Eaton Elocker

I hear good things about them. In fact, if my factory Rubicon lockers ever need to be replaced I will undoubtedly be going with an e-locker. They're just as strong as an ARB from everything I've read (I've heard from some people who have owned both).

They are looking like useful and reliable kit. It's interesting that Eaton keeps upgrading them as issues are found. Shows commitment to the product.

Eaton has been around forever. Eaton actually cares about addressing issues which is a good thing.

I've actually heard from some that ARBs aren't everything they're cracked up to be. Either way, I guarantee you that an Eaton e-Locker is not a bad differential. Sure, there's stories out there about 'issues', but the same can be said for just about anything, especially if you beat the piss out of it.

I have no personal experience with Eaton, but I believe they have a solid reputation. I personally don't like the thought of a magnetic or electrical actuation just because it seems like a potential high-maintenance item. I feel the same about air actuation. That's based on zero fact; just my personal opinion.

I run OX lockers front and rear because of the simple actuation (cable). I had one cable failure in the 4-5 years I've run OX. That was because of my own ghetto ingenuity; I had the cable tethered via a wire tie, and the tie broke; causing the cable to get crunched between my control arm bracket and a rock. The cable got frayed, but didn't even sever. But it was no problem, as I could still actuate the locker directly at the diff via OX's $25 Drive-Away Lock, which I carry. I personally prefer low maintenance items.

For that price point, you have several different options. Regardless, a selectable locker is definitely the right way to go, IMO.

Reactions: KCsTJ and mouth
IMG_20151120_152512.jpg
Only used mine twice so far, so no extensive review, but I'm very pleased so far.

I chose the Eaton over the ARB because of my past experiences with pneumatics and electric actuators. I simply prefer electric actuation.

I hope to have good luck with them

IMG_20151120_152512.jpg

Reactions: Chris
I chose the Eaton over the ARB because of my past experiences with pneumatics and electric actuators. I simply prefer electric actuation.

I agree 100% on this.

Also, I'm not sure why but your setup sort of looks cool with the factory radio, haha.

Reactions: CasterTroy
Wow! It seems the E-Locker has really gone up in price. Weren't they cheaper than ARB's at one time?

Hmmm, lowest price I can find on the Eaton is $933, lowest price ARB (sans compressor) is $940. Locker on our F600 at work was air. It was reliable.

The 33 spline Dana 44 ARB comes with bearings.

Locker on our F600 at work was air. It was reliable.
Yep only if you pay attention to either old wive's tales or if the ARB was installed by someone who didn't know what they were doing is there any reason to fear air lockers.

When I did a quick study 4 years ago of the percentage of King of the Hammers competition vehicles using ARB Air Lockers vs. everything else, I recall something like 89% were running ARBs. If ARB Air Lockers weren't reliable, 89% of the best built 4x4 vehicles wouldn't be running them. The next biggest percentage was Detroit Locker, misc. lockers, then last in the total number used was the Ox Locker. Properly installed, the ARB is at least as reliable as any other locker out there. I'd call it bulletproof. Nope, I don't run ARBs since I can't afford them... my personal locker experience is Detroit Locker, No-Slip Locker, Detroit Gearless (it busted up after 6 weeks) and my present Rubicon lockers.

Without question the ARB is tougher than anything else. But I'll never be competing at KOH or anything close. Like I said previously, my choice is based on my professional experience with pneumatic over electronic. Not knocking ARB just preference

Without question the ARB is tougher than anything else. But I'll never be competing at KOH or anything close. Like I said previously, my choice is based on my professional experience with pneumatic over electronic. Not knocking ARB just preference
I only said anything because you questioned the reliability of the ARB's use of air for actuation. My point was that if the ARB's air actuator system wasn't reliable enough to survive North America's arguably toughest long distance event, the overwhelming majority of its serious competitors wouldn't be running them. :)

I know what you're saying for sure.....but Longevity is my issue with ANY pneumatics

None of the KOH guys will leave those diffs unopened for years at a time. Just like the engines of drag racers they will be torn down, inspected and maintained thoroughly and frequently. Air lines replaced, parts and fittings inspected closely.

That's racing

We could ALL benefit from aluminum roller rocker heads...yet we're ALL running cast iron in our 4.0s

I know what you're saying for sure.....but Longevity is my issue with ANY pneumatics

None of the KOH guys will leave those diffs unopened for years at a time. Just like the engines of drag racers they will be torn down, inspected and maintained thoroughly and frequently. Air lines replaced, parts and fittings inspected closely.

That's racing

We could ALL benefit from aluminum roller rocker heads...yet we're ALL running cast iron in our 4.0s

Hesco can sell you an aluminum head for an arm and a leg, haha!

Eaton has been around forever. Eaton actually cares about addressing issues which is a good thing.

I've actually heard from some that ARBs aren't everything they're cracked up to be. Either way, I guarantee you that an Eaton e-Locker is not a bad differential. Sure, there's stories out there about 'issues', but the same can be said for just about anything, especially if you beat the piss out of it.
Don't believe the crap about ARB's. Little of it comes from real world experience.

Eaton makes a solid locker. As a comparison though, the little old school ARB compressor I have in my rig has been in there longer than OX has been in business. I see few locker failures with the exception of factory lockers that aren't the fault of the driver doing something he shouldn't have been on a less than stellar install.

In my personal stable I have twin ARB's in the crawler, TJM air in a rear 44, JK 44 front, HP 30 ARB with a Rubi 44, 2 33 spline 44 ARB's on the shelf, and a Detroit Trutrac beside them. I'm not a locker snob and I'll run most things with a good rep.

If I build another set of axles, the rear will have an ARB or E-Locker and the front will be full case Detroit.

That's racing

How much longevity do you expect? I've never had an air issue I didn't create and the only issue I've had with ARB o-rings were ones where I split the housing and the prying from the axle took out the o-rings. The pneumatics in the ARB are at least as reliable as any aspect of any system on a TJ.

Don't believe the crap about ARB's. Little of it comes from real world experience.

Eaton makes a solid locker. As a comparison though, the little old school ARB compressor I have in my rig has been in there longer than OX has been in business. I see few locker failures with the exception of factory lockers that aren't the fault of the driver doing something he shouldn't have been on a less than stellar install.

In my personal stable I have twin ARB's in the crawler, TJM air in a rear 44, JK 44 front, HP 30 ARB with a Rubi 44, 2 33 spline 44 ARB's on the shelf, and a Detroit Trutrac beside them. I'm not a locker snob and I'll run most things with a good rep.

If I build another set of axles, the rear will have an ARB or E-Locker and the front will be full case Detroit.

If the day comes where my factory Rubicon lockers fail I intend to replace them with an ARB or an Eaton elocker. Both of those are as good as it gets from what I've read.

Haven't really put the factory Rubicon lockers to the test.