Easy and Cheap Spare Tire Bumpers

ToddL

TJ Enthusiast
Hi everyone. First post for me. My Jeep had a spare tire spacer on the mount bracket, and the tire was not on the rubber bumpers. I am running 32 x 11.5 on stock wheels. I removed the spacer to move the tire in closer to the tailgate. The stock bumpers were too long, so I made some new ones. I use fuel tubing and heater hose and it worked great. Cut a 1/2 length of fuel tube and use the stock bolt with a washer to loosely attach to the tailgate. Then, cut heater hose to the length you need for the bumpers. Slip it over the fuel tubing and tighten the bolt up. The inner fuel tube expands when you tighten to secure the heater hose. Believe me, the heater hose is plenty stiff for a good bumper. See pictures.

Worked great for me.

IMG_1267.JPGIMG_1268.JPGIMG_1269.JPGIMG_1270.JPGIMG_1271.JPG

Creative!

I just bought some longer bolts, bought extra factory tailgate bumpers and cut them to whatever length I needed, and then put them behind my current tailgate bumpers (in this case, I needed them longer)!

Reactions: Starrs and ebutner
Awesome first post! I'll be a lot of people are going to find this post to be very useful, since I see this question come up a lot.

Thanks for taking the time to make this!

Reactions: macox49 and StG58
Creative!

I just bought some longer bolts, bought extra factory tailgate bumpers and cut them to whatever length I needed, and then put them behind my current tailgate bumpers (in this case, I needed them longer)!
Cool, That will work for me. Thanks.

Reactions: Chris