Colorado Eagle Rock Saran Wrap Sat Sept 14th

It was a late night after a bus blocked the way out.

20190914_183508.jpg

20190914_183550.jpg

20190914_200521.jpg

20190914_201017.jpg

What on earth was the driver thinking? I saw Mike post the wedding party but didn't realize it was stuck

What on earth was the driver thinking? I saw Mike post the wedding party but didn't realize it was stuck

The boss said to take these people up the mountain. There were two buses. One made it.

A neat thing about the bus was that it had lockers. But it only had slick steering tires on the rear, so no traction. However, it did have auto tire chains, but the driver refused to use them because he did want to drag the side of the bus along the rocks.

I think that same bus company does Denver -> the mountains for my school's annual ski trip in December. Wonder what that tow bill was...

I think that same bus company does Denver -> the mountains for my school's annual ski trip in December. Wonder what that tow bill was...

It was an expensive day. Two loaded buses stuck on a mountain road late into the night. And an unhappy client who ended up with a far more interesting and memorable wedding than they ever intended.

I thought it was a really great day!

Reactions: strumble8
Did the bus ever rub the rock face or did the driver stop before any damage? I thought in the day pic it looked close, but the night one looks to have a little more space.

Did the bus ever rub the rock face or did the driver stop before any damage? I thought in the day pic it looked close, but the night one looks to have a little more space.
In our pics of the bus in daylight, a rock outcropping broke out two windows. The night shot is when the tow truck was winching the bus sideways.

The driver took the turn too tight, the inside rear slipped sideways into the rutted ditch along the rock wall. It was driver error, but the bus probably shouldn't have been there in the first place. At least, not without a more experienced driver and a slightly better equipped bus.

In our pics of the bus in daylight, a rock outcropping broke out two windows. The night shot is when the tow truck was winching the bus sideways.

The driver took the turn too tight, the inside rear slipped sideways into the rutted ditch along the rock wall. It was driver error, but the bus probably shouldn't have been there in the first place. At least, not without a more experienced driver and a slightly better equipped bus.

That’ll be a good story for a long time, definitely looks like it shouldn’t have happened for all the reasons you mentioned.

That’ll be a good story for a long time, definitely looks like it shouldn’t have happened for all the reasons you mentioned.

At my last job, we often drove big box trucks on much more difficult roads than Gold Camp. Thankfully, we never caught a rock. But I was often nervous watching my guys taking corners tighter than I think I would have. The fear of swinging too wide off the cliff is certainly justified, but the opposite has its perils.

Reactions: rasband
Great time yesterday! Sorry you missed it. 2-1/2 hours fixing one of the guys track bar and then on the way down gold camp road we came upon a bus that was impaled on the rocks on the side of the road. We sat there from about 4:30 until 8, before they got a tow truck up there to pull him off the rocks. Then the guy had to back down the road in the dark. We didn’t get home until 10:30 and I live hear. I don’t know how long it took everyone else to get home. Especially Shawn! It was quite the adventure! 😁

1C03AAF1-D657-4BB3-A4EA-59EF9E5B4488.jpeg

CE8D61EA-804A-4D2A-89DC-F45633E7259F.jpeg

76DA4BD2-F2C4-4567-856C-7C52C755F1FB.jpeg

688AC200-50EA-4370-B11C-062E17E7059A.jpeg

7D512E5E-A199-475A-A8B8-CF5CEE6D1B3A.jpeg

3C63D6AF-C2B9-4EBE-A22F-2E411AF55B17.jpeg

AAD9248C-77A1-4026-A09A-6F64359D767E.jpeg

7A102112-D3D1-43D0-8268-45214DA8014A.jpeg

Reactions: tworley
After we scattered from the Home Depot parking lot, several of us waited a long time again at the McDonald's drive thru. Lots of waiting! :)

Reactions: strumble8
Fun day and I didn’t break!
After we scattered from the Home Depot parking lot, several of us waited a long time again at the McDonald's drive thru. Lots of waiting! :)
You are not kidding! Stephanie and I stopped at a Taco place by our house and it was nothing but a line and much more waiting. I looked across the street and their was a line at Taco Bell, McDonalds and Burger King. I guess 10:00 is the time for people to eat around here on a Saturday night.

Reactions: tworley