Eaton Truetrac Questions

I hope you've done your research on the 8.8, you loose something like 2" of clearance over a super35.
I think I've done about all the research I can without actually swapping one first hand. I've chatted with guys on here, elsewhere online, and a couple others local that have first hand experience with the 8.8. With doing a V8 swap I don't know how much I'd rely on a Dana 35, even a Super 35. Especially once I start running lockers. I strongly considered just going to a Dana 60 in the rear, but didn't want to deal with how wide it was, or trying to crop it down to a near stock width. If my TJ was just a trail rig it wouldn't be as cumbersome, but since it will be a DD I didn't want 5"+ of extra width in the back. If you or anyone else here has more insight on the 8.8 I'll gladly listen!

There is nothing, IMHO, better than a selectable locker for a rig that sees a bit of everything.
If you can do a gear swap yourself then the TT would be great until you get lockers. But if you have to pay to have them installed then you will be spending $6-800 for a install that could be saved for a locker install. Just my thoughts.

At the end of the day some people spend more money putting an 8.8 in vs just getting a Dana 44 not even factoring in time spent. All of the little things add up. They are similar in strength but the 8.8 hangs pretty low so even if the costs are similar the Dana 44 seems like a better choice. If you're considering a Dana 60, don't take my advice too seriously, I have no idea how a Dana 44, 8.8 or Dana 60 really compare.

It's like any other modification, it depends on where you live and how you use your jeep. I have a 2003 with 35s, a 5.9 v8, 4.56 gears, hp Dana 30/ Dana 44 combo. I currently run an open front, trutrac rear. It works well for me. In the summer, it's just cruising around easy trails, sand dunes, etc. In the winter, we like to play in the snow. A couple of my friends run lockers front and rear and hate them. They can not keep their jeeps on the trail. The locked front just pushes around and you cannot control it.

I am going to add a trutrac to the front this fall hopefully. That's what works for me.

I totally get that lockers rule in the rocks. Like I ( and many others) have said, what do you want to do with the vehicle?
Most people are surprised to learn that the rear locker is what "pushes you around." There is a great video where John Currie demonstrates how the rear locker pushes a rig off line.

Reactions: jjvw
I put TTs front and rear in my Jeep 8,9 or 10 years ago and never worried about lockers after that. Sure, lockers would be beneficial in certain situations but I have been all over Moab and Coloado and have had very little issues. I have plenty articulation so I can actually go on more than flat ground and still have plenty of traction. I will never be on hardcore rock trails, and don't care either, but the types of trails I do enjoy my TTs are very good and still impress me. I also have a winch for the times I push the limits too much. (y)

Most people are surprised to learn that the rear locker is what "pushes you around." There is a great video where John Currie demonstrates how the rear locker pushes a rig off line.
This is one of the reasons I recommend selectable lockers.

Reactions: Rob5589
Not Trying a hi or lo Jack of the thread. But this seems to be a good place to ask..
96 TJ with a 2.5L, 4:11 gears, stock axles D 30 front D (M 35) rear. 30/9.5 tires. Alaska is the Great White North, Lots of Ice and Snow for a long time..

Thinking about Eaton E locker in the front and Eaton Trutrac rear. Will the stock axles work or should I start saving for Supers and E lockers?

Thanks Bob

Not Trying a hi or lo Jack of the thread. But this seems to be a good place to ask..
96 TJ with a 2.5L, 4:11 gears, stock axles D 30 front D (M 35) rear. 30/9.5 tires. Alaska is the Great White North, Lots of Ice and Snow for a long time..

Thinking about Eaton E locker in the front and Eaton Trutrac rear. Will the stock axles work or should I start saving for Supers and E lockers?

Thanks Bob
Stock tire size you should be fine with stock axles with the trutrac rear and with the snow you’re best bet is to get with a selectable locker in the front.

If it is going to be a daily driver in the wintertime I would rather have a limited slip in the rear than a selectable locker. It's too late when you start to spin off the road to start looking for switches. And its FREE! If/when you upgrade to a locker you can then sell the free axle to help cover the cost. Or you may find out you like the limited slip. Either way it is better than an open diff. And since opinions are like..... I would think again about an 8.8. I don't see why some folks would go that way over a S35 or a 44 in a Jeep.
And for lo-jack, I've been amazed at what a 4 cyl can do in the snow. You have less of a chance to overpower the road conditions and with studded tires they can be great on bad roads. (Studs are crap on clear roads. Especially up front when braking.)
That is my 3 cents.