East coast vs West coast wheeling

Garrett's comparison above is yet another example of JV being used very incorrectly. There are lots of rigs that work in JV. What has happened over the years is we have frequently pointed out that if a part or product or way of doing things will survive a steady diet of being used in JV, then that should be paid attention to if you need something durable. That has been bastardized and perverted into a JV build philosophy as in something would work well out there and there really isn't such a thing. There are things you do to survive out there, armor, tolerable ground clearance, belly height versus wheelbase versus tire size balance, not too tall, not too low, and a solid effort made to pay attention to the hangy downy bits and not have them be so hangy downy.
I appreciate the feedback and will continue to read and learn!

… or I could go whine to Chris about how Blaine was mean to me 🤔 decisions decisions…

Same rig I've had to SMORR (MO), Crossbar, Clayton, Poteau, (OK), Hot Springs (AR), Sand Hollow, Moab, all of CO, all of NV, all of TX and several trips to Johnson Valley. It wasn't built to satisfy wheeling in any one place, but I will say, it does damn good everywhere I have taken it. Even on the highway at 80mph. I've had many buggies over the years, I would choose this LJ 1000 times over because I've taken it everywhere I took those "purpose built" rigs and still have all the abilities a buggy does not.

When you can get past the where and just focus on the right things on your own rig, it won't matter where you go. I've been places I never thought I'd wheel. But not once I showed up and felt handicapped because of my Jeep. Driver skill maybe, but not the Jeep.

View attachment 364162

View attachment 364163

View attachment 364164

I am interested in your build, but your profile is blocked. Can you share your set up? Do you have a build thread?

Reactions: Garza
I was thinking this morning about how wheel spin isn't always needed for an area but rather can be more related to driving style.

There was a sand play ground in Moab I was at with @jjvw and a few others. I was foot to the floor throwing sand everywhere. I get buried half way up doing an up hill turn and @jjvw comes crawling straight up past me going a couple of mph in low range and shouts over something like "I'm finding plenty of traction". We both were driving very similarly built Jeeps.

I went up and down that hill a few times. All but one was done very slowly. And a couple were done in 4low/1st gear at idle the entire way, just to show off. 🤣

Same rig I've had to SMORR (MO), Crossbar, Clayton, Poteau, (OK), Hot Springs (AR), Sand Hollow, Moab, all of CO, all of NV, all of TX and several trips to Johnson Valley. It wasn't built to satisfy wheeling in any one place, but I will say, it does damn good everywhere I have taken it. Even on the highway at 80mph. I've had many buggies over the years, I would choose this LJ 1000 times over because I've taken it everywhere I took those "purpose built" rigs and still have all the abilities a buggy does not.

When you can get past the where and just focus on the right things on your own rig, it won't matter where you go. I've been places I never thought I'd wheel. But not once I showed up and felt handicapped because of my Jeep. Driver skill maybe, but not the Jeep.

View attachment 364162

View attachment 364163

View attachment 364164

Really excellent videos and amongst the best of the best jeep builds I have seen anywhere. Thanks for sharing @Garza.

Reactions: Garza
The guy behind him on 40's is too wide so he has to put one side tires on one of the boulders and figure out how not to flop it getting down off of them.

I've experienced that following guys on full width one ton axles. I was worried about the upcoming obstacle only to not touch either side.

Then the opposite watching a group full of Jks go downhill over a v notch using every inch they had thinking to myself my axle isn't as wide and subsequently falling in towards the bottom.

I went up and down that hill a few times. All but one was done very slowly. And a couple were done in 4low/1st gear at idle the entire way, just to show off. 🤣

I've watched many videos of people struggling up that hill and some not able to make it. Low range was stupid easy and no effort.

There was a sand play ground in Moab I was at with @jjvw and a few others. I was foot to the floor throwing sand everywhere. I get buried half way up doing an up hill turn and @jjvw comes crawling straight up past me going a couple of mph in low range and shouts over something like "I'm finding plenty of traction". We both were driving very similarly built Jeeps.

Are you guys referring to this one? Very cool - but keeping to the topic, nothing like this in TN...

• USA Proud
Reactions: jjvw and Apparition

View attachment 364162

View attachment 364163

View attachment 364164

Are those 42's? Really nice Jeep.

View attachment 364162

View attachment 364163

View attachment 364164

There's also more than a fair amount of driver skill here. He know's the rig, where to put the tires, and how much, and when, throttle to apply. That's abundantly clear in all three videos!

There's also more than a fair amount of driver skill here. He know's the rig, where to put the tires, and how much, and when, throttle to apply. That's abundantly clear in all three videos!

I think that should say something about his build: that he's got skill and not itching to replace it.

Reactions: psrivats and Irun