Easiest fan clutch removal ever

Lilnuts

TJ Enthusiast
We have all searched the "net" to find tips on various procedures on how to do things. So many are a waste of time. When you do find one that works, I think it's worth sharing. I had my drivers side motor mount mount bolts shear off. The motor dropped an 2-1/2" on the drivers side and the fan ate the shroud. Got the bolts out and mount fixed.

I had to take the fan clutch off to replace the shroud. All the info I found said I needed a fan clutch holding tool. Of course I don't have one. I ran across this vid using no special tools and it worked like a charm. I used a 15" crescent and a 2lb hammer. 3 taps on the END of the wrench and done, awesome. I hope this helps somebody down the road.

My '87 F-250 had a similar setup for the fan clutch, but somewhat larger as I recall. I was able to borrow a special kind of wrench from the chief engineer on a ship who threatened my very life if I didn't return his tool to him 1st thing Monday morning! I don't know what this tool was called, it was sort of like a pair of channel locks but it had jaws shaped to fit that huge nut perfectly. Worked like a champ, and you bet the chief had his wrench back at 0700 Monday! I had to do some slick talking to get him to loan me the thing in the first place!

Reactions: Blondie70
If you don't want to carry a big wrench that fits that pulley you could get one of these.

pwb-36.jpg

Park Tool TWB-36, it's a high quality bike tool but only costs about $20. Not a bad addition to any trail toolbox.

If you cant get it broke loose you can use a ratchet strap as a holding tool. Pull the strap out of the ratcheting mechanism and wind it around the pulley, attach the hook end to a bracket or bolt to hold the fan pulley. I used this trick a few times with great success.

Reactions: Blondie70
I came across this and tried this last time I removed the fan, but no dice for me. I went to Oreilys and borrowed the tool.

I tried this method yesterday as well, but unfortunately it didn’t work for me. I used a rubber strap wrench on the pulley and a big crescent wrench. Came off easily.

I wound up using a large vice-grips and 3lb hammer when removing the fan clutch on my 6.0 when swapping to E-fans. Worked pretty slick.

A big adjustable wrench on the fan nut and a 3lb hammer hitting the wrench handle works really well.

Reactions: D M
Great idea, but I wonder if doing this can break the water pump or cause it's seal to leak. Granted, if you are doing this to replace the pump, it doesn't matter.

Easiest ever, two quick pulls of the rigger

92037_I.jpg

What do you suppose is the downside if my clutch spins all the time, seemingly equal to engine RPM? I'm trouble shooting a very subtle and minor problem with my cooling system, and can never get the fan to spin except if the engine or my hand are propelling it. That is, it stops the instant I stop pushing it.