Echo auto

FirstJeep

TJ Enthusiast
Has anyone tried this in a Jeep yet? I got mine a few days ago and wondered if anyone had any reports on how it works in the inside of a noisy Jeep?

I installed A sony XAV-AX100, it has carplay and i can use siri, very happy with it. Never seen Echo Auto

I have her and she seems to hear me pretty good. I haven't tried talking to her with the top back or uppers out going down the freeway yet, but I have talked to her just going down the city streets and had no problems.

Here is where I keep her. I am trying the out of sight out of mind thing. LOL So she hears me pretty well for being down by the seat.

fullsizeoutput_3e25.jpeg

Last edited:
I installed A sony XAV-AX100, it has carplay and i can use siri, very happy with it. Never seen Echo Auto

I have a Sony that has CarPlay too. The thing I noticed is that Siri works great if my phone is out of my pocket. Well, except there is a long delay between when the phone hears me and the radio picks her up. I tried putting something on a shopping list, which she had to create, but when I go to my phone to see what is on the shopping list, I can't find one. LOL I can ask her what is on my list, but when I am at the store, I prefer to actually look at the list, not have her tell me or have to ask her every few minutes so I can make sure I get the next thing on the list. :D With Alexa, she actually responds quick and adds to an actual list in the app. One I can go check off things as I get them.

So neither Siri, or Alexa actually meet my needs to a T, but for now I am happy for what they can do. Will look forward to them getting better and working with all stereo selections, tuner or aux or bluetooth. :D If Alexa would work on tuner mode, it would be a perfect world for me in my Jeep. LOL

I have the same head unit in my Jeep and I do have Echo Auto. Siri can never understand a damn thing I say. Alexa Works fine it just takes too long to get ready after I turn on the Jeep (2 minutes or so). I have mine mounted on the steering column. Less noticeable than in the vent. I actually have two Echo Autos in two cars. I would say they might be worth the $24.99 I paid for each. But definitely not worth the $50 regular price.

You guys have your tj spying on you too? I certainly don't need a record of the dumb assed things I do while in the jeep!

Well, so far she hasn't told me to slow down. :D I'm not to concerned with the "spying" part of things. I mean really, there could be cameras in your tv or what ever. If someone wants to know what I put on my shopping list, more power to them. LOL :D

Does the echo eat up your cellular data plan though?

That is the bad thing that I didn't read the fine print. LOL I thought she would be able to control my iTunes Library. She can't. She can only do things that use data. So, I can ask her to play iheart80's or sometime she will pull songs from Amazon music, if I ask for a particular song. That all uses data.

When I first got her, I listened to iheart80's a few times. I checked my data usage and it didn't seem like it used a whole lot, but I can't say for sure as I really don't keep track of it. I'm going to do an experiment and check it one day, then play iheart80's for a couple of days and see how much I use in that time.

I use my phone a lot for surfing FB and checking the forum when I'm at work so I don't want to waste it on music in my vehicle if I can get music for free. That is unless I find that streaming it doesn't use to much data.

It won’t use any more data than something like stitcher, Pandora, Apple Music, etc. depends on your plan. But I have a 5Gig monthly limit on my phone. I stream Pandora or amazon music all day long and never run into issues. The only times ive ever had issues is one month it was particularly slow at work and I was watching a lot of YouTube using cell (no WiFi network at my job).

Reactions: KimsJeep
It won’t use any more data than something like stitcher, Pandora, Apple Music, etc. depends on your plan. But I have a 5Gig monthly limit on my phone. I stream Pandora or amazon music all day long and never run into issues. The only times ive ever had issues is one month it was particularly slow at work and I was watching a lot of YouTube using cell (no WiFi network at my job).

This is good to know. I wasn't sure how it really worked. I have over I have 19GB's left to use so I should be fine. :D