DuncLJ's Big Bolt-On Bonanza

Dang...I really like that bumper. That is the one that tucks back further and installs into the sway bar bolt hole, right. Sharp. I might have to add it to the list!

Yep, that's the one. It really is nice, lightweight, and lots of clearance.

Shameless plug for UCF:

I've ordered 3 different things from them so far. All have shipped within a day or 2 after ordering. Confirmation e-mails and order status updates happen on the same day. I even called them in the middle of an order once because I changed my mind. Matt picked up the phone on the first ring and squared everything away right then and there. I can't say enough about their customer service.

Last edited:
Finally got the winch wired up, control pack installed, and synthetic line installed.

20200519_172931.jpg

20200519_164555.jpg

I got a nice good stretch on the line by attaching to my wife's Cadillac in the garage. My driveway is about 75 feet long and at a slight incline. I put the Jeep in the street, set the e-brake a couple of clicks and pulled the Jeep up the driveway. The line spooled up nice and tight.

20200519_163214.jpg
20200519_163434.jpg

Weather is supposed to be nice and in the low 80's all week. Stripped down to the bikini top and put on the tube doors. Should be a great Jeep week.

20200519_183218.jpg

Looks excellent. Love the spooling idea. And the graphic on the hood looks good, did not notice that til now.

Reactions: DuncLJ
Looks excellent. Love the spooling idea. And the graphic on the hood looks good, did not notice that til now.
Yeah, I got a lot of attention from my neighbors when I had the Jeep in the middle of the street and winching it up the driveway. However since I fix most of their cars, lawnmowers, and sprinkler systems for a 12 pack, they cut me some slack and just smile and wave.

Finally got the winch wired up, control pack installed, and synthetic line installed.

View attachment 162973

View attachment 162974

I got a nice good stretch on the line by attaching to my wife's Cadillac in the garage. My driveway is about 75 feet long and at a slight incline. I put the Jeep in the street, set the e-brake a couple of clicks and pulled the Jeep up the driveway. The line spooled up nice and tight.

View attachment 162975View attachment 162977

Weather is supposed to be nice and in the low 80's all week. Stripped down to the bikini top and put on the tube doors. Should be a great Jeep week.

View attachment 162979

Your bumper looks great, I've been considering getting one for myself recently. It looks like it only has two mounting holes on the top on their website, but yours seems to have a third mounting hole that you attached your hooks with as well. Did you just measure and drill that third hole yourself? And what made you decide to paint it? I've got a silver LJ as well and think I'd leave it bare, at least for now. Great looking jeep!

Reactions: DuncLJ
Your bumper looks great, I've been considering getting one for myself recently. It looks like it only has two mounting holes on the top on their website, but yours seems to have a third mounting hole that you attached your hooks with as well. Did you just measure and drill that third hole yourself? And what made you decide to paint it? I've got a silver LJ as well and think I'd leave it bare, at least for now. Great looking jeep!

Thank you. Yes, I drilled the third hole. I just bolted the hook on the aft hole, made sure it was straight, and drilled it.
It lined up perfect.

20200501_154132a.jpg

I decided to paint it just because I like it black, no other real reason. All of my other trim and bumpers are black, so I just felt it looked better.

No reason you couldn't leave it natural though. I've seen people do it and it looks great too. 🍻

I haven't had a whole lot of time lately on the LJ, to many other home projects.
However, I did have time to put a few coats of satin black on the new bumper, fairlead, and hoop.

View attachment 160626

I was also able to splice my synthetic line onto the safety thimble using a "Locked Brummel eye splice with a deep bury". I could be wrong on the term, It's been about 20 years since I took an Army rigging class. Thank God for Google.

View attachment 160629

Cheers to watching paint dry.

View attachment 160631

For reference in case others may be learning, there is no strength advantage to the Locked Brummel over a simple long bury splice. The thimble design also pretty much negates the use of a lock stitch to stop wandering fingers from tampering with and loosening the splice after it is loaded heavily. You pretty much have to dig it out with a metal fid to get a new thimble installed.

Reactions: taylormade73
For reference in case others may be learning, there is no strength advantage to the Locked Brummel over a simple long bury splice. The thimble design also pretty much negates the use of a lock stitch to stop wandering fingers from tampering with and loosening the splice after it is loaded heavily. You pretty much have to dig it out with a metal fid to get a new thimble installed.

Thank you, I read this very thing on animatedknots.com the day after I spliced this on.

Capture11.JPG

So I get that it adds no additional strength. Does it take any strength away, or is it just not necessary?

Thank you, I read this very thing on animatedknots.com the day after I spliced this on.

