Economy driveshaft broken woes

t56tr

Hello have been lurking finally decided to register and share this.

Did an economy 4” lift in a 2000 4.0.

Also did their sye and driveshaft.

Overall the jeep seems to ride ok and have been driving it daily (so far about 2000 miles on lift).

After dialing in rear pinion driveline was smooth as glass.

Pulling away from a stop today the tranny jumped out of first with a violent bang. I put it back into first and was on the way. However, now with a horrible vibration. Limped it home and found this.

PS still dialing in the steering. Not quite the feel I would like yet, but dealing with a box with 250k on it and worn out front axle joints.

IMG_6027.jpeg

IMG_6028.jpeg

IMG_6029.jpeg

Awesome - building is such a great time!

When I say "economy" it was still like $1400 for just the lift not including the sye and driveshaft.

Im not trying to bash any companies or hard workers. So put it to you this way...if you were in the "country" and it was the opposite of smooth it would be......

So put it to you this way... those people put yours and other peoples lives at risk.

You do you if your cool with that.

Reactions: lBasket and Zorba
So put it to you this way... those people put yours and other peoples lives at risk.

You do you if your cool with that.

With welds like that... no telling what else they cheaped out on.... Chinese U joints.
Spend the money and contact Tom Woods for a QUALITY driveshaft....
Tom and Shawn GUARANTEE their products.

Is that def a weld failure or did that tube just shear ie too thin, or inferior quality, or weakened from the heat of the weld in that area?

Is that def a weld failure or did that tube just shear ie too thin, or inferior quality, or weakened from the heat of the weld in that area?

That is a driveline builder that did not bevel the tube and need their eyes checked as they missed the tube by a mile. The company you purchased that from should be sending out a new shaft and a call tag and make that embarrassing POS disappear.

Who is "their"?

That's horrible. Looks like it was welded next to the joint and not in it. So many bad scenarios having something like that fail.

I would clean it all up, bevel, phase it how it was pre break if there are balance weights , and weld it.

Looks like it was welded off the joint to me as well.

Rough country sells garbage. Their name should be in the thread title

I think they just missed the splice joint with the weld, I do it a lot with my shitty eyesight anymore. Probably a robot weld and they didn't get it jigged up correctly and it missed the splice

I think they just missed the splice joint with the weld, I do it a lot with my shitty eyesight anymore. Probably a robot weld and they didn't get it jigged up correctly and it missed the splice

x2. The other weld below it looks the same way, you can still see the shoulder of the sleeve. Honestly, this is your daily so fix it right and chalk this up to a small lesson learned. We've all made them. Weld it up and keep it as spare. Grab new one from a reputable company. A good DS recommendation would be a musical artist's first name who sang "Running Down a Dream" and what you would call it if you were standing in the forest.