DuncLJ's Big Bolt-On Bonanza

Fresno… interesting place. I had a couple day detour there after breaking down leaving Yosemite valley. Big Sur would have been much cooler.
Haha! Interesting is the perfect word. I've lived here for 24 years in a nice area so it's home to me. For a visitor, I could see that it might be a peculiar place.
The best part for me is that it is 1 hour to the mountains, 2 hours to the coast, home prices are relatively low, and traffic is a non-issue. The summer heat does suck though ...

Haha! Interesting is the perfect word. I've lived here for 24 years in a nice area so it's home to me. For a visitor, I could see that it might be a peculiar place.
The best part for me is that it is 1 hour to the mountains, 2 hours to the coast, home prices are relatively low, and traffic is a non-issue. The summer heat does suck though ...

We were basically stuck to our hotel downtown(which was pretty dead) waiting on my van to be fixed. Not a whole lot going on there. But yeah I could see how proximity is nice… still never made it to Big Sur.

Reactions: DuncLJ
We were basically stuck to our hotel downtown(which was pretty dead) waiting on my van to be fixed. Not a whole lot going on there. But yeah I could see how proximity is nice… still never made it to Big Sur.
Big Sur is amazing. We camp there at least once a year. Truly bucket list material.

mcway-falls-big-sur-ca.jpg

So I saw that all the cool kids are installing seat heaters now. I got inspired by @JMT 's post in his build thread where he recently installed them.
This is the heater kit that I got.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09744GJSJ/?tag=wranglerorg-20
The kit included everything; mats, wiring bundles, relays, switches, and fuses.

PXL_20220121_210638570.jpg

Installed the switches in the console where most others do. It really seems like the most logical spot.

PXL_20220121_221301543.jpg

Heater mats have adhesive that simply sticks on to your old seat. I put mine right over the old upholstery, under the Bartact seat covers.

PXL_20220121_211748264.jpg
PXL_20220121_213436754.jpg

Ran the wiring and relay bundles to the switches, then just tapped into power at the fuse box and installed a ground under the console.
While I was doing this, I threw the Bartacts into the washing machine and set them out to dry.

PXL_20220121_222100931_3.jpg

Finished up and put everything back together. The heaters work great, they heat up really fast and have a hi-lo setting.
Overall, a great inexpensive mod.
It'll be nice having toasted buns on the way to work every morning.

PXL_20220122_222111180.jpg

Last edited:
So I saw that all the cool kids are installing seat heaters now. I got inspired by @JMT 's post in his build thread where he recently installed them.
This is the heater kit that I got.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09744GJSJ/?tag=wranglerorg-20
The kit included everything; mats, wiring bundles, relays, switches, and fuses.

View attachment 304297

Installed the switches in the console where most others do. It really seems like the most logical spot.

View attachment 304298

Heater mats have adhesive that simply sticks on to your old seat. I put mine right over the old upholstery, under the Bartact seat covers.

View attachment 304299View attachment 304300

Ran the wiring and relay bundles to the switches, then just tapped into power at the fuse box and installed a ground under the console.
While I was doing this, I threw the Bartacts into the washing machine and set them out to dry.

View attachment 304308

Finished up and put everything back together. The heaters work great, they heat up really fast and have a hi-lo setting.
Overall, a great inexpensive mod.
It'll be nice having toasted buns on the way to work every morning.

View attachment 304303
I used mine for their first wheelin’ trip today! Nice work! Change your life.

Hot Buns! 🔥❤️😊😎

AD42CADA-DA72-42A9-ACB0-91B6B1CAC1BA.jpeg

It's one of my favorite days of the year. The day I remove the full doors and put on the half doors for the next 6 months.

This year I gave them a little spruce up for the season. They had a few chips and scratches in the paint, the limiter straps were shot, and limiter brackets I had made were twisted.

Sanded down to the old primer and blended the chips and scratches.

PXL_20220501_200709425.jpg

A couple coats of new primer sprayed on. Then sanded smooooth... Then fresh Bright Silver Metallic paint and lots of clear.

PXL_20220504_225238734.jpg

Reassembled and painted the interior Gloss Gray to match the interior.

PXL_20220509_200055624.jpg

Made some new limiter brackets out of some aluminum "L" channel I had laying around.

PXL_20220509_192207289.jpg

Installed the limiter brackets using the hardware for the lower door hinge. I then hung the doors and installed some new Paracord limiter straps.

PXL_20220509_212151722.jpg

PXL_20220509_203805795.jpg

Came out halfway decent. Bring on the warm weather and summer wheeling. I'm ready!!! 🍻

PXL_20220509_212204644.jpg

PXL_20220509_212140449.jpg

It's one of my favorite days of the year. The day I remove the full doors and put on the half doors for the next 6 months.

This year I gave them a little spruce up for the season. They had a few chips and scratches in the paint, the limiter straps were shot, and limiter brackets I had made were twisted.

Sanded down to the old primer and blended the chips and scratches.

View attachment 329314

A couple coats of new primer sprayed on. Then sanded smooooth... Then fresh Bright Silver Metallic paint and lots of clear.

View attachment 329315

Reassembled and painted the interior Gloss Gray to match the interior.

View attachment 329316

Made some new limiter brackets out of some aluminum "L" channel I had laying around.

View attachment 329317

Installed the limiter brackets using the hardware for the lower door hinge. I then hung the doors and installed some new Paracord limiter straps.

View attachment 329318

View attachment 329319

Came out halfway decent. Bring on the warm weather and summer wheeling. I'm ready!!! 🍻

View attachment 329320

View attachment 329321
Those are nice! Who makes those ones?

Ever think about removing the lower half of the door surround?
I have... just never got around to it. Maybe this summer it will make its debut.

Edit * It will make its debut... starting now. :cool: 🍻

Last edited:
Thanks man! They are JCR trail doors. I bought them about 2 years ago for about $450, now they are going for $999 on their website.

Sounds like they are trying to get out of the half door business
Do they accept an upper?