East coast vs West coast wheeling

The same smooth application of power can be seen in the other video if you watch for it. There are no bad habits the rig exhibits. Bad habits show up just as easily at slow speed as they do at high speed.

The main oddity between those two is the green one is heavier.

Yes, it can. I mentioned the second video specifically because it’s much easier to see the effect of poor geometry with wheel spin. I guess more specifically, in a slow crawl like the video at sand hollow, if you don’t know what you’re looking for, it’s hard to know why it’s good.

I know some of you have seen this video before. But here's a video of this same suspension on a smaller tire size (back when these were still 35" tires 😉). The front locker pump died minutes before this climb. What bad habits are being covered up by larger tires and how do I fix them?

View attachment 363803

The video isn’t working. ..

Ok, back to the rookie view point.

I don’t see anything going wrong with any of the videos.

I can’t tell if the question being asked is “what do you see wrong?” As in there isn’t anything wrong or there is something that the uneducated guys can’t see.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low

I can’t tell if the question being asked is “what do you see wrong?” As in there isn’t anything wrong or there is something that the uneducated guys can’t see.

At that point it becomes obvious that a rig that does well crawling can also do well in low traction wheel spin type environments. Considering that the two rigs have nearly identical suspensions, steering, brakes, belly skids, and everything else practically except horsepower, what would you change to improve either one for where you see it working?

It depends on who the uneducated guys are, doesn't it? My question is directed at those who say they know what they're doing. In these videos, what are shortcomings you see or issues, or bad behavior, and how can the builds be made better?

That’s kinda the point, isn’t it? The original post was how would you build differently for different terrain (east coast vs west coast). The answer is to not. A well behaving suspension is well behaved no matter what terrain you’re on. There may be other differences (it sure would be nice to have more motor), but suspension setup is not one.

Reactions: JMT
It depends on who the uneducated guys are, doesn't it? My question is directed those who say they know what they're doing. In these videos, what are shortcomings you see or issues, or bad behavior, and how can the builds be made better?

Your video on the Marblehead Steps, I’m surprised you were lifting front tires.

Reactions: JMT
I know some of you have seen this video before. But here's a video of this same suspension on a smaller tire size (back when these were still 35" tires 😉). The front locker pump died minutes before this climb. What bad habits are being covered up by larger tires and how do I fix them?

View attachment 363803

View attachment 363806

The steps are so interesting...Last time I was there, I was about one jeep width closer to the camera that the line you took (basically avoided the big hole on the passenger side). Short arms and 33's drove up like you did. No drama, no fanfare. It was over before it really even started. Next time I'm there, I want to try the bigger hole and see what happens.

The steps are so interesting...Last time I was there, I was about one jeep width closer to the camera that the line you took (basically avoided the big hole on the passenger side). Short arms and 33's drove up like you did. No drama, no fanfare. It was over before it really even started. Next time I'm there, I want to try the bigger hole and see what happens.

I was completely unimpressed with the steps my buddy built them up like a big deal and they are nothing for a dual locked rig.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
I was completely unimpressed with the steps my buddy built them up like a big deal and they are nothing for a dual locked rig.

Yes and no. I’ve seen some big tire rigs struggle where Tox went up. I’ve struggled to find traction too

I actually think Mu’s Nemesis is a better obstacle

Yes and no. I’ve seen some big tire rigs struggle where Tox went up. I’ve struggled to find traction too

I actually think Mu’s Nemesis is a better obstacle

I’ve gone up where Tox did it was uneventful.