East coast vs West coast wheeling

I don't think it matters. So long as nobody throws too big a turd at anyone else. Then Chris won't need to take the killdozer to this one.....

The distinction between E vs W suspension travel gets tossed around quite often. It's easy to explain in favor of building up travel and it's value across the board. We don't often see similar for the opposite. And then a couple days ago we get told the opposite of the common rhetoric, which was quite interesting.

Last edited:
What were your mod plans for 37"+? Your axle contacting the gas tank is resolvable several ways. I'm sure you know that already. Are these fellow wheelers on 40's other Tj's? Or larger longer rigs?

Yeah, I'm not too concerned with the gas skid, I've seen a genright tank for sale for stretched wheelbase that would solve the problem but I always wonder how much more those hang down versus stock.

The other jeeps are TJ or older, heavily modified. I just noticed last time offroad that my jeep was taller than his jeep even with his 40+ inch tires. I haven't talked to him a ton about his build but I know he goes all the time and he's very experienced. He cut it in half a while ago to stretch the wheelbase.
He's one of the guys that doesn't mind me tagging along even though my tires are smaller but the others always ask if I have lockers lol.

Reactions: John Cooper
I also wonder, lets assume that the ideal build and geometry is set to be exactly the same for everyone. I usually like to optimize my projects or the things I purchase but there is diminished returns that usually keeps me from purchasing the ideal product. I always wonder with these builds that I could spend 20k to get the perfect build but 5 or 10k would get me to 90% of that ideal goal. I'm sure this is nearly impossible to quantify with so many moving parts and build designs but it's something that's always in the back of my mind.

Reactions: Brianj5600
I'd say that generally a well balance rig will do fairly well just about anywhere and following the principals of "well balanced" will pay off everywhere.

Though there's some things you'd change like tires, want more HP, and probably need stronger axles to allow for tire speed in the mud.

Yeah, I'm not too concerned with the gas skid, I've seen a genright tank for sale for stretched wheelbase that would solve the problem but I always wonder how much more those hang down versus stock.

The genright stretch tanks make for more ground clearance if used in the stock locations, it’s usually an inch added ground clearance

The other jeeps are TJ or older, heavily modified. I just noticed last time offroad that my jeep was taller than his jeep even with his 40+ inch tires. I haven't talked to him a ton about his build but I know he goes all the time and he's very experienced. He cut it in half a while ago to stretch the wheelbase.
He's one of the guys that doesn't mind me tagging along even though my tires are smaller but the others always ask if I have lockers lol.

West Coast Sand Hollow, West Coast JV, West Coast PNW which is east coast on the West Coast, East Coast Bounty Hills, or what?

You can build a rig specific to a locale and it won't do so well all around.

West Coast Sand Hollow, West Coast JV, West Coast PNW which is east coast on the West Coast, East Coast Bounty Hills, or what?

You can build a rig specific to a locale and it won't do so well all around.

Yeah, I'd rather have a jack of all trades and not a master of one. Excluding high speed. I don't plan on competing or anything like that. It's funny you said PNW because I thought that as well (isn't that more like the spots I go around here versus JV)

Yeah, I'd rather have a jack of all trades and not a master of one. Excluding high speed. I don't plan on competing or anything like that. It's funny you said PNW because I thought that as well (isn't that more like the spots I go around here versus JV)

Does High Speed include commuting or driving to trails? 25 mph all the time because of washboard roads or whoops really stinks!

Does High Speed include commuting or driving to trails? 25 mph all the time because of washboard roads or whoops really stinks!

This isn't my daily so I don't need it to go 70. I can right now but future plans won't be limited because I want to drive on the interstate. I try to trailer it if possible.

What and where are you excluding high speed? High speed is very subjective.

As stated, a well balanced TJ will perform well just about anywhere but it may not be optimum for certain types of wheeling (hill climbing, Mud, rutted out clay trails, etc...).

Even if you typically trailer your jeep to parks, don't discount the ability to be able to move at a higher speed (40 mph) along dirt/sand/gravel roads. It makes for a long day when you do go somewhere where you have to get from one side of the mountain/desert to the other and you can only go 25 MPH. When we finished Pritchett's Canyon in Moab, we still had like 20 miles of dirt road to get across to get back to pavement, the dirt road was way worse than the trail!

I love rock garden, rocky ravines, and creek bed type trails. These trails are tight, technical and will result in some body damage. It is also about picking a good line and knowing where your front and rear diff is located. Also, being able to get the front tire to the rock in lieu rock making contact with bumper or fender helps tremendously. So if you want to run these types of trails make sure you have ground clearance all around and that you have body protection (I failed in that category). The mud in the east, southeast also requires you to have tires that work in mud, which may or may not also perform great on rocks (i.e. stickies don't work that great in mud, but work great on rocks).

