Here's to everything going smoothly. 🍻

PXL_20210823_145031576.jpg

Screenshot_20210823-201024~2.png

Last edited:
Love your build. Reminds me of mine, just better! You’re going to love lockers. Unstoppable.

Reactions: L J and DuncLJ
So I dropped off the Jeep, gears and lockers yesterday and was told it should be ready by Thursday pm.
I got a call today at noon and was told the Jeep was done and ready for pickup.
I hustled my ass down there and picked it up.
OMFG!!! the 5.13's are awesome. Acceleration is back. RPM' s are up. No vibes, no howling, no whining. Couldn't be happier with the gear install.
The Yukon Grizzlies seem to be pretty cool too. I'll reserve my full review till a few more miles down the road, but for now I am impressed.
I was mentally prepared for lurching, clicking, and clanking; but I am pleasantly surprised by how well behaved they are. I am still in the break-in process, so I am treating them gently, but they seem to behave very smoothly. We'll see as time progresses. I am happy and relieved for now....
I have the day off tomorrow. I'll spend the day driving the Jeep around all day and get it through the break-in.
I can't wait to hit the trails!

If you squint and zoom in, you can see the new gears and lockers. 🤣🤣🤣

PXL_20210824_220652015.jpg

Cheers to Fearless Gear in Fresno! If you are in central Cali and need gears, i can't recommend these guys enough.🍻🍻🍻

PXL_20210824_235044730~2.jpg

Anybody want a Dana 30 factory carrier with a perfectly functioning Aussie Locker?
Free... Hit me up...

PXL_20210825_032526398.jpg

Last edited:
So I dropped off the Jeep, gears and lockers yesterday and was told it should be ready by Thursday pm.
OMFG!!! the 5.13's are awesome. Acceleration is back. RPM' s are up. No vibes, no howling, no whining. Couldn't be happier with the gear ratio.
The Yukon Grizzlies seem to be pretty cool too. I'll reserve my full review till a few more miles down the road, but for now I am impressed.
I was mentally prepared for lurching, clicking, and clanking; but I am pleasantly surprised by how well behaved they are. I am still in the break-in process, so I am treating them gently, but they seem to behave very smoothly. We'll see as time progresses. I am happy and relieved for now....
I have the day off tomorrow. I'll spend the day driving the Jeep around all day and get it through the break-in.

View attachment 272995

Cheers to Fearless Gear in Fresno! If you are in central Cali and need gears, i can't recommend these guys enough.🍻🍻🍻

View attachment 272996

Anybody want a Dana 30 factory carrier with a perfectly functioning Aussie Locker?
Free... Hit me up...

View attachment 272997
They say timing is everything. I ordered a Torq Locker a few days ago and it showed up today. 🙂

Reactions: DuncLJ
OMFG!!! the 5.13's are awesome. Acceleration is back. RPM' s are up. No vibes, no howling, no whining. Couldn't be happier with the gear ratio.

View attachment 272995

View attachment 272996

Free... Hit me up...

View attachment 272997
Would you ship it to SC if I paid shipping? I‘m guessing it could be a lot though unless it would fit in a USPS flat rate box.

Would you ship it to SC if I paid shipping? I‘m guessing it could be a lot though unless it would fit in a USPS flat rate box.
I would no problem. I already have someone interested. I'll give him first rights. If it falls through you are next. I will let you know. Thanks.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
I would no problem. I already have someone interested. I'll give him first rights. If it falls through you are next. I will let you know. Thanks.
Sounds good, just let me know what shipping would be If the other person doesn’t work out. My zip is 29154.

Just to make sure, I could pull my Dana 30 carrier and swap in this carrier, correct? Just not sure if re-shimming or something may need to be done. Or would it be best to pull the locker and put in my carrier?

Sounds good, just let me know what shipping would be If the other person doesn’t work out. My zip is 29154.

Just to make sure, I could pull my Dana 30 carrier and swap in this carrier, correct? Just not sure if re-shimming or something may need to be done. Or would it be best to pull the locker and put in my carrier?
If you pulled your carrier and swapped it for my whole assembly; you would probably need to check your backlash, just in case our carriers were a few ten thousandths of an inch different. If you removed the locker assy and put it in your carrier, nothing else would need to be done.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
If you pulled your carrier and swapped it for my whole assembly; you would probably need to check your backlash, just in case our carriers were a few ten thousandths of an inch different. If you removed the locker assy and put it in your carrier, nothing else would need to be done.
Ok, I was thinking that might be the case.

Thanks again.

View attachment 272995

you sound like a kid who just got a shiny new bike on Xmas day, congrats!

I'm almost through with the new gear break-in. The new gears are great. My gas mileage has jumped from an abysmal 10 mpg with the 3.73's to a weirdly satisfying 13mpg with the 5.13's.
That is with a heavy throttle foot also, now that the Jeep can actually accelerate again.

Today I did my first 5 tire rotation since putting the 35's on last year. I've been very happy with the BFG KM3's. They still ride very smoothly and reasonably quiet for an MT.

PXL_20210901_213649732~2.jpg

I also changed out my speedometer gear to account for the larger tires and new gears.
It was kind of a pain in the ass. Apparently large speedo gears don't play well with Advance Adapters SYE's. It took me like 4-5 tries to get the gears to mesh up properly The indexing of the housing is very sensitive with a bigger tooth gear.

Stock 34 tooth gear compared to new 41 tooth.

PXL_20210827_232743040~2.jpg

I matched the speedometer up with the GPS on my phone, it's pretty close. It's nice to have an accurate speedo again. I haven't had one in about 7 years. 🍻

So all National Forests are closed in California due to wildfires.
I decided to find out what that really meant.
I live about 50 miles from the boundary of Sierra National Forest. I have a reservation for a campsite SEP 21- 24 there.

Two of those days were supposed to be dedicated to off-road trails.

I did a recon trip today to see what was really open and what was closed.

There are 6 large lakes in the forest, only Shaver lake was open. The roads to the other lakes were closed. The forest service roads around Shaver were open and provided a fun day of exploring.

All of the good OHV trails were closed however.
I may have to postpone my vacation till October, hopefully all of the trails and lakes will be open by then.

I had a pretty good day though. I did some easy trails around the lake. Scenery was great.

PXL_20210907_183050169.jpg

PXL_20210907_190103726.jpg

PXL_20210907_191138733.jpg

PXL_20210907_191501111~2.jpg
PXL_20210907_192911469.jpg

Like I said, all of the good trails were closed. I felt like Clark Griswold when he got to WallyWorld.

PXL_20210907_183753719.jpg

AdmiredConsciousBarracuda-max-1mb.gif

Last edited: