Eaton E-Locker replacement switch options

SvtLdr

Search Engine Certified Mechanic
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Any suggestions on a replacement rocker switch for the ELocker? I contacted Eaton and was told I'd have to purchase a complete wiring kit (BIG $$$). I've found a few generic versions online that look like they'd work ok. I haven't found any with the safety lock-out like the Eaton switch has. I kinda like that feature and would prefer to have another like that if possible. Any help would be appreciated.

A simple heavy duty (for reliability's sake) on-off switch is all you need. You can easily add a plastic flip-off cover to a standard size toggle switch. SPST (single pole, single throw) type switch is all you need. I'd avoid any with plastic toggles, or any cheap switches even with a steel toggle.

This is what I added over the top of my locker switches.

Locker Switches 2.JPG

Reactions: Zorba and ScottCO
Post a picture if you can. Most of those switches are available somewhere, Eaton probably doesn't make them in house.

Edit: Eaton probably does make them in house, I think they are related to the NGR series

Last edited:
A simple heavy duty (for reliability's sake) on-off switch is all you need. You can easily add a plastic flip-off cover to a standard size toggle switch. SPST (single pole, single throw) type switch is all you need. I'd avoid any with plastic toggles, or any cheap switches even with a steel toggle.

This is what I added over the top of my locker switches.

View attachment 161561
Jerry, you are missing the copper "incase of emergency" safety wire! :)

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
I did find what I think is the Eaton switch. They are modular and you can piece them together with a long part number to order them. A "G" at some point in the part number makes the switch locking. If just the body is broken you can replace that if you know how you want it wired.

https://www.newark.com/eaton/ngr20051bn00n/switch-base-ngr-series-rocker/dp/16F8148

Unfortunately things like the lock, illumination and all the little details including the picture are going to be tough to match if Eaton diffs doesn't give you the broader Eaton NGR part number.

Not much use really.

Remove your broken switch and get the part number off the side of it. Then do a search.

Reactions: Mr. Bills
I don't have any input for the lockout but I used one of the eBay switches that looks like a stock one, and put it the stock switch housing.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=254222923902

(mine is in the rear, so mine says rear diff lock, not front, but that's the first one that showed up)
It appears that the OE switches are a little smaller than the ones used by Eaton but I think they'd work ok. Looks like Eaton uses Contura 2 rocker switches (.83" x 1.45").
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N4G4IIQ/?tag=wranglerorg-20

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
I did find what I think is the Eaton switch. They are modular and you can piece them together with a long part number to order them. A "G" at some point in the part number makes the switch locking. If just the body is broken you can replace that if you know how you want it wired.

https://www.newark.com/eaton/ngr20051bn00n/switch-base-ngr-series-rocker/dp/16F8148

Unfortunately things like the lock, illumination and all the little details including the picture are going to be tough to match if Eaton diffs doesn't give you the broader Eaton NGR part number.

Not much use really.
No, I appreciate it, thank you. I believe that's the correct switch. I pulled a couple numbers from the Eaton wiring diagram, Carling 44305 with actuator 44362. Neither number appear to be exactly what I need but I'm in the ballpark.

Thanks again for everyone's feedback. Here's a couple photos for reference.
20200516_065706.jpg
20200516_064410.jpg
20200516_064342.jpg
20200516_063927.jpg

Reactions: JMT
If @Lou can't hook you up. I just purchased an E-locker and I plan on using a switch I pulled off ebay that matches the rear wiper like the one posted by @freedom_in_4low. I'm installing next week and as long as everything works out and I don't need it (which I shouldn't), I'll send it to you for free.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
If @Lou can't hook you up. I just purchased an E-locker and I plan on using a switch I pulled off ebay that matches the rear wiper like the one posted by @freedom_in_4low. I'm installing next week and as long as everything works out and I don't need it (which I shouldn't), I'll send it to you for free.
That would be great, I'd really like to have a spare or two on hand. I'm happy to pay you something for them.

No, I appreciate it, thank you. I believe that's the correct switch. I pulled a couple numbers from the Eaton wiring diagram, Carling 44305 with actuator 44362. Neither number appear to be exactly what I need but I'm in the ballpark.
Sorry to bring up old thread. But where did you end up finding the "lockout" Switches from Eaton?

Well if you buy them from Eaton, you will pay more, just google the part numbers and you will find many options like Newark, Digikey, etc.

Sorry to bring up old thread. But where did you end up finding the "lockout" Switches from Eaton?
I wasn't able to find an exact replacement for the switches. Eaton only sells them as part of a complete wiring kit for $100+...

I'm interested in purchasing a switch if you have one available.