Dutch John at URE

CasterTroy

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Short video my son made (forgive the vertical video....he lives on his phone) from the passenger seat while we were going up the hill climb on dutch John saturday. It's a lot steeper than the video seems to show. Fun for Jeeps, nightmare for blazers and larger vehicles unless your're OK with swiping the sides.

Reactions: Chris
bet it would get interesting if you added a little water.
A lot of guys swear off URE when it's dry "Too easy"

They wait till it's goose shit (southern red clay + water = an experience you west coasters have never had the pleasure of attempting) and go play.

That hill has denied many a dual locked Jeep in the wet!

A lot of guys swear off URE when it's dry "Too easy"

They wait till it's goose shit (southern red clay + water = an experience you west coasters have never had the pleasure of attempting) and go play.
That hill has denied many a dual locked Jeep in the wet!

We call it Hook Dirt when its dry and Impossible when its wet in TN. There is a park in Sparta TN called Golden Mountain that has some of the best rock crawlin in the south when its dry and you just stay at the house when its wet, only good thing is you won't break much in the wet because it wont hook on nothing.

Jason

Jason

Reactions: CasterTroy
Hey, that's one nice looking Bronco!
Thanks...built it to take to URE every weekend. Had young kids...the BOY loved it but I had a newborn girl, and a job that kept me so busy I never had a chance to wheel, so I sold it. But man...I had it built right!
Detroits
Warn
Sliders
tube bumpers
And where it had occasional cancer, I decided to be creative and weld up the holes, then instead of expensive paint, use Durabak bed liner in white and use a more creative method of covering the spots
I hated selling it....but....it was what I needed to do. Now, the boys in college and my girls in High school, so I've got free time ;)

Thanks...built it to take to URE every weekend. Had young kids...the BOY loved it but I had a newborn girl, and a job that kept me so busy I never had a chance to wheel, so I sold it. But man...I had it built right!
Detroits
Warn
Sliders
tube bumpers
And where it had occasional cancer, I decided to be creative and weld up the holes, then instead of expensive paint, use Durabak bed liner in white and use a more creative method of covering the spots
I hated selling it....but....it was what I needed to do. Now, the boys in college and my girls in High school, so I've got free time ;)

Welcome to my world. We've got a 3 year old daughter and another daughter on the way. I rarely have time to wheel as much as I'd like to anymore, but I refuse to sell the TJ because I've put so much money into it that it would be foolish. In addition to that my daughter absolutely loves riding in it (especially with the top and doors off) so I just figure once the kids are in school I'll be able to wheel it even more like I used to before I had them.

Kids do that to you... :D

Reactions: CasterTroy
Yup.

Use to pull 3 stints at deals gap very year....clockwork. Then one friday I'm loading up for a trip and I JUST got everything loaded. I'm the admin of TLplanet.com and EXPECTED to be there for the TLR rally....the boy (4yrs old at this point) looks up at me in his PJs and says "Daddy please don't leave"

Yeah I didn't go...and cut it back to once a year after that.

Now I'm too old to be draggin a knee at a buck-twenty five around the Cherohola skyway LOL but I NOW have the time

We call it Hook Dirt when its dry and Impossible when its wet in TN. There is a park in Sparta TN called Golden Mountain that has some of the best rock crawlin in the south when its dry and you just stay at the house when its wet, only good thing is you won't break much in the wet because it wont hook on nothing.

We're gonna be in TN a few times this year:

February 13th Daniel Boone, Slade, KY
March 12th Windrock, Oliver Springs, TN
April 9th Adventure Off Road Park, Chattanooga, TN

August 13th Black Mountain OHV park, Evarts KY (Harlan)
September 23th Dixie Run, Sparta, TN

I've been to Windrock in my Razor and my old tube buggy several times, its probably the best all-around place in TN to ride IMO. Golden Mountain is where Dixie Run is held and is probably geared more for the extreme rock crawlers but there are plenty of trails for someone locked on both ends on 33s or better (unless its wet). Dixie Run is a great event for the whole family and is pretty spectator friendly for watching the rock races and Bounty hills.

Jason

Oh the joy... I'm sure west coasters have an equivalent.

I really have no frame of reference personally. But in watching the west coast crawlers experience a WET TN, Nc, and GA on the 2015 ultimate offroad experience with petersons offroad magazine (snippets released of the DVD a few weeks,ago) it was clear they had never seen anything as frustrating as wet red clay.
Personally I HATE mud!!!

Born on the wrong coast