E-Autogrilles Off Road Taillight Guard question

Tony Mig

I purchased a pair of these for our 99' TJ. I have no issues unbolting and unplugging the taillights however as many of you know putting those cages on increases the depth of the taillight and the 3 triangular screws will not re-thread as they are too short.

1. Anyone else have this issues?
2. What size bolt did you use, I cannot match it.
3. It looks like a #12 tapered bolt and I'd need a 1 inch but those I tried wouldn't fit they got tight to quick.

Thanks as always for any suggestions...

Tony

I purchased a pair of these for our 99' TJ. I have no issues unbolting and unplugging the taillights however as many of you know putting those cages on increases the depth of the taillight and the 3 triangular screws will not re-thread as they are too short.

1. Anyone else have this issues?
2. What size bolt did you use, I cannot match it.
3. It looks like a #12 tapered bolt and I'd need a 1 inch but those I tried wouldn't fit they got tight to quick.

Thanks as always for any suggestions...

Tony
Didn't they include longer screws ? [emoji46]..i would take one to hardware store and get same thread just longer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

The PO of my jeep had some chrome version of those things on when I bought the Jeep. I thought they might not make too bad of a bbq grill in an emergency, but I don't see how they could be useful otherwise. More likely to dent your tub if you hit something with them. If you like them just for the look, by all means go for it. I'd be a bit afraid if they ever were used for their intended purpose they may cause more harm than good though.

The PO of my jeep had some chrome version of those things on when I bought the Jeep. I thought they might not make too bad of a bbq grill in an emergency, but I don't see how they could be useful otherwise. More likely to dent your tub if you hit something with them. If you like them just for the look, by all means go for it. I'd be a bit afraid if they ever were used for their intended purpose they may cause more harm than good though.

Trust me I get it, It is my 17 yr old sons jeep so that should explain it. They sure do look cool though. If he or someone hits him there, they will fold it regardless, but it will still look cool!!!;)

Didn't they include longer screws ? [emoji46]..i would take one to hardware store and get same thread just longer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

That was what we did. We kept 1 of the 3 out and went to stores. A local small hardware store, Home Depot, O'Reilly's and Advance Auto. NONE had a bolt that looked like it would fit. We were even able to take one out of the package from A.A and test it and it started to go in then was REALLY tight so we stopped. That's why I'm inquiring.
Thanks...

UPDATE - I ended up going to Fastenal here and found a 12x24 3/4 inch Phillips head bolt with a "spiked" type of lock washer. It fit excellent and replaced all 6 bolts and they are awesome. Thanks to those who tried to assist. If anyone needs this information I can attach pics of the bags for the bolts and spiked lock washers for reference.

Thanks, Tony