Easiest location to tap into the reverse light wire

Rescue6

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Anyone know where the easiest place is to access the reverse light wire is. Other than crawling underneath to the harness. I’m installing a double din touchscreen and need to wire in the reverse light switch to activate my reverse camera.
Thanks. It’s a 1999 sport if it makes any difference.

I just last month added some aux reverse lights and needed somewhere in the cab to trigger my relay. I removed the cover under the driver's door sill and found it in that harness. I forget the color but I'm sure someone has access to the diagrams. I mounted my relay under the dash and ran a wire down along the harness to under the door. I chose to tap into it there just for ease of working space.

That’s a really good point. Even if it’s in use for the mirror, you could still splice in there as long you have the plug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tapped into the harness under the dash on the drivers side, where the wire bundle runs to the rear. Mine is used to trigger the aux reverse lights via a relay and switch.

The wire loom doesn't run under the tub to the rear, it runs under the drivers door frame , up the sport bar and along the tub under the drivers side rear side window, It's right there at the left rear corner where the sport bar bolts to the tub.

The wire loom doesn't run under the tub to the rear, it runs under the drivers door frame , up the sport bar and along the tub under the drivers side rear side window, It's right there at the left rear corner where the sport bar bolts to the tub.
Slight clarification- the wire loom for the hard top, speakers, and tail lights doesn't run under the tub. There is a harness for the trans, speed sensor, and fuel pump that does run under the tub to the rear.

Reactions: GEEP4ME
So, does anyone know for sure the wire color(s)? Shouldn't there also be one coming from the shifter console forward toward the dash? That would be the easiest place if you are installing a radio as it is right below. Still needing help if anybody knows for sure.

So, does anyone know for sure the wire color(s)? Shouldn't there also be one coming from the shifter console forward toward the dash? That would be the easiest place if you are installing a radio as it is right below. Still needing help if anybody knows for sure.
You can confirm the color by looking up the wiring diagrams in your year FSM:

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...ice-manuals-fsm-technical-documentation.4618/
I recommend opening it on a tablet or laptop; it’s a large file.

Simply scroll down to the electrical section, and there’s wiring diagrams for every system in the car. It’ll tell you all the colors, sizes, splices, connectors, etc for every wire in the Jeep.

Reactions: qslim
As most car video cables not only have the RCA jack for the video, but also have a small single wire as a trip wire, I decided to tap in to the rear reverse lights at the harness. The wire there for my Jeep was white / green stripe. I added an extra wire clip in case I want to do extra reverse lights later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone else go to this much trouble for their reverse lights? A single switch that can 1) turn lights on for extra lighting, 2) come on automatically with reverse for trails, and 3) be turned off completely for parking lots.

Anyone else go to this much trouble for their reverse lights? A single switch that can 1) turn lights on for extra lighting, 2) come on automatically with reverse for trails, and 3) be turned off completely for parking lots.

I've done it on past vehicles. I'm about halfway through doing it on my LJ. Super convenient.

Here's one along these lines . If you lose the black mudguard at the tub under the turn signal wires behind each wheel , a black plastic household trash can is great to make one out of . Just throwing this in , as those break.

Brown and purple was the wire on my 03 I think.