I am also going to Moab next year and Moab is pretty much wide open (as compared to east coast, yes there is some tight spots and large drop offs but I wouldn't say tight). Moab also has large steps and the break over angle to get over these steps is critical. If you get more extreme, not only breakover angle but also approach and departure angles. So I need to consider that for my jeep since that is what I want to do. As stated above, I need to be able to move from one trail to the other, so I need to be able to run dirt/gravel/sand roads.

I also do 1 or 2 overlanding type trips every year usually in the winter, and these trips are usually 90% trail and there will be mud and chance of snow. So my rig also needs to be able to handle that while also hauling gear. Ability to install top and doors and working heat is a plus!

Never been there, but I imagine that Johnson Valley is a good proven ground because you have to be able to run the desert at higher speed to be able to get to and from trails/camp, there are rock gardens, steps, dusty rocks, and steep climbs. So it captures pretty much everything except maybe mud and trees!

Hopefully a few of us will make a trip down to Hawk Pride this fall, keep an eye open and come down and join us!

This isn't my daily so I don't need it to go 70. I can right now but future plans won't be limited because I want to drive on the interstate. I try to trailer it if possible.

Interstates don't have whoops or washboard...Dirt roads do. I don't know about Tennessee, but here in Michigan, there are a fair number of public land trails and dirt road connectors. Nothing very technical, but you don't want a rig that can't drive 45 or so on dirt road without shaking your molars out. Or one that can't react fast enough to washboard and the rear end is stepping out on you all the time.

Hopefully a few of us will make a trip down to Hawk Pride this fall, keep an eye open and come down and join us!

Hawk pride was my first offroad experience when I bought this jeep. A group around here is going tomorrow but I couldn't make it. I still need to go to windrock with this jeep and back to hawk pride. A local Nashville group likes to go to blue holler pretty often and that's a good park for 35" tires and most of those jeeps are JKs on 35s.

Interstates don't have whoops or washboard...Dirt roads do. I don't know about Tennessee, but here in Michigan, there are a fair number of public land trails and dirt road connectors. Nothing very technical, but you don't want a rig that can't drive 45 or so on dirt road without shaking your molars out. Or one that can't react fast enough to washboard and the rear end is stepping out on you all the time.

Being able to blast through the whoops and dips at 30-50mph is a tremendous amount of fun.

Reactions: bucky and Mike_H

Driving under 70 from one side of Moab to the other would be a long process. What if you could have a rig that could go 70 but still have no cons in other areas?

I agree with this:

It makes for a long day when you do go somewhere where you have to get from one side of the mountain/desert to the other and you can only go 25 MPH.

Reactions: pc1p and jjvw
Hawk pride was my first offroad experience when I bought this jeep. A group around here is going tomorrow but I couldn't make it. I still need to go to windrock with this jeep and back to hawk pride. A local Nashville group likes to go to blue holler pretty often and that's a good park for 35" tires and most of those jeeps are JKs on 35s.

Brokefoot(middle and upper), back door, Merlin, Goose, Maverick, timber rattler, diamondback, Fatty's crack, these are the type of trails that I like!

And I have been driving my jeep to work at 70mph all this week since this is the best weather we have had since last fall!

Public vs. Private land is a big difference between East Coast and West Coast wheelin', and it touches a bit on your point Mike.

Out here these days, with few exceptions just about all wheelin' is confined to private off road parks. In my area they tend to be in the + or - 1000 acre size, so you can get by without haulin' ass to traverse the park. But, places like Tellico (god rest her soul) and Windrock are large by East Coast Standards (think 50-150,000 acres), and if you can't haul ass comfortably you are definitely into lengthy trips between obstacles. Places like Moab, Colorado and (I assume) JV - long treks are par for the course. For me, those long treks on the trail are what I enjoy most - but your rig does need to be able to suck them up to make it enjoyable.

That said, I think any decently built rig should be able to handle moderate speed on bumpy roads without requiring a subsequent trip the dentist...

I just don't drive my jeep that fast. I enjoy driving around town with the doors and top off and driving offroad with it. I'm not against the ability to do it I just don't plan on doing much of it.

I've gone 80 in this jeep no problem but I'm not as comfortable with it compared to a normal car or truck. I know this is going to sound stupid but part of the reason is I've worked on this jeep more than any other vehicle I've ever owned and in the back of my mind I'm thinking. I hope I didn't fuck something up and my tire is just going to fall off going 70 mph lol.

So then it sounds like you don't need to worry about how your Jeep rides at higher speeds. But if you get it riding good at slower speeds and offroad you'll probably end up with it good at high speeds regardless. Just don't give it so much skinny peddle. 😉

Reactions: RHanna and jjvw