East TN and looking for a TJ

Mrprez

Jeep Noob
Supporting Member
Hi all,

We have decided to add a Jeep TJ to the stable. I’ve been scouring eBay, Autotrader, and Craigslist for suitable candidates. Seems like these vehicles are very popular and don’t last long before they are snapped up. We’d like a Sport model with the 4.0 and manual transmission.

Our previous 4WD was a 2013 FJ which we liked and even drove the TAT with it a couple of years ago. That was a fun trip. I’d like to do it again in a Jeep! Took us 24 days to get to the Oregon coast from the start in NC.

Hopefully, we will find something soon...in the meantime, I am reading everything I can on this forum.

John

Maybe we should put @Starrs on the job for you, he seems to find the best ones, haha!

Seriously though, if you do find clean ones for the right price, they do sell rather quick. The trick is finding one with a clean (rust free) underside.

Keep us posted, and if you find something you want advice about, be sure to post up the vehicle in question in a new thread and the forum experts will be happy to chime in.

Maybe we should put @Starrs on the job for you, he seems to find the best ones, haha!

Seriously though, if you do find clean ones for the right price, they do sell rather quick. The trick is finding one with a clean (rust free) underside.

Keep us posted, and if you find something you want advice about, be sure to post up the vehicle in question in a new thread and the forum experts will be happy to chime in.
Lol

Should I put the new buying advice thread in the TJ General area?

John

Should I put the new buying advice thread in the TJ General area?

John

I would just start a new thread in the TJ General Discussion sub-forum. Usually they are titled something along the lines of “Looking for advice on potential TJ purchase”.

Nice specimen, but outside of our price range. Looking to keep things under 10k as this won’t be an everyday driver.

Did you see the TJ on eBay this morning listed for $1400? Lots of discrepancies in the ad and it was taken down quickly.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/264554919129

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
I'm in North Alabama, so not too far from you. folks down here are very proud of their TJ's.:)

I have run across a few that looked like good deals, but not often. It will take a lot of searching to come up with a "steal" and you need to be quick to beat the dealers/resellers.

most folks sitting on a rust free TJ figure it out pretty quick.

Quite a few rust free TJs for sale down here on the Gulf Coast and it's only about a 6-8 hr drive from TN. I drive by two around Gulfport, MS, both under $10K and in pretty good shape. I bought a very well-kept, unmolested 2001 Sahara for $9K. Expand your search.

**Edit** I think the reason behind the abundance of them down here is that they are too small to wheel! The side by sides are bigger than most lifted Jeeps and they swamp them in 3-4' deep holes. Jeeps would be swallowed in most of the trails around here.