Eastern vs Magnaflow catalytic converters

Hcwlsu101

TJ Enthusiast
I am about to tackle my rear main seal and figure I will also update the cats and exhaust while in the process. They are original and look pretty rough. I am considering the Eastern or Magnaflow. The Magnaflow is double the cost, but is all stainless. Do you guys think it is worth the cost. I just don’t want to put something on an be in the same boat three years from now with rust.

I would really appreciate any input, especially those of you that run either.

Thanks!

The Magnaflow is no better than the Eastern. I ran the Eastern ones and they are just fine.

They're all made in the same place anyways. Wasting the money on the Magnoflow one would literally be just that... a waste.

I am about to tackle my rear main seal and figure I will also update the cats and exhaust while in the process. They are original and look pretty rough. I am considering the Eastern or Magnaflow. The Magnaflow is double the cost, but is all stainless. Do you guys think it is worth the cost. I just don’t want to put something on an be in the same boat three years from now with rust.

I would really appreciate any input, especially those of you that run either.

Thanks!
I'm a big fan of stainless, if you can afford the cost.

I've had my Jeep for 14 years, and plan on keeping it until either it or me dies. So I'd spend the money for stainless.

I just put Eastern on my Jeep late last summer and haven’t had any issues with it. Install went smoothly. Although I do think it very slightly made the exhaust note deeper. Can’t really tell you much about rust though

I’m running the Flowmaster (assuming you are talking newer TJ’s with midpipe and 3 cats).

Been running it about 9 months, great fit and happy with the purchase. Stainless steel and won’t break the bank:
https://www.flowmastermufflers.com/...&year1=2005&model=356&submodel=144&engine=330

Most emissions devices like this are going to be of somewhat decent quality since they have mandates on how long they have to be warrantied. I’d say the MF definitely isn’t worth the cost, especially since it will likely be the substrate that craps out first, just like on my stock midpeipe after 13 years and 100k.

I’m running the Flowmaster (assuming you are talking newer TJ’s with midpipe and 3 cats).

Been running it about 9 months, great fit and happy with the purchase. Stainless steel and won’t break the bank:
https://www.flowmastermufflers.com/...&year1=2005&model=356&submodel=144&engine=330

Most emissions devices like this are going to be of somewhat decent quality since they have mandates on how long they have to be warrantied. I’d say the MF definitely isn’t worth the cost, especially since it will likely be the substrate that craps out first, just like on my stock midpeipe after 13 years and 100k.
Not mandrell bent like the OEM mopar ones, but it will work with a minor reduction in performance. Tim

Not mandrell bent like the OEM mopar ones, but it will work with a minor reduction in performance. Tim

They look fine to me and they perform great. Here is an actual picture of the product

Screen Shot 2019-01-18 at 7.09.06 PM.png

They look like a fine product, unfortunately, for those of us lucky enough to live in California, they are not CARB compliant. I believe the Magnaflow is.
Yeah, you guys have it tough out there :( Since they have to pay to be compliant, they have to pass that cost on down the line. OP @Hcwlsu101 should be fine in Baton Rouge, at least I would think! I love the Flowmaster product thus far. For $250, the quality is impressive. I installed the Banks exhaust at the same. It is not very much lot louder overall than stock because the 3 cats keep it pretty tame, but it has a slightly lower tone and an awesome subtle rumbling when I get off the gas and let her roll. Now I just hope my stock exhaust manifold can hang in there a while longer!

I went with the MF about three weeks ago nd I am happy so far. Mech better sounding than the orig that had 144K on it. Fought the check engine light for 4 months and finally bit the bullet!

Hey @mots and @Apparition - being that you guys are in the rust belt, how is your Flowmaster holding up after going through a couple winters?

Also, do you guys have emissions in your state, and if yes, any issues there?

The prices of these cats have skyrocketed since the pandemic so I want to get this one right.

Thanks in advance!

Hey @mots and @Apparition - being that you guys are in the rust belt, how is your Flowmaster holding up after going through a couple winters?

Also, do you guys have emissions in your state, and if yes, any issues there?

The prices of these cats have skyrocketed since the pandemic so I want to get this one right.

Thanks in advance!
I store mine in the winter so unfairly no issue there. But I’d say it’s it’ll hold up like any other exhaust.

No emissions here either. I don’t see why it’d be an issue though. The flow master is a direct replacement.

I store mine in the winter so unfairly no issue there. But I’d say it’s it’ll hold up like any other exhaust.

No emissions here either. I don’t see why it’d be an issue though. The flow master is a direct replacement.

Thanks for that honest answer.

You know the old saying, you only know what you know, so while I assumed the Flowmaster would pass emissions, confirmation from a forum member goes a lot further than the sales pitch language.

Reactions: Apparition