Easy way to check inner axle seals?

wolf1790

Installed new ball joints and when I removed my axles, there was quite a bit of differential fluid that leaked out of the axle tubes. Afterwards, I've had a slow leak from the tubes, but only after a drive.

My jeep also has those dumb outer axle seals. My theory [hope] is that those outer seals are holding the fluid in the tubes except when I'm driving, and that maybe my inner seals are fine.

Is there a way to easily test the inner seals to verify if they're leaking or not?

Picture for reference

20190420_144744.jpg

The way to check if they are leaking, is seeing fluid leaking out of the axle tube. Those outer seals aren't helping or keeping the fluid in the differential where it belongs. It would take a significant amount of oil to fill the center section and tubes to keep everything lubricated properly. You need to replace them if you are seeing fluid leaking.

Reactions: tworley
X2.

The tubes on the front axle are dry. Only the center diff has lube in it.

I think you both misunderstood my question. I'm aware that the diff has fluid and not the tubes. I'm saying that when I removed the axles to replace my ball joints, fluid was displaced from the differential into my tubes. What's a good way to determine if it's just the residual fluid from when I removed the axle, or a leaking seal.

Hose out the tube and see what happens. There is no way to check the seal. The chance that you caused the seals to leak on a 20 year old rig are close to 100%.

Based on your photo it looks like a tad more lube is coming out than what would come with removing a shaft.

Hose out the tube and see what happens. There is no way to check the seal. The chance that you caused the seals to leak on a 20 year old rig are close to 100%.

Should've added this earlier, but the axles on my jeep are off of a Rubicon, not sure when they were replaced.

Ended up tearing the front end apart and the seals were almost brand new. (Top is used seal, bottom is new)

Based on your photo it looks like a tad more lube is coming out than what would come with removing a shaft.

I think it's because it may have been a little over filled to begin with, coupled with the outer seals (which have been removed)

20190531_114643.jpg

20190531_114635.jpg

Reactions: Fixer6