View attachment 163315
So I get that it adds no additional strength. Does it take any strength away, or is it just not necessary?
I've seen quite a few tests where the Brummel did degrade overall breaking strength due to the stress risers at the loops. I've also seen tests that show 100% line strength. We don't have a line strength break to prove the line strength so that could be balanced against "rated" numbers which may not have been actual. Basically it is just an unnecessary splice method that is complicated for no benefit in this application.

One can also make a strong case that an incorrect taper is worse than either splice since that stresses the fibers at the end of the buried tail.

I've seen quite a few tests where the Brummel did degrade overall breaking strength due to the stress risers at the loops. I've also seen tests that show 100% line strength. We don't have a line strength break to prove the line strength so that could be balanced against "rated" numbers which may not have been actual. Basically it is just an unnecessary splice method that is complicated for no benefit in this application.

One can also make a strong case that an incorrect taper is worse than either splice since that stresses the fibers at the end of the buried tail.

Good to know, thank you for the information.

Good to know, thank you for the information.
Do a buried tail of about 40 x the line diameter with a 4" long taper. Then tie off to a strong anchor point, tie off the rig to at least another vehicle and load the line heavily. That will lock the splice in so you have to pry it apart to get it out of the thimble. That gets you the tamper resistant feature of a lock stitch.

Last edited:
Do a buried tail of about 40 x the line diameter with a 4" long taper. Then tie off too a strong anchor point, tie off the rig to at least another vehicle and load the line heavily. That will lock the splice in so you have to pry it apart to get it out of the thimble. That gets you the tamper resistant feature of a lock stitch.

Cool, always interested in learning and doing something new and better.

I took @mrblaine 's advice and redid my winch thimble splice from a needlessly complicated Brummel splice to a simpler, stronger deep bury splice. If I missed any important details, please let me know. 🍻

Brummel splice sends the rope through loops made on the other side of the rope.

a79a034fdcc7a0b37187f5accd3bb992.jpg

Deep bury eliminates the loops and simply sends the line back through itself.

ABL-long-straightbury06.jpg

So I started over and redid my taper, and deep buried my splice on the thimble.

20200522_121406.jpg

I let out the winch line and tied off the thimble to another vehicle. Then I got a good tight stretch in the line as I pulled the Jeep up the driveway to lock in the splice.

20200522_120250.jpg

20200522_120237.jpg

Taper at the buried end is much smoother now too.

20200522_120231.jpg

20200522_121559.jpg

Now, I just wanna go out and try to get stuck. 🍻

Last edited:
Once you cut the line to bury it, do you need any special tool to keep the open end from unraveling? Do you just push the line in to expand it like a chinese finger torture device?

Once you cut the line to bury it, do you need any special tool to keep the open end from unraveling? Do you just push the line in to expand it like a chinese finger torture device?

Yes, it's called a fid. You stick the end of the tapered line into it, and it acts like a threading needle to get the line exactly where you want it. I actually learned a lot in the last week about the whole process.

I've had winches before, but never with synthetic line or a safety thimble. Kind of fun learning actually.

Splicing_Fid_Detail.jpg

I took @mrblaine 's advice and redid my winch thimble splice from a needlessly complicated Brummel splice to a simpler, stronger deep bury splice. If I missed any important details, please let me know. 🍻

Brummel splice sends the rope through loops made on the other side of the rope.

View attachment 163717

Deep bury eliminates the loops and simply sends the line back through itself.

View attachment 163720

So I started over and redid my taper, and deep buried my splice on the thimble.

View attachment 163721

I let out the winch line and tied off the thimble to another vehicle. Then I got a good tight stretch in the line as I pulled the Jeep up the driveway to lock in the splice.

View attachment 163722
View attachment 163723

Taper at the buried end is much smoother now too.

View attachment 163728

View attachment 163725

Now, I just wanna go out and try to get stuck. 🍻
Looks good, did you check to see how "tamper resistant" it gets after load it?

Yes, it's called a fid. You stick the end of the tapered line into it, and it acts like a threading needle to get the line exactly where you want it. I actually learned a lot in the last week about the whole process.

I've had winches before, but never with synthetic line or a safety thimble. Kind of fun learning actually.

View attachment 163735
Yes, it is called a fid but there are many types that work as well as just taping the tail to one of the straight barrel style BIC pens. Ricky includes a plastic set with his stuff that works very well.

Yes, it is called a fid but there are many types that work as well as just taping the tail to one of the straight barrel style BIC pens. Ricky includes a plastic set with his stuff that works very well.

Yep, this is the one Ricky sent me. Works good.

20200522_171017.jpg