Duratracs seem almost perfect...

Jeff Allan

TJ Enthusiast
I've been trying to find some new tires for moab rims. I want an aggressive looking, C load tire. My Rubi had MTR in E load, but was hoping to go with a lighter tire, for ride, power, and improve mpg while still having a good look. The Duratrac is nearly perfect, except for so many weak sidewall reports. Even in E load guys say they get punctures easily. They look great, and are quite a bit lighter than what I've got. I'd like to go with these, but this sidewall thing is a concern.

Looking for suggestions/advice/experience. Maybe it's not as bad as I'm making it out to be. I read tons of great reviews and then come across that one negative one, that makes me change my mind and go to plan B...KO2 but have to get in E load.

Any other tires out there in a C load, 245 or 265X16" size? These moabs look cool but make it hard to find tires.

Reactions: Chris
Duratracs are in my opinion the best all around tire you can get for our rigs. I personally haven't experienced any issues with my Duratracs sidewalls, but I have heard of them. This is why I purchased the extra warranty on my Duratracs for $10 per tire that covers any sidewall damage and what not.

A mud terrain tire would have a much more durable sidewall, but then the issue becomes one of weight and the fact that a mud terrain sucks in the snow and won't be ideal if you live in a place where it rains a lot.

I am looking forward to what others will say in response about their experience with Duratrac sidewalls. I haven't managed to damage one yet.

Thanks Chris. I have read a lot of good on these Authority's http://www.walmart.com/ip/Goodyear-Wrangler-Authority-Tire-LT245-75R16/11983159 They are made for Walmart, but even an E load 265 will be 3 lb.s/tire lighter than the MTRs 245 are. So I'm getting a bigger tire, and lighter, that's better in snow/ice (which I why I hated the MTR). It looks to be almost a duratrac copy, probably not a 3 ply side but still an E load for some added strength.

Too good to be true? Only thing is it might rub a bit. I'd love the stock look but not opposed to going a hair bigger. These tires as well as duratracs have the most selection for the moabs for me. Lots of good reviews on both.

I worry about anything "made for WalMart". Walmart says give us your best price, We want to buy a shipload of them. Then when you give them your rock bottom best price they say we want them but will only pay... $10.00 less than your best price.... As a manufacturer you really want that order so you go figure out where to save $10.00.... and what was steel becomes plastic. what used to weigh 56# now weighs 49#. Even the most reputable manufacturer ends up building an inferior product to get the order. Which might save you a few bucks.... until something fails.

Check the product code. You will find even tho the product looks identical to what everyone else sells for $10.00 more... The product code is different... because the product has been changed.

Back on topic,,, DTs and KOs are both excellent tires.

Reactions: Jeff Allan
I worry about anything "made for WalMart". Walmart says give us your best price, We want to buy a shipload of them. Then when you give them your rock bottom best price they say we want them but will only pay... $10.00 less than your best price.... As a manufacturer you really want that order so you go figure out where to save $10.00.... and what was steel becomes plastic. what used to weigh 56# now weighs 49#. Even the most reputable manufacturer ends up building an inferior product to get the order. Which might save you a few bucks.... until something fails.

Check the product code. You will find even tho the product looks identical to what everyone else sells for $10.00 more... The product code is different... because the product has been changed.

Back on topic,,, DTs and KOs are both excellent tires.

Good points. I rarely buy tires as I don't do a lot of miles, so not trying to save a few bucks. If I could have my cake and eat it, I'd want a C load, 3 ply sidewall with aggressive look. It doesn't exist, at least for the moab wheel....

I even found out that for the KO2's, 3 ply side only come in E load. Looks like I'm stuck with an E no matter what.

@Jeff Allan, what kind of stuff do you use the Jeep for? Mud, snow, rocks?

What percentage would you say it is daily driver and what percentage offroad rig?

Knowing that alone will help to determine what kind of tire you need.

For my, my Rubicon is 85% daily driver and 15% offroad. That being said, the Duratrac is my perfect tire. It does well in the rain (it rains a crap ton here, snow, and mud. It doesn't do bad on the rocks at all, I just play it carefully when I go in the rocks to be safe.

However, I've got the extra warranty on my tires so I could give a shit less if I pop all 4 of them since I'll get new ones for free, no questions asked.

Chris, it's really about that, wooded paths for shortcuts to work (ha), I could see getting a puncture over time, lots of sticks, glass... I just don't like the hassle of a flat, who does(!). Warranty or not. Never had to worry with my MTRs but they stunk in winter. I want something that's got good traction for the slushly, icy slop and have a really tough tire. Not even for off road, but the thing is, so much road construction around here. Last week, hit a a pipe sticking straight out of the ground, and was sure I was gonna have a flat, but the old MTRs stayed solid. I want that security knowing the tire can hold up to rough stuff. These from the other thread here look interesting too. E rated but I read it's 3 ply sides. http://www.kauffmantire.com/prodimg/fierce-attitude-mt-group-large.png

Last edited:
Those look interesting Jeff. My only issue is that I'm skeptical of anything tire related that isn't a tried and tested brand name.

If I were in your shoes and I was worried about a puncture I would probably just suck it up and get some good MTs like the Cooper Discoverer STT (hands down my favorite MT).

