Durango alternator swap doesn't work on a 98 TJ?

Webejeepin

I guess because I have a 98 Jeep Wrangler this does not work. My A/C compressor is on Passenger side. The brackets are not even close to lining up and connections are different. All the info on Web says 97-06. Frustrating because I pulled one today at junk yard from 05 Durango 4.7L.

It should just work fine on your 98 TJ, as it can be done on any 97-06 Jeep Wrangler TJ.

See this thread:

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...o-alternator-into-your-jeep-wrangler-tj.3979/
That's one of these threads I read and got me wanting to do it since my alternator went out and needed replaced. But the pictures I now see where people have done it their AC compressor is on driver's side of Jeep. Mines on passenger and I have now seen where other people have my same issue. I believe 00-06 AC is on driver side. The Alternator off 05 Durango I got is totally wrong along with electrical pin. I guess not everything on the web is correct lol.

That's one of these threads I read and got me wanting to do it since my alternator went out and needed replaced. But the pictures I now see where people have done it their AC compressor is on driver's side of Jeep. Mines on passenger and I have now seen where other people have my same issue. I believe 00-06 AC is on driver side. The Alternator off 05 Durango I got is totally wrong along with electrical pin. I guess not everything on the web is correct lol.

In all honesty I haven’t looked under the hood of a 98 TJ so I’m not 100% aware of the differences. However, I know for sure I have heard of people putting the Durango alternators on earlier model TJs, so it’s got to be possible, I just don’t know how.

Hopefully someone here who has done it will chime in.

I did it on my wifes 98 with a 4.0, you have to swap the plastic cover over for the primary wire from the original alternator. The mounts are the same but the alternator body is physically larger. Tim

Im like 99% sure it wont work on my early 1999 TJ. I havent actually tried to put on one and Im 3 hours from my jeep but from what I remember the mounting brackets on mine are completely different. I know there are a few other things that are exclusive to Early 99 models and maybe if yours is late 98 then it may be equipped the same. My build date is late 98 according to the VIN sticker.