If you're down on power, just do what I did and slap a supercharger on! Big tires or not, the supercharger will make up for it and then some!

Those look interesting Jeff. My only issue is that I'm skeptical of anything tire related that isn't a tried and tested brand name.

If I were in your shoes and I was worried about a puncture I would probably just suck it up and get some good MTs like the Cooper Discoverer STT (hands down my favorite MT).

If you're down on power, just do what I did and slap a supercharger on! Big tires or not, the supercharger will make up for it and then some!

I hear ya. Also really interested in these, http://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-12-bighorn-mt-762#sizes they seem popular with jeepers and …are available in 265/75/16 C load. Actual size is listed at 31.8" X 10.8" what do you think, might rub a bit, but I've heard lots of guys running 265's on stock suspension TJs. It actually might just be the one!!! The one negative, guys say they wear fast, only getting 40K or so. But for me, that's an issue.

Was going with stock 245 size, but that only comes in a 10 ply rating. Great reviews saying it's tough and great on ice/snow. Looks good.

Last edited:
And,,, I don't think those longhorns are short on looks..
DSC_4275.jpg

I hear ya. Also really interested in these, http://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-12-bighorn-mt-762#sizes they seem popular with jeepers and …are available in 265/75/16 C load. Actual size is listed at 31.8" X 10.8" what do you think, might rub a bit, but I've heard lots of guys running 265's on stock suspension TJs. It actually might just be the one!!! The one negative, guys say they wear fast, only getting 40K or so. But for me, that's an issue.

Was going with stock 245 size, but that only comes in a 10 ply rating. Great reviews saying it's tough and great on ice/snow. Looks good.

I know a local guy who runs those and he likes them, so yeah, that could be the one!

Also, my Duratracs are supposed to last around 40k miles so that's really not that bad.

I mean in all honesty 40k miles should take me 6 years so if I can get 6 years out of a set of tires I think I'm doing just fine.

I know a local guy who runs those and he likes them, so yeah, that could be the one!

Also, my Duratracs are supposed to last around 40k miles so that's really not that bad.

I mean in all honesty 40k miles should take me 6 years so if I can get 6 years out of a set of tires I think I'm doing just fine.

Me too, the stock MTRs from '06 have 24K and they are pretty much gone. So, 40K would be fine with me. Have you seen this? http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT-Tires/Goodyear-Fierce-Attitude-MT.htm Fierce Attitude and the Bighorns got about the highest marks out of all these tires. Also the MT/R was rated well. But my MTRs were bad in winter. I wish they had the Duras in that list.

Me too, the stock MTRs from '06 have 24K and they are pretty much gone. So, 40K would be fine with me. Have you seen this? http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT-Tires/Goodyear-Fierce-Attitude-MT.htm Fierce Attitude and the Bighorns got about the highest marks out of all these tires. Also the MT/R was rated well. But my MTRs were bad in winter. I wish they had the Duras in that list.

Those look like great tires with high marks. What's keeping you from just buying a mud terrain tire like this versus the Duratrac?

Those look like great tires with high marks. What's keeping you from just buying a mud terrain tire like this versus the Duratrac?

Just found out about the Fierce Att. tire. I like that it's sort've like a Duratrac how it's in between an AT and a MT, made by Goodyear too. Like a MT with siping. What really had me was reading about a guy who put duras on his rubicon and posted that it drove better and he was getting much better performance compared to the MTRs. The Duratrac is still in the running, but it got me searching for an aggressive tire in a C load range.

The Fierce Att. is in the running, but it comes in E, and I read conflicting things on if it's a 3 ply sidewall. I've considered buying new rims n 15" but that'd be a whole lot of $. besides, I don't like any more than the moabs : )

Last edited:
The Duratracs will be better for gas mileage and performance, that's for sure. They aren't nearly as heavy as an MT tire. I think ultimately you're just going to have to buy a set of tires, run them, and see how you like them.

I went with the Duratracs because all of the Wrangler guys who run them have nothing but praise for them.

I haven't heard of anyone personally running those Fierce Att tires but it might be worth a try!

I have Duratracs (after some mud terrains that were on the car formerly) and I can attest to how great these tires are.

I wouldn't run them if I was doing serious rock crawling, but I go off road in all sorts of conditions and they do great!

I'm sold on the Duratrac, I'm really happy to be hearing these reports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trust me, you'll LOVE them. The Duratrac is hands down the best all around tire.

You'll never find a tire that is perfect in mud, sand, snow and rain, but the Duratrac is about as close as you can get.

As I've said before, a true Mud Terrain really isn't a great tire if you drive a lot on the street or in areas where it rains or snows a lot. The Duratrac is good in just about anything except the most extreme off-roading. In addition to that, I love them because they look like a Mud Terrain tire with the aggressive tread pattern.

The look is awesome I found a picture of the Duratrac in the size I want on a TJ that's the same color as mine and has the same wheel that I do and I fell in love
542032cb868cb828022d766ae10193ce.jpg
2da7f40e6f200411e84f6c3d9bfc7523.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, those tires look awesome on the Wrangler. If you didn't know they were an AT tire you'd think they were an MT by the look